Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this thread is not allowed, please, any mods feel free to close it.

My GCSE's (for those who aren't British these are the set of formal exams we have at the age of 16) are fast approaching and start on 1st May. I've been on holiday and done a fair bit of revising, but I'm just starting to get into my current save on FM. Has anyone got any tips for staying off it for a couple of months?

Any help will be appreciated

Don't worry about your exams - I played CM/FM back when I was doing my exams and I did just fine. You just need to find the right balance. The thing that messed up my Higher exams (A levels to some of you) was discovering alcohol/extracurricular activities :p

Don't worry about your exams - I played CM/FM back when I was doing my exams and I did just fine. You just need to find the right balance. The thing that messed up my Higher exams (A levels to some of you) was discovering alcohol/extracurricular activities :p

lol, A Levels are thankfully a long way off for me

:)

Dont play Fm whatsoever before the exams, if you get too hooked on the save, you will find you start putting revision off.

If this is completely impossible and out of the question, get home from school, couple hours revision, dinner, FM, maybe a bit of revision before bed:thup:

Otherwise give disk to your parents.

Firstly, GCSE's really are easy. You learn the syllabus, you know whats going to be in there, you just need to replicate what you've been taught in constructed, short essay style answers.

Secondly, self control is key. If you're 16, you're going to have a lot more temptation dangled in front of you in coming years. Not having the will power to stop playing FM would be the least of your worries :D

Temptation is having 3 women in the most amazing lingerie wanting to ravish you in your room whilst your girlfriend is on safari in Kenya....Not FM (as much as I love it!)

Dont play Fm whatsoever before the exams, if you get too hooked on the save, you will find you start putting revision off.

If this is completely impossible and out of the question, get home from school, couple hours revision, dinner, FM, maybe a bit of revision before bed:thup:

Otherwise give disk to your parents.

You can play FM09 without the disc.

You should allow yourself 1/2 hours of gaming after you have a session of revision.

Giving yourself a reward is a good way to sustain motivation and will keep stress levels low.

I use gaming to lower my stress, if I have a bad day I'll play till late at night, shooters online are the best thing to take my anger out. RPG's are good for escapism if i need to get out of my head. FM is good for killing an hour or two before bed I find. Revising is best done when you wake up as it stays in your head all day and when you go to sleep as its the last thing you'll think of and thus stay in your memory easier. I did that with GCSE, A level and Degree and it worked well, you need to supliment it with daytime revision as you wont have enough time for all your subjects but a good balance is very usefull. Don't shy away from things that you enjoy or you'll go insane! :)

Its always better to break up working with stuff so you don't go half crazy. Besides GCSE's are a cake walk and most of them are so modular you should already probably have a C or sumin even if you don't turn up for the last couple.

I think in essence, play it! Learn a bit of self-restraint, no need to cut it out completely - everything in moderation is fine...

Use it as a 'treat' - I played it all the way through Uni and it definitely didn't affect my work :thup:

How are you going to write then? ;):D

He can take the exams verbally. Or learn to write with his toes.

Actually, fair point, which options are you taking? I mean, you're not going to need to revise much for BTEC PE for example (actually Fm probably counts as revision for BTEC PE).

GCSEs are a piece of cake, seriously. Don't worry about them.

A-levels on the other hand...hmm I'm definitely not prioritizing my time correctly right now, but the simple fact is taking Farsley Celtic to world domination is much more interesting than Disraeli's foreign policy.

He can take the exams verbally. Or learn to write with his toes.

Actually, fair point, which options are you taking? I mean, you're not going to need to revise much for BTEC PE for example (actually Fm probably counts as revision for BTEC PE).

German and French (which a quarter is aural, so won't need my hands that much, and the rest is writing :()

and History, Geography (loads of revision) and Graphics

Also, the moderation thing won't work, because I have no will power:(

For all those who said "Dont worry about your GCSE's" : :thudn:

Pathetic advice, GCSE's are extremely important, you have to have necessary grades to get into college/6th form, if you dont get the grades required, what's next? You either have to change your ambition or fork out and retake your GCSE's.

Take these exams seriously, for they are the foundation upon your future, its better to have the best results you can get than just dont revise and get average results that you know you could have done better on.

If you just want to limit it rather than stop altogether try international management as you have to holiday between fixtures so you can physically limit how much you play. It helps to have a really slow computer too. I'm at uni and it's working for me :)

mattant250 - I think you're doing 100% the right thing in giving up FM until your exams are over. It will be too big a distraction.

It will still be there to play when you've finished your exams. Work really hard at revising and find another, less addictive, leisure activity to reward yourself. Listen to music, read, watch TV in your spare time.

Whenever I have a big deadline coming up for my MA dissertation, I always quit FM for a week or two so I can focus 100%.

I actually suggest uninstalling and giving the CD to your parents. Great way to not get tempted back on for 'just one more game'.

C.

If this thread is not allowed, please, any mods feel free to close it.

My GCSE's (for those who aren't British these are the set of formal exams we have at the age of 16) are fast approaching and start on 1st May. I've been on holiday and done a fair bit of revising, but I'm just starting to get into my current save on FM. Has anyone got any tips for staying off it for a couple of months?

Any help will be appreciated

my birthday =]

How about you ask your friend(s) or even family to hold on to FM and not let you play it for a while ? You know, if you're posting in this forum about this issue, your will isn't strong enough..

and lol, uninstall the game first !

Mattant250 - Congratulations on reaching step 1: Admitting you have a problem.

Step 2: Decide how to tackle your addiction.

Step 3: Stick to the plan!

I think the advice you've been given is great. Put your saves onto a memory stick and give it to someone with much better will power than you. Also uninstall FM and give them the CD too.

As for GCSE's being a cake-walk, they probably are. It was a few moons ago that I took mine but I regret not revising enough.

No revision + bad exam day = Flunked it

No revision + good exam day = Average

Revision + good exam day = Aced it

I'll let you choose which you'd rather :)

Temptation is having 3 women in the most amazing lingerie wanting to ravish you in your room whilst your girlfriend is on safari in Kenya....Not FM (as much as I love it!)

Please note that some people have to work. Apart from obviously being on here anyway, getting this idea into my head does not help my work attitude a lot :D

You can play FM09 without the disc.

Not after you uninstalled :)

@ OP. Seriously, I'm happy to see that you realize that FM is not as important as real life. :)

For me always a combination of work and leisure has proven to be a good mix. Just revising does not help either from a certain moment on. You will need distraction to be awake and able to soak up the stuff you are reading. You might as well use FM as a reward for time spent revising. Only if that doesn't work I would think of really giving the very possibility of playing the game away.

Good luck :)

Archived