Returning to your ex-club (can you? have you?)

I just read for the first time that a user was able to return to his former club after leaving it for another. :)

So far I thought this was virtually impossible as you get to be one of their hated people the minute you leave, no matter what you have achieved for the club while being their manager. :(

I'm still afraid that this area is somewhat flawed, because achievements which would instantly make you a club legend are not recognised as such and people even hate if you leave, but now I have some hope that it is maybe not AS bad.

So tell me, have you been able to return to a club you managed before in the same savegame? Or did you try and were turned down? What were the circumstances like?

(also asking because I feel like a new challenge these days, but would be sad if I was unable to return to my current club forever)

Cheers :)

Not on my current game, but on a previous saved game I was manager of Chelsea and won pretty much everything with them and when I left they did not dislike me, I think it depends very much on the circumstances of which you left. If you go to a direct rival, leave when your reputation isnt so great etc then they will not really want you back - but leave under "good" terms to manage the national team or go abroad or to a different league then I think you'll be alright.

this is something which i have often wondered about. i often start my managerial career at KR in iceland, my local club. usually, after a slow start, i do very well and get them into europe and easily the best team in iceland. i get bored with this dominance after about 5-6 seasons usually and then, although i find it hard, leave the club for pastures new (recent examples have been Tottenham and Halmstad).

i once tried to come back after a failed period in england, but they didnt want me, and i ended up in a first division side in iceland. as a matter of fact, i dont think they have ever wanted me back, despite my usual great success...

i dont think there should have been any hard feelings. when i left for tottenham, we had just built a new state of the art stadium after being in the champions league for 3 seasons in a row (once making it into the 2nd round).

once i actually returned to an old club and the fans didnt 'recognise' me. i had won 1-2 league title with them and when i came in, i was just another manager...havent tried it in fm09 so dont know if its been 'fixed'

Archived