Is it possible to do well in 4-4-2 without good wide players?

So as the question goes, has anyone been able to get a team playing well in a 4-4-2 without really average wide players. I find that in a 4-4-2, to be reasonably successful, you do need at least one, if not both wingers, that you have to really rely on.

My experiences are like this. I have found getting a player with decent pace or a good cross can really make all the difference in your 4-4-2 team of being inconsistent and hard to break opponents down to one that can score goals and play good football and most importantly, win. I found signing Stewart Downing for my Everton side instantly made the team one that could win games more comfortable, mostly due to Downing's ability to put a good cross in, but maybe also because he takes a good corner and Everton has a lot of targets to aim at. I have found the addition of Beckham to my Newcastle side, despite him ageing and all, made the team a lot better with him once again being able to service the team with good crosses. My Newcastle team had Riquelme as well, but somehow, they never seem to be as good before becks came along and played on the right.

So my question is whether anyone has been able to play a 4-4-2 and have a team that can punch above their weight, but somehow builds their team around a player in any other position other than a wide midfielder. I'll like to know how you do it.

Archived