Squad view idea....

This will obviously only apply to teams in the top tier of their respective countries (except for a few special cases, ie. just-relegated teams or teams from a lower division who have qualified for Europe via Cup competition etc).

On the squad screen, I think an option to view only players selected to participate in Europe (or the other Continental equivalents) would be handy.

Obviously, this is already slightly possible when a European match comes round by keeping 'unavailable' ticked, but that only applies on the eve of a match and offers no real forward-planning.

Just a drop-down option called 'View Available European Squad' (this would also hide players who are currently injured/suspended from said competition) would enable us managers to instantly see how many players we can expect to choose from for the upcoming ECL quarter-final, and how many, perhaps, we should try to keep fresh on the off chance we have a depleted squad, for whatever reason.

It couldn't be that hard an idea to implement. What do you think?

This has been in the game, at least up to CM 01/02. So it's puzzling as to why it isn't in the game now. Possibly it's not as simple to include as it is an idea. Or possibly it's very low down in the priorities of features to include. Or maybe it's just been forgotten about.

This has been in the game, at least up to CM 01/02. So it's puzzling as to why it isn't in the game now. Possibly it's not as simple to include as it is an idea. Or possibly it's very low down in the priorities of features to include. Or maybe it's just been forgotten about.

Could be no more difficult than only displaying, say, left midfielders.

Could be no more difficult than only displaying, say, left midfielders.

I agree. It might not be any more difficult than that. But the fact that it was in the game and now isn't suggests that S.I. decided not to include it. Which leads to the question 'why?' If it were so simple, and superficially it appears to be simple, then there's no good reason not to include it. It shouldn't adversely affect the layout of the interface, so chances are it's not a GUI reason. Maybe it's something to do with the multitude of possible competitions such a filter could apply too, and the need to retain a single style of selection screens no matter the team. Maybe not. Or perhaps there's a programming reason for its being dropped.

And unless S.I. chime in on this thread, we won't know. Claiming that implementation of a feature is 'simple', when you're not a part of the coding team, doesn't mean that it is simple. It's an appeal to make the proposition more attractive, not a statement of fact.

Being able to view a squad that consists of players registered for a competition is useful, and would be welcomed back.

Perhaps it's just got 'lost in the sands of time'... I hope SI have a look into this thread and at least give their thoughts/opinions on the idea. I was going to expand on it and include domestic cup competitions, but I decided not to.

I do like the idea, even if I do say so myself :D

I like it. I'm surprised it hasn't been thought of before.

It has been suggested before, though rarely. That doesn't prevent it from being a brilliant idea. :thup:

The OP's point about forward planning is the key reason this is important: if I'm playing a Saturday league fixture ahead of a Tuesday C.L. fixture, I'd very much like to select any first team players who aren't C.L. eligible (either registration, already played in the C.L. for another squad, suspended, etc.). That should be easy enough to do.

It might be most useful, however, to have a squad view which indicates eligibility for each competition - because the same issue applies for every competition.

Europe - registration, Cup-tied, suspended

F.A. Cup - players may be Cup-tied or suspended

League Cup - ditto

It has been suggested before, though rarely. That doesn't prevent it from being a brilliant idea. :thup:

The OP's point about forward planning is the key reason this is important: if I'm playing a Saturday league fixture ahead of a Tuesday C.L. fixture, I'd very much like to select any first team players who aren't C.L. eligible (either registration, already played in the C.L. for another squad, suspended, etc.). That should be easy enough to do.

It might be most useful, however, to have a squad view which indicates eligibility for each competition - because the same issue applies for every competition.

Europe - registration, Cup-tied, suspended

F.A. Cup - players may be Cup-tied or suspended

League Cup - ditto

This is exactly what I was talking about :thup:

I find it odd that a 'moaning thread' is opened in GD and goes on for infinite pages, yet a thread with a genuinely good idea is allowed to drift off into oblivion.

Hence the bump. SI? Anything to say?

SI rarely respond to idea threads, unless to explain why an idea is not feasible. Do rest assured that they pay attention - unless you have the poor fortune to post a good idea during the flurry of posts right around a release, or at a time when they're all under a ton of pressure for a release milestone.

Archived