What has happened to your ex-club since you left?

In my current "career" game, I spent 5 years managing Wuxi Zhongbang in China, taking them from mid-table obscurity in the first division, to two back-to-back Super League titles and the semi-finals of the ACL. After 5 years though, I felt I wanted to move on, so when my contract expired, I left.

6 months later I've accepted a job in Spain (Osasuna, who have just been relegated from La Liga - I did actually get a couple of offers from big teams before this, but it hardly seemed realistic for defending Serie A champions Juve to hire someone who's only success was two Chinese titles, so I waited until I got a believable job offer.) So I thought I'd have a look at my old team. I wasn't really expecting Zhongbang to do as well as they had under me - we'd massively overperformed - but I was shocked at the state of my ex-club.

Of the team I had painstakingly assembled, 7 first teamers, and 4 subs/backup players had been sold, all for far less than what they should have been. Some players had been signed, but they weren't good or numerous enough. Their performances have been awful - at mid season break, Zhongbang are second-bottom in the Super League, with a solitary win to their name.

So, I thought this could be an intersting "survey". If you've been moving clubs, what's happened after you left? Has the club collapsed without your brilliance? Or have they signed a worthy successor who's continued where you left of? Perhaps their glad to be rid of you and have gone on to far greater success without your presence?

After I left AC Milan to manage Man Utd they won serie A for the second year in a row, but they lost the CL final for the first time in 4 years, as I'd won it 3 in a row with them and after having won the Italian supercup with them 4 years in a row they lost that as well the year after I left.

In my current "career" game, I spent 5 years managing Wuxi Zhongbang in China, taking them from mid-table obscurity in the first division, to two back-to-back Super League titles and the semi-finals of the ACL. After 5 years though, I felt I wanted to move on, so when my contract expired, I left.

6 months later I've accepted a job in Spain (Osasuna, who have just been relegated from La Liga - I did actually get a couple of offers from big teams before this, but it hardly seemed realistic for defending Serie A champions Juve to hire someone who's only success was two Chinese titles, so I waited until I got a believable job offer.) So I thought I'd have a look at my old team. I wasn't really expecting Zhongbang to do as well as they had under me - we'd massively overperformed - but I was shocked at the state of my ex-club.

Of the team I had painstakingly assembled, 7 first teamers, and 4 subs/backup players had been sold, all for far less than what they should have been. Some players had been signed, but they weren't good or numerous enough. Their performances have been awful - at mid season break, Zhongbang are second-bottom in the Super League, with a solitary win to their name.

So, I thought this could be an intersting "survey". If you've been moving clubs, what's happened after you left? Has the club collapsed without your brilliance? Or have they signed a worthy successor who's continued where you left of? Perhaps their glad to be rid of you and have gone on to far greater success without your presence?

Return, they need thier messiah

I left my Juventus team in such good shape that when they appointed Frank Rjikaard to succeed me he plays similar tactics to me so he hasn't had to do anything to continue the success. He sold a few squad players and dropped Buffon after a season and brought in a Brazilian keeper but other than that it's exactly the same team. They won back to back Serie A titles (though not with the same ease as I did) and last season won the CL, so he's done quite well. The only thing that worries me is that he doesn't seem to be giving the amazing youngsters I signed much of a chance at first team level.

In my other game I was Rochdale manager and when I left to go to Watford they were a top half of the table side, still a work in progress but with potential. Then Nigel Clough came in and managed to get them relegated in the same season. The rest of the time on that game they were stuck in the wilderness in the BS Prem, amazingly they even gave him a new contract!

I Left Rushden and diamonds 7th in league 1 after 36 games took the newcastle job (12th in the championship).

5 seasons later i was 6th in the premier division at the end of the season. looked around the divisions to see who the movers and shakers were and get to the BSP and the playoff final was between Rushden and Kettering(which in real life would be a hell of a game), two seasons later i checked and after 40 games they were 4 points from safety in the BSP worse than this they were being managed by Guy Branston, who isn't really a fans favourite.

My first club San Jose.

I was their just over a year where i won my division but lost in my regional semi's. Next season i started badly and was sacked after i applied for very job going.

They then struggled and scraped into the play offs and lost in the semi finals. They are currently 4th out of 7 and look like qualifying but haven't done as well.

As for Bournemouth. I joined when they were bottom after 15 games. After 39 we were still bottom but closer to staying up. However i knew it wasn't gonna happen as we just went back into bad form so i resigned. As League 2 was my lowest playable i have no idea how they are doing.

Currently Wycombe in season 2010/11 and 2nd in League 2 as i was lucky and got a job in the summer after the Bournemouth season. Im going to stay here for a little while so thats my past clubs done.

Well...

They were relegated out of the Northern Irish Second Division, yo yo'd for a bit, sacking their manager every time they went down, and then I applied for the job again after being unemployed for ages waiting for Glentoran's manager to get sacked (they had a takeover). Now I have no ex club.

Chimney Corner, before you ask.

In 7 seasons, I took Blackburn fromboring mid table, to exciting champions of England, Europe and the world, I had assembled some quality players, made millions for the club, then I left to take the England job full time and Mike Newell took over.

Sold nearly all the players who started every game for me for less than their value, signed players who were fighting relegation the season before whilst I was going for the title.

Ended up finishied 16th, out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round, lost in the 5th round of the League Cup, and knocked out of the Champions League with2 points in the group stages.

Then I looked and saw Mike Newell was one of their favored personnel, whilst I was their most hated...What gives..?

Sold nearly all the players who started every game for me for less than their value, signed players who were fighting relegation the season before whilst I was going for the title.

This seems to happen far too often. Happened to me in 08 as well. When you leave you're team gets sold off for a fraction of it's real value (as opposed to the game's value), and replaced by crap (if indeed it's replaced at all.)

One of my players at Zhongbang was a young (19 or 20 y.o.) center half. He was already a leading player for the division (according to my coaches) and he wasn't at his potential yet. His average rating for the last season was about 7.1. I later had a look at him with a 19/20 JCA/JPA scout from Osasuna who said he was a good (spanish second tier) player with potential to go on to be a good La Liga player. So I'm guessing his CA/PA was something like 110/160. My ex-club let him go for around 250k. :eek:

His replacement, who cost more, was awful in comparison. Looking at his attributes, I'd say he was at least 20 if not more points of CA less.

I left Rushden 5th in the table. A guy called Andy Todd took over and started playing 3-5-2. The did manage to scrape 5th on the last day of the season and lost the play-off final to Kettering - who my Hereford side hammered 6-1 away (which I enjoyed for old times' sake) shortly after they started their League 2 campaign.

A lot of Rushden's better players were sold on in the close season, though (a couple of them to me, actually), and now they're mid-table and look set for a season of mediocrity at best.

As for other teams seeming to go downhill fast, sell good players for less than they're worth, etc...it's down to the new boss. Maybe the AI manager doesn't rate these players, maybe they over-performed for you but won't try for the new guy. Maybe the new boss is just, well, 'not very good' - either at man-management or tactics.

It's more likely that it's a case of 'new broom' rather than anything else.

This seems to happen far too often. Happened to me in 08 as well. When you leave you're team gets sold off for a fraction of it's real value (as opposed to the game's value), and replaced by crap (if indeed it's replaced at all.)

Quite true. And it's quite odd really. Now I know a new manager taking over wants to put his own mark on the club, but surley he wouldn't sell off a title challenging side just like that?! This has happened to some of my previous clubs as well. In 08 however, when I left Arsenal in superb shape, the two managers that came after me both actually kept the squad intact and managed to make them even better over the years! They were near impossible to beat and won the Premiership every single year after I left and constantly challenged for other titles as well...only time one of my ex-clubs have done well without me. :) Interesting to note is that the 2nd manager even tried to bring up academy players quite successfully.

In 09 though, I have't really played that much but have left Eastbourne in the near top of League 2. After I left they've nearly fallen out of BSS! Also after winning back-to-back titles with Swedish side Elfsborg they have found themselves battling relegation...but then I've always thought Allsvenskan in FM have been like that a side can win the title one year only to find themselves in the bottom the next. ;)

My story is slightly different to the others above me...

I managed Southend United to a wonderful 19th place in league 1 in the first season, my contract was not renewed.

Next season they won the play-offs and were promoted.

5 years later I am West Ham manager 7th in the Premiership, one place behind Southend :eek:

i was at celtic for 5 years winning the league cup 5 times in a row and the spl 4 years in a row and the scottish cup 2 years in a row. Was then offered the Man Utd Job and took it, The Youth Coach i brought in from ajax earlier that season took over and ended up keeping up the tradition by winning the league cup and spl. this season they are struggling behind ally mccoist's rangers and gary nevilles hearts lol

In four years I took Stevenage Borough from the BSP to the Championship (BSP Playoffs 2008/09, League 2 Champions 2010/11, League 1 Playoffs 2011/12) but left after promotion because the board wouldn't expand the ground (having packed it out in League 1) or give me what I considered enough resources to stay up (I was willing to have one or the other, but not neither).

I went to Leicester in the same division and took them straight up despite only getting a 1-1 draw on my return to Broadhall Way and have since won a UEFA Cup, two League Cups, two FA Cup and two Premiership titles. But in that 2012/13 season, I was highly relieved that my last game, at home against Stevenage, was entirely meaningless as they were already safe (albeit pretty lucky to finish 20th with 42 points, a total that would have sent them down pretty much any other year)

Still, through six years of Ronnie Moore's stewardship and now into the second of Paul Lambert's tenure, they've stayed in the Championship for eight years, have only finished 21st once (and even then they were safe by nine points and with two games to spare) have had a high of 16th (with 55 points) but have generally been 18th or 19th in the 46-48 point range. I'd like to think part of that was not having the money to tear my team up; the first year was about getting some depth at striker (since I play 4-5-1 and Ronnie didn't) and most of my guys went off in the third or fourth season, although my last appointee as captain played six years in the Championship having been with us from the BSP and ended up with most league appearances for the club.

Ispent my first two and a bit seasons at Portimonense in the Portuguese Liga Vitalis. Finished 6th and 11th in the first two. In 10/11, I resigned after about 13 games with only 2 wins to the club's name, and second bottom in the league.

I checked back at the end of the season and they had got up to 10th :)

I was unemployed for a while, then took a job at Hayes and Yeading. They were virtually relegated from the Blue Square South but I needed to build my rep somehow by getting any job, so I've been with them for a couple of months. I know what will happen to them when I leave - Isthmian League lol.

I spent 5 seasons at Go Ahead Eagles, promoted in first season and beat Ajax and PSV to win the Cup. After the initial success I consistently finished in the top 6 and had another cup win and got to the quarters of the UEFA cup. I left in the end due to my Peruvian wingback falling out with the superstar midfielder. The club wouldn't expand and all the young talent i had wanted to leave as soon as they had a good game. Been offered all sorts of jobs and went to Racing Santander (after turning down Ajax, Sunderland and other teams.) and also now manager of Spain.

Go ahead in there first season, like under me, started so well, in the top 3, but have dropped off since. I'm trying to buy the top talent for my racing team but I sadly found out i only get 15% of my transfer sales and Go Ahead wont sell some of the players for anything less than 10m. Gits. So they are doing as well without me, but the players they have brought in since i left arent as good, but i did steal the Scouts.

I left Caersws mid table in the League of Wales. My successor has got them into the UEFA Cup four times.

I left FC United of Manchester mid table in League Two. My successor has got them mid table in League One.

I've now got Billericay Town into the Conference, but I don't plan on leaving them.

I was manager of the Georgian national team as well as CSKA Moscow and i led Georgia to 2nd place in their 2010 group managing a 1-1 draw with the Italians on my last game in charge. I resigned after that once i saw the Serbia job open. Since i have left, the Geogians lost their last two qualifiers and they finished 4th in that group. In their current EURO 2012 Qual. group they are in 6th place with 2 wins 1 draw and 3 losses

Archived