Attributes that make people good at assists

Hello,

I am wondering who the top setup men in FM09 are. Please post your opinions of who the best assisters are in order of top to bottom. It would be good to post a mixture of well known players and hidden gems. That way not only can people hear about players they didn't know about before, but we can also learn how good they are at setting up goals in comparison to well know players.

So if you list, say, David Beckham at 10th best in the game at setting up goals, and you put that you believe he averages around 10 to 15 assists a season, and then you put an unknown player at 11th overall, then people can know okay so the unknown player's assist count per season should be in the same range, and so forth. Sometimes even if you know a hidden gem is good, it's hard to tell how good they are compared to the stars of the game. This way at least in terms of assists we should be able to find out.

Okay here is the format to list the players. You can omit the starred "fields" but please don't omit the other ones unless you don't know them.

Name:

Team:

*Value:

Sale Value:

Assists per season in your experience:

(or, if you haven't used the player)

Projected assists per season in your opinion:

(And with this option if someone else has played with them they can quote your post and add what happened in their experience)

(i've only just started playing the game but here's one player).

Name: David Beckham

Team: Los Angeles

Value: 1-2mil

Sale Value: 3-6mil

Assists per season in my experience: 10-15+, maybe 20 or a few more if you play on a really good offensive team.

Estimated Ranking of assisting ability: He is probably somewhere between 10th and 30th in FM09 in terms of how good at assisting he is. He's probably no higher than 15th at best but I don't want to rule anything out since I haven't played FM enough to really know if there are a lot of other players out there capable of assisting well or not.

Okay now post and we'll see who ends up 1st and 2nd by consensus and should be very interesting.

Also, be sure to talk about kind of the hidden attributes that maybe aren't as obvious as "passing" and "creativity" but which contribute just as much to someone being able to set up goals. that way people have new things to look for in players!

http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=62535601.jpg

This chap could give Becks a run for his money ;)

Ugf, who am I kidding? I'm not funny. I don't even know why I keep trying.

Here's an analogy you'll like.

Martin Reilly gives Becks a run for his money with regard to assists in the same way that you give say Jerry Seinfeld a run for his money with regard to comedy.

I dont understand....

Jerry Seinfeld is not even funny,

thats a crap analogy.

+ Why post up players that the most blatently numb people will know about ?

If you went up to some random kid in Nepal and asked him to name a footballer the chances are he would say "David Beckham" so at least try to find some up and comer instead of the brand name that is "Beckham"

Posting Beckham up as an example of a player who can bag a load of assists is almost as self indulgent and boring as Seinfeld's show !!

Seinfeld is a witty and critically acclaimed show. The general consensus is that it's a funny show. The general consensus regarding many things though is wrong so I realize that doesn't prove that it's funny or anything. Anyway the reason your post was annoying is because I specifically stated I just started playing the game so I don't have enough experience with it to post an unnamed person. I wanted to post an assist person who i've had on my team, and I didn't understand how the tactics worked my first season so I barely scored all season, thus I barely had any players with any assists. Beckham was the only one, so I posted him. It was either him or no one and I needed to post one person just so people saw what info to post and everything.

Anyway post the best assist players out there!

A players assists stats are going to vary from game to game/season to season so I don't see how you are going to be able to rank them in any sort of order. For example Simon Vukcevic got me 30 assists one season playing in the majority of my teams games that season. Next season he got me 12 assists, playing the same amount of games with my team performing pretty similar to the previous season in terms of goals scored etc.

I don't see this working tbh.

Here's an analogy you'll like.

Martin Reilly gives Becks a run for his money with regard to assists in the same way that you give say Jerry Seinfeld a run for his money with regard to comedy.

lol, pretty good.

But tbf he looks like a good player in bsn for a big man little man combo

Attributes that can help make a player have high assist stats :-

Creativity

Crossing

Passing

Teamwork

Corners

Long Throws

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head as I'm at work.

what about decisions? IMO one of the most important attributes for your set up men.

I think one of my main problems is that you pretty much say

"Guys, name a rock band. Hey I bet you have never heard of Black Sabbath"

And I know its lame but it really bites my bullet because I play lower league and for me, asking for a premier / world class assist maker is really dumb because you have so much class to choose from and should be able to come to your own conclusion if you watch a little bit of football.

Just think of the International or big team squads and you can name about 30 awesome assist makers , hard hitters, shot blasters, ball placers or speed freaks without even thinking.

:( so sorry for the sarcasm but i find it so blatently obvious its anoying

Sigh

Attritbutes Key for assists.

Well it depends doesnt it, are you playing Set pieces football or are you playing open play.

What kind of player are you looking for ?

A Nimple little Brazilian "WTF did that pass come from" player

or A big 14 stone cant shift him off the ball holding mid who just lays it on the plate

OR

a Dennist Bergkamp style assistant striker who just lays them on a plate for his team mates

Any and all of the above. just the best players at assists statistically overall. As in regardless of their style of play who are the players they get the most assists? And I mean open football. To me there is no such thing as set piece football, other than your team is so bad that even though you're trying to play regular football you can't keep possession of the ball and the only hope you have of ever scoring is if you get a lucky set piece. But I don't call that set piece football. I just call that being bad at football and hoping to score from the rare set piece you get, because to get set pieces you have to play football, and then if you get set pieces obviously every team wants to score on them. its not like some teams are like "why don't we try to score from our set pieces?" oh that's a great idea. we'll call it set piece football," and others are like "well we have the set piece now but lets play the corner back to our keeper."

What I mean is everyone has to take set pieces so if there's someone who can rack up a lot of assists from set pieces without weighing down the team during play then that's someone worth mentioning. Anyway just anyone who can set up assists.

What I mean by waht attributes make assists happen is this. Obviously everyone knows passing but what i meant are what are hte secret attributes or the less obvious ones that maybe you don't think of that contribute to assists?

I looked at some of the best passers in the game and compared their attributes to see wht they all have in common. here's what i have so far.

Xavi:

First touch: 19 ///Cesc 17 // Deco 18 // Guti 20

Passing: 20 // 19 //

Technique: 18 // 18 // 18 // 18

Anticipation: 18 // 19 // 18 // 15

Composure: 18 // 18 // 17 // 16

Concentration: 17 // 17 // 18 // 12

Creativity: 19 // 19 // creaitivty // 20

Decisions: 19 // 16 // 15 // 17

Flair: 15 // 14 // 16 // 17

Off the Ball: 16 // 17 // 17 // 16

Teamwork: 17 // 17 // 18 // 12

Balance: 15 // 17 // 13

Sorry it's hard to line them up when i copy and paste but I've noticed that these players tend to have high anticipation, composure, technique, and decisions. I started wondering about anticipation before i even did this because i thought shouldnt anticipating your teammate's run and where the defender will go and kind of seeing the player develop before it does make you good at assists? obviously inr eal life its logical but does the FM match engine take that into account? Does anticipation have a big effect on assists? I never really understood what the technique attribute in FM meant. Like if you've got 20 finishing and 20 passing and 10 technique its like how do u have 20 in the other 2 with bad technique? Anyway the one i dont understand is composure.

So my question to you all is what are the other secret less obvious aassist attributes, and do you think the ones stated here (composure, decisions, anticipation) are important to assists or is it just a coincidence they all had them high?

That, or edit your initial post to start with "Warning: Player Naming Thread" in bold at the top of it.

I don't think its any coincidence that Decisions, Composure, and Anticipation are crucial for a good assist-maker - I'm a firm believer in mental attributes, and have been considering those three "key" attributes for players at all positions since FM'05. (Along with Determination and Work Rate, for different reasons.)

Obviously, Creativity, Passing, and Technique are requisites for the creation of an incisive pass, and First Touch is a crucial attribute both IRL and in the game.

Archived