An idea for how a "Difficulty Level" could work within the game.

This idea struck me...

Now I know SI are not keen on "difficulty levels" and I can see why - the knock on to so many factors would make the game likely to be erratic & ultimately unplayable (with any satisfaction) if you consider how traditional difficulty levels could be applied to the game (weakening / grading of the AI, down rating of player stats etc.

But how about this......

....trusting that the Ass Man in-match feedback is good (it seems to be to me), at present you get notification of things going wrong for you, eg "we are misplacing too many easy passess" etc. Why not have an "easier" game level within which the only difference is that within the Ass Man's comments are advice for all points highlighted, instead of some as at present. the above example I believe would read "we are misplacing too many passes, we should think about lowering the tempo to prevent being rushed unnecessarily when in possession". That is just an example, you no doubt get the idea.

I think the Ass Man advice & calculations made to reach are is sophisticated enough to achieve this if re-programmed slightly. This would of course be an option that need not be taken for the purists.

This isn't a difficulty level though. This is how it should be, I'm sure that AMs in real life give this sort of advice all the time. When I heard about AM feedback, I saw it as them pointing out the problems and then telling you how to combat it.

This isn't a difficulty level though. This is how it should be, I'm sure that AMs in real life give this sort of advice all the time. When I heard about AM feedback, I saw it as them pointing out the problems and then telling you how to combat it.

...but I am assuming that the lack of this detailed secondary "advice" at present is because it is being deliberately witheld as it could make the game less of a challenge in SI's view?. Again it does depend on the reliability of the Ass Man, but I am experimenting with taking his advice as gospel and acting accordingly right now and the results are improved overall.

I believe the main difficulty for most people with FM tends to be in relation to tactical settings, given that there are literally thousands of different variables available. The "knight in shining armour" or "difficulty" aid in this respect should be the Tactical Wizard that they're testing with FM Live. Unfortunately I can't participate given my slow internet connection, but am keeping an eye on progress via the FML forums. The great thing about the concept of the Tactical Wizard is that if fully implemented, it will be up to the user to decide if they wish to use it or not.

The current "built-in" difficulty levels are already there based upon which club or league you choose to play. If for example your own ambition is to dominate domestic and European football for example, it's arguably going to be an easier experience with Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, than it is with Stoke, Hull, West Brom or Wigan. It's more difficult these days to do well with a smaller club, such as taking someone like Barnet to world-domination, as it should be, though with the right mix of luck, skill, judgement and most importantly, patience, it's still possible.

The only way a difficulty level works in my eyes is based purely on the club you choose.

Agreed. Difficulty levels are a bad idea. If you want it easy go to a top side in a top league. If you want a big challenge try the Brazilian 3rd Division or something.

The only way a difficulty level works in my eyes is based purely on the club you choose.

Very narrow-minded. So its OK if the game caters soley for glory hunting fans of the big clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea then?

What about those who are fans of Palace, Barnet, Torquay or other such clubs and want the same kind of success?

Very narrow-minded. So its OK if the game caters soley for glory hunting fans of the big clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea then?

What about those who are fans of Palace' date=' Barnet, Torquay or other such clubs and want the same kind of success?[/quote']

They should already be used to not win anything.

What about those who are fans of Palace' date=' Barnet, Torquay or other such clubs and want the same kind of success?[/quote']

Of course you can get sucess, but its in the long term, if you want to be one of those teams you need patience in order to get where the likes of United and Chelsea are.

They have to set their aim at something less ambitious and more realistic, if they want to choose a club of lower stature. The game is supposed to be realistic, a manager will have to consider what is realistic when setting his goals. Of course a club like Palace, Barnet, Torquay or the likes can achieve the same success as Liverpool, Chelsea or Man United, but not without doing this through long-term planning and a lot of effort.

• Administrators

Many many people have taken smaller clubs up the leagues to become the best teams in their country. Likewise people can use the editor to already make things easier for a specific club.

I don't really want to see difficulty levels introduced but I hate the 'big club = easy mode' arguement. An easy mode should allow you to have an easy game no matter who you start with.

If the OPs suggestion was used, it would have to be perfect, but then how do you balance how much power the AMs suggestions have?

You should take a look at dafuge's challenge in the CSE forum, people there have won Champions Leagues with teams who start below the BSN/S at the start of the game :thup:

When the idea of Assistant Manager feedback was first brought up by myself and Amaroq (apologies if anyone else had already brought it up before hand) in threads detailing how we felt the staff in the game could be more useful, I put forward this exact idea, and had hoped that this would be how the feedback would work.

My idea at the time was to have the option to ask your ass man to offer solutions to the problems he pointed out. So then the people who wanted to work this out for themselves still could do, and the people who needed a little more help could have it.

They just have to work harder for it. If people want instant success, they'll take charge of Chelsea for example. If they want to work at it and start lower down, they'll choose someone like Darlington. If they get to the top, their success will be a result of hard work, good tactics, sensible moves in the transfer market, and a long term commitment to the club which will no doubt feel more rewarding than having £100m to spend and the best players in the world and a massive wage budget. I'm Huddersfield and have got them to the Premiership. Ok I haven't won the league yet, but by getting into the Premiership i consider that to be a bigger and better success than taking Man Utd to the title, which anyone can do.

I was under the impression that your previous 'Footballing Experience' you select when choosing your managers background played a large role in how difficult your game was, too.

-------------

IMHO, the assistant advice provided is near-perfect. I don't think that it can get any more specific than 'Mark this player tightly, this one should be shown his weaker foot, tackle this one hard.' If the advice was anymore specific, I might as well go on holiday for matches.

With regards to passes not connecting: Direct ones aren't working? Try short ones. Short ones aren't connecting? Check your width vs. pitch or tempo vs. opponents closing you down. A single player isn't passing well? Check his passing settings vs. his skill (and the opponent marking him) & through ball settings aren't set to high when they aren't working.

Took me a half a season to understand (& develop the patience to adapt) the cues I was being offered. Now, most of my matches at half-time have my assistant saying "our passes are connecting", "the players look really up for this and are tackling well", "player x is dominating in the air" and "no tactical advice at this time."

You can do it! :cool:

Many many people have taken smaller clubs up the leagues to become the best teams in their country. Likewise people can use the editor to already make things easier for a specific club.

An "official" response would be more helpful if it didnt advocate "fiddling the game data to mend it" !, I feel.

My considered original suggestion was reasonable I feel and more constructive than....THIS!

A lot of people do want to manage non gallactico teams, success of course being relevant to club resource - we understand that, and do not expect to have to edit the game in their favour to make it playable.

When the idea of Assistant Manager feedback was first brought up by myself and Amaroq (apologies if anyone else had already brought it up before hand) in threads detailing how we felt the staff in the game could be more useful, I put forward this exact idea, and had hoped that this would be how the feedback would work.

My idea at the time was to have the option to ask your ass man to offer solutions to the problems he pointed out. So then the people who wanted to work this out for themselves still could do, and the people who needed a little more help could have it.

Precisely!

By the way, how do I deal with "none of our passess are hitting their target, whatever the length"? That one has me stumped (though I edged the game 1-0 anyway).

Precisely!

By the way, how do I deal with "none of our passess are hitting their target, whatever the length"? That one has me stumped (though I edged the game 1-0 anyway).

Just off the top of my head, consider these:

• Do you have high creativity on your 'low creative players'? They are simply trying to do things out of their ability or position.
  • A playmaker/target man (with the option ticked on) who is heavily marked and your team is forcing passes to him/them?
  • Are you trying through balls 'Always' on some or most of your players?
  • Is your teams formation too wide (not enough support) on a large pitch and you are using short passes?
  • Are you telling all of your backs to 'Never Run Forward' while you have your mid-field set to 'Always Run Forward'? - essentially making a long gap they have to pass through. This makes interceptions more likely.
  • Is your tempo too low and the opponent is closing you too quickly/easily and intercepting it?

Just off the top of my head, consider these:

• Do you have high creativity on your 'low creative players'? They are simply trying to do things out of their ability or position.
  • A playmaker/target man (with the option ticked on) who is heavily marked and your team is forcing passes to him/them?
  • Are you trying through balls 'Always' on some or most of your players?
  • Is your teams formation too wide (not enough support) on a large pitch and you are using short passes?
  • Are you telling all of your backs to 'Never Run Forward' while you have your mid-field set to 'Always Run Forward'? - essentially making a long gap they have to pass through. This makes interceptions more likely.
  • Is your tempo too low and the opponent is closing you too quickly/easily and intercepting it?

Wow thank you, plenty there to consider

• Administrators
An "official" response would be more helpful if it didnt advocate "fiddling the game data to mend it" !, I feel.

My considered original suggestion was reasonable I feel and more constructive than....THIS!

A lot of people do want to manage non gallactico teams, success of course being relevant to club resource - we understand that, and do not expect to have to edit the game in their favour to make it playable.

I wasn't saying that you have to edit it to make it playable, I'm just saying there is a tool officially provided by us which is an option if a player wanted to make it easier.

Of course I personally endorse play it like it is, and like a real manager learn the tools of the trade as you go - that was just a response to anyone who felt there was no way of having an 'easier' experience with a small, poor club!

I wasn't saying that you have to edit it to make it playable, I'm just saying there is a tool officially provided by us which is an option if a player wanted to make it easier.

Of course I personally endorse play it like it is, and like a real manager learn the tools of the trade as you go - that was just a response to anyone who felt there was no way of having an 'easier' experience with a small, poor club!

Fair comment, and I didnt mean to imply that the game is "unplayable" - I love it, though it isnt easy (but then, Im not Bracelona! LOL). I was disappointed that some well respected (in my opinion) members missed the point of my Post, I know contrived "difficulty levels" would be a mess and would not work as intended but felt that the Ass Man feedback idea gave a 2 level difficulty setting which would do the job for those that needed a little help with Wigan..., or Newport County.., or Arbroath... or whoever. I may have misjudged the ME v's feedback's sophistication, or even the status quo, though :-(

Archived