why move there?

i am not sure what the ai is doing but when a team gets relegated from a top division they fire the manager. A manager from the division below has who has already got promotion with his team to that league will join the relegated team leaving his newly promoted side for another manager.

Well hey, I'm Popmey manager at the time, and yeah finances pretty tight, but they are capable of attracting few big name players.

I bought Ribery after finishing 10th. What club did he leave? I'm sure it was a smaller side.

Yes, I've seen this happen quite a bit, between teams in the same division too. Also Rafa Benitez quit Liverpool for Real Madrid with Liverpool top with 6-7 to play and Madrid in 10th...this started a massive chain reaction of big clubs changing managers across Europe, Liverpool got Milan's manager, they got Arsenal's and so on until Paul Jewell ended up at Arsenal after virtually relegating Sunderland...weird

I see :cool: well maybe it's about long term prospects. It could be that the manager feels he's joining a bigger club, that can get back up and challenge for success, something he doesn't feel he can do with his original team.

Funily enough that reminded me of Paul Jewel leaving Wigan then soon after joining Derby saying it was a club going forward, Even when they were mathmatically down and being embarrsed week in week out he promised them that the pain would be replaced with promotion the next season.

Ha Ha How wrong was he, Look at Wigan and then look at Derby :p Obviously Wigan did not need Paul Jewel so much because they are still doing fine without him, Obviously was the players doing the business and not him as much as he thought he was.

This makes me think of poor old Billy Davies at Derby. He gets them promoted from teh Championship, realises that he has no money and that the team arent good enough so he decides to hand in his resignation. The chairman fights tooth and nail to make sure little old Billy stays on. Billy thinks that "if the club think i can do a job, then maybe I can" and stays on. 5 months later they sack him because the team arent good enough and they have no money!

Poor old billy. I bet he would have jumped at the chance to manage portsmouth if they were relegated the season he got derby promoted!

This makes me think of poor old Billy Davies at Derby. He gets them promoted from teh Championship, realises that he has no money and that the team arent good enough so he decides to hand in his resignation. The chairman fights tooth and nail to make sure little old Billy stays on. Billy thinks that "if the club think i can do a job, then maybe I can" and stays on. 5 months later they sack him because the team arent good enough and they have no money!

Poor old billy. I bet he would have jumped at the chance to manage portsmouth if they were relegated the season he got derby promoted!

I think your facts are slightly out. Billy Davies just played the board to get a better contract, whilst fully intending to stay on as manager (he also did this to get a better contract at Preston when Derby had to appoint Phil Brown instead). It was later on in the season that he realised he was never going to save Derby, so he bad-mouthed the board in the press leaving them no choice but to sack him.

Going back on topic (if only slightly), I remember Dean Sturridge wanting to leave Derby (at the time a stable Premier club) to join Middlesbrough (at the time a reasonable Championship club) on the grounds that he felt he was moving to a bigger club.

A slightly different scenerio, but a few seasons ago when Juventus were relegated(/banished) to Serie B, they kept a decent chunk of their squad, I bet more than a few Serie A managers would have happily dropped down a division to take over that job.

In my experience of FM07/08, when playing as a BSN/S club from the start, I can eventually get them promoted to League Two, but I would always trade my team in for a Crewe/Bradford/Notts County that had been relegated to the BSP, as I know that with the increased gates I could comfortably take one of those sides to the Championship.

Archived