Goalkeeper ratings!

Yes thats right another whinging and whining thread.

IMO there are so many flawes with the GK ratings.

I have several examples which have made me write this.

1. Many people have said that when GK's get poor ratings after making save after save, its because they made other mistakes in the game which had brought the rating down. Now in theory this could be correct but when my keeper comes out of the area with the ball and loses it which results in a goal, and then proceeds to let another goal in to make it 2-0 after receiving a total of three SOT in the game and gets a 7.0 rating I beg to differ.

2. Andres Palop, need I say more. Im in 4th season he is now 38 but still must hate me as he ALWAYS gets at least 7.2. So of course I check back at his ratings over the season and of course his best two displays were against me(surprise surprise). Before anyone says maybe he gets himself up for games against the best team in the league, I have yet to win any competition although I have come close.

3. This one is my real problem with the GK's on FM09. In four seasons I could count on the fingers of one of Bart Simpson's hands the amount of times a good/v.good/top keeper has had a bad game against me, but they don't have any problems letting goals in against anyone else and its always the same keepers.

4. When a GK whether its human controlled or AI controlled lets in 4 or more goals they ALWAYS still get a 6.6 or above even if they have had to face 6 or 7 SOT, obviously if they have managed to keep the score at 4 by making save after save then they would deserve a mark of 6.6 and above.

5. Greyed out GK's also do so much better against human teams than AI teams. I had a Turkish team in my CL group who had quite a few greyed out players including the keeper who in both games got a 7.5 after making save after save after save in fact making 25 saves in both games. When they played the other 2 teams in the group all of a sudden he forgot how to catch a cold as he let in 12 goals in 4 games while letting in 2 in 2 against me!

I realise that there will be people that will say that there is no problem with the GK's but I ask you just to look at the ratings of the GK's on a regular basis.

Haven't experienced all of your points, but i have to say keepers' are a special beast in this game, their rating's at best are questionable and their positioning and decisions (even the very best) are poor, also the difference between a very good keeper and a very bad keeper in my experienceis neglegable.

I agree with most of your points. I especially hate how Victor Valdes plays a man of the match performance almost every time I've met Barcelona in 5 seasons. I think I've played them about 22 times and he's played a MOTM in about 16 of them. Now, I'm all for having a good keeper, but Valdes is probably one of the dodgiest keepers in the world today. He's so bad it's actually almost unbelievable that he still gets first team action for Barcelona. It's very, very frustrating.

The way to check on point 2 is to check back through all the keepers you have faced during a season and see if they have higher then normal ratings just against you.

If that sounds a little duanting, check back through say the last 10-15 games for the keepers you have played against and then check their ratings vs the rest of the league

Goalkeepers do need some more attention payed to them by SI though thats for sure.

They need more stats. There isnt a penalty saving one for starters

i find the difference between good and bad keepers isn't shown much in the game. My Assistant is always rating my keepers as poor but they do a generally excellent job. Its just as well to be honset because regen keepers don't develop into world class keepers very often, hence current keepers staying first choice well into their late 30s

The way to check on point 2 is to check back through all the keepers you have faced during a season and see if they have higher then normal ratings just against you.

If that sounds a little duanting, check back through say the last 10-15 games for the keepers you have played against and then check their ratings vs the rest of the league

Goalkeepers do need some more attention payed to them by SI though thats for sure.

They need more stats. There isnt a penalty saving one for starters

I did this and sure enough out of the 12 games I checked 11 of the GK's got a better rating than their average for the season. Also I checked on 3 keepers stats so far this season, 1 top class, 1 good and 1 below average, the results were like this. These were from 19 games and 3 randomly chosen teams.

1. Top class- Scored 7.8 against me while his next best score was 7.5 which he got once while he got one 7.4 and two 7.3 with the rest being below 7.

2. Good- Scored 7.4 against me with the rest being below 7.1.

3. Below average- Scored 7.9 against me with two 7.2, two 7.1 and the rest under 7.0

To be honest this doesn't surprise me one little bit.

I did this and sure enough out of the 12 games I checked 11 of the GK's got a better rating than their average for the season. Also I checked on 3 keepers stats so far this season, 1 top class, 1 good and 1 below average, the results were like this. These were from 19 games and 3 randomly chosen teams.

1. Top class- Scored 7.8 against me while his next best score was 7.5 which he got once while he got one 7.4 and two 7.3 with the rest being below 7.

2. Good- Scored 7.4 against me with the rest being below 7.1.

3. Below average- Scored 7.9 against me with two 7.2, two 7.1 and the rest under 7.0

To be honest this doesn't surprise me one little bit.

Thats pretty interesting...

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen?

i guess. When i get deep enough into my season i will investigate it also. BTW, maybe of interest of you - but if you overhype your team before a match by bigging them up in the media etc - apparently it has a massive effect on how the opposition keeper plays, i.e he plays a blinder agaisnt you! (apparently this has been noticed)

Just something to add to the discussion anyway

i guess. When i get deep enough into my season i will investigate it also. BTW, maybe of interest of you - but if you overhype your team before a match by bigging them up in the media etc - apparently it has a massive effect on how the opposition keeper plays, i.e he plays a blinder agaisnt you! (apparently this has been noticed)

Just something to add to the discussion anyway

hmm, interesting. That is definetly something to bear in mind.

My Assistant is always rating my keepers as poor but they do a generally excellent job.

That really bugs me, my keeper has pretty good stats but not fantastic, but he's done a better job for me consistently than any other keeper Ive ever had on this game.

He just won the European goalkeeper of the year award for the second year running and kept something like 25 clean sheets in the Prem in just under a season yet my assistant keeps telling me he is the weak link and needs to be replaced....ummm no

That really bugs me, my keeper has pretty good stats but not fantastic, but he's done a better job for me consistently than any other keeper Ive ever had on this game.

He just won the European goalkeeper of the year award for the second year running and kept something like 25 clean sheets in the Prem in just under a season yet my assistant keeps telling me he is the weak link and needs to be replaced....ummm no

If you look Ustari's stats he looks awful but apparantly has a very high PA, yet you can find keepers with all the right stats to make a world class keeper but they have not so good CA and PA. It must be down to hidden attributes I guess.

Archived