Letting go of unwanted youths & players.

Do you guys have an approach that seems to work for you?

One of my youths came time for a pre-contract.

I used 'Dios' - my unbelievable 19 J.Current / 20 J.Potential youth coach who does nothing except evaluate players on my teams - to check him out. His recommendation is that I should look to offload this kid at my earliest opportunity.

First, I chose 'Offer to other Clubs' and set the asking at 15K (his value is 18K). No offers. Set the Transfer to '$0'. Still no interest. I went to dismiss him and it would cost me $2000 to do that. Doing some quick math I figured his $15/week he was asking for the next two years would come in under that so it would be a wiser financial decision to keep him around.

I guess my questions are: How lean do you keep your Youth squad and when is the best time to drop the dead weight? I am currently in the process of signing as many 4 & 5 star potential youths as I can afford and don't think it is prudent to keep a larger-than-necessary team together. Along the same lines:

What do you feel is the most effective method for dismissing extra players that you don't need?

I'm currently losing money per month and am looking to cut down on some of the wages. I've isolated some of my up-and-coming goalkeepers whose ratings are quite poor (compared to their wages) and some of my other players. But no other team is interested in taking them off my hands - even at steep discounts to their value. Is there other ways to drop their wages? Does setting them to 'Transfer Listed' really work well?

Any help & suggestions are appreciated.

werkz

Some of my youth players have a youth contract that lasts until 2011. When they turn 17 years old you can offer them a profesional contract. I just offer them a pro contract that runs out at the end of the season then release them. You shouldn't worry too much about their wages, their wages are partly covered by covered by a youth grant.

Best way is probably loan out as many as possible, so they can improve, then you can see if you still want them, or if you still decide you don't, then they will have had some exposure and there will be a far greater chance of a club coming in for him.

After you have loaned them out, a good idea if they are still not being made offers for at their value, offer them for £0 and 50% of sell on clause, that way in a few years time, you'll start getting lots of little payments, which should be much higher than if you sold them when they were young.

Some of my youth players have a youth contract that lasts until 2011. When they turn 17 years old you can offer them a profesional contract. I just offer them a pro contract that runs out at the end of the season then release them. You shouldn't worry too much about their wages, their wages are partly covered by covered by a youth grant.

The grant for that particular player disappears when he signs a pro contract.

You can always try loaning players and having another club pay their wages.

Doing that with one of my keepers who is actually half-decent. PSV took him off my hands and offered to pay his salary while he was there. 6 K per week off the books. Fanatastic!

I was more interested in knowing how I should drop the youths on my team who are showing very little potential. As in, they are currently rated 1 Star with a potential of 2 stars. It seems that I should just carry the deadweight until it is pro-contract time.

If I don't offer them a pro-contract, do they eventually just leave?

The grant for that particular player disappears when he signs a pro contract.

Thats why i only sign them until the end of the season. Part time contracts for lower league teams you only have to spend £90 per week for a month or 2. Thats worth paying to be able to release them 2 years earlier than the youth contract would allow.

Archived