meaning of capped/uncapped

Hi folks,

yesterday, my buddy and me struggled to find the meaning of 'capped/uncapped'. We've searched various dictionaries and wikis, but didn't manage it to find a good translation with respect to soccer. Can anybody give us a short explanation?

So, sorry if this is a really dumb question :D, but forgive us, English is not our mother language.

Being myself definitely not a mother tongue sometimes I lost my mind on translating as well......

for instance why every now and then the match commentary says " team A win a corner " instead of " team A wins a corner " ?

Is that an exception of the general rule ?

many thanks in advance

is the 's' left out because of it being past tense, because for example

Manchester United win a corner sounds right

whereas

Manchester United wins a corner does not and also does not make sense, however

Rooney wins a corner for Manchester united does make sense and sounds correct

It's nothing to do with past tenses, it's simply a quirk of British English (though I do hate that phrase). Things like 'team' and 'police' are, strictly speaking, single units, and as such you'll see "the team is" or "the police is" when used by an American English speaker, but in Britain, we take those words as plural. Not everyone does, I don't think, but most people use "team A win a corner", as it feels more appropriate to refer to the team as a collection of people, rather than a single unit. Over here you rarely see people saying "if Arsenal wins tomorrow" or "if Man Utd is to have any success". I have no idea which is correct, but which is more appropriate tends to depend on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

Hi folks,

yesterday, my buddy and me struggled to find the meaning of 'capped/uncapped'. We've searched various dictionaries and wikis, but didn't manage it to find a good translation with respect to soccer. Can anybody give us a short explanation?

So, sorry if this is a really dumb question :D, but forgive us, English is not our mother language.

It stems originally from when the players were given caps for playing in the first ever international between Scotland and England. That practice continued, became tradition and now in a wide range of sports, the number of matches somebody plays for their country is termed as caps.

Being myself definitely not a mother tongue sometimes I lost my mind on translating as well......

for instance why every now and then the match commentary says " team A win a corner " instead of " team A wins a corner " ?

Is that an exception of the general rule ?

many thanks in advance

In this case, it refers to the plural and single.

"Wins" is used for a single object. Wayne Rooney wins a corner. Rooney is a single person.

"Win" is used for many objects (many Rooneys). I know Manchester United could be declared as a single object, but the team is made from many players.

Consider it this way. Rooney and Evra win the corner? Or Rooney and Evra wins the corner?

Rooney and Evra = Manchester United = "Win"

Whenever you see a collection/team/group of people, "Win" is mostly used.

easier way to understand it is... Its english, very confusing language, i dont know how to speak/which words to use and how to spell but most people get the gist :D

there is a chinese girl at school and we ask her how to spell words and she can read faster than most of us can, how bad is that!

Do players still get caps today? Beckham has 109 little hats? Wow! Why don't we see them on TV?

It has changed a little. Instead of a player receiving a cap for each game they play, they now receive a cap each year, with each nation played against embroided on the cap. The terminology hasn't changed though.

I have no idea which is correct, but which is more appropriate tends to depend on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

"if Arsenal wins tomorrow" or "if Man Utd is to have any success" ---> Incorrect

"if Arsenal win tomorrow" or "if Man Utd are to have any success" ---> Correct

It has changed a little. Instead of a player receiving a cap for each game they play, they now receive a cap each year, with each nation played against embroided on the cap. The terminology hasn't changed though.

You will also get a cap for landmark achievements, such as Beckham's 109th cap or reaching 100 for example.

Archived