This is starting to get silly

My defence is pretty soild, we don't tend to concede too many goals, but we don't score many either. Matches are close and we go long periods of the game looking tentative up front but occasionaly nicking the odd goal. We defend well and usually keep the opposition at bay. I'm fine with this as I feel that I'm slowly building together a squad capable of qualifying for Europe one day. I realise I need to invest in a quality striker but for the time being everything is going OK. However one thing is preventing me from taking the next step forward and that is the number of penalties we're conceding!! Out of the last 11 league games we have given away 8 penalties! I wouldn't expect to concede half that number in an entire season! Out of them 11 matches I have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 7. More like relegation form rather than European qualification form. We were picking up some great results before, we were grinding them out, but now whenever we go 1-0 up in a game we concede a penalty and more often than not go on to lose the match.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know why it is happening and how to put a stop to it?

What are your team/individual instructions to the defenders? If you are using high closing down or tight marking and hard tackling, if your defenders are not making the right decisions, then you will give away penalties. Check the instructions and amend accordingly

In addition to what FrazT already suggested:

I read somewhere that there is a 'hidden attribute' that some players have. A 'dirtiness' rating. Maybe some of your players are prone to that? I know I have two players in particular that are VERY prone to fouling & yellow cards.

One is a DC who obviously leaves me in compromising positions whenever he fouls... he alone has been the cause of two penalty shots against my team. Obviously he is in the works to be rid of during the next transfer window.

I looked at the player match statistics and looked at fouls, yellow cards & errors to see who my worst offenders were.

Archived