Thinking of buying a PC especially to run FM09 and to run very smoothly

PREMIUM - Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (2.83GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English

23in S2309W WIDESCREEN UK Black (1920 x 1080)

Graphics 1GB ATI Radeon 3870 X2 graphics card

4096MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]

1.2 TB (2x 640 GB) Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe

16X DVD+/-RW (Read/Write DVD, CD)

1Yr Premium Warranty Support

Can i go wrong with this pc running FM09? Or would you recommend something a little more powerful?

Please let me know - Best Regards.

Can i go wrong with this pc running FM09? Or would you recommend something a little more powerful?

Looks fine to me, however if your going for DDR3 you may aswell add another bit more and go for an i7 machine.

Also the 3870X2 is an awful card, if the only game your going to play is FM then save your money and get something like a 9600GSO or an ATI 4830. FM09 is not graphic intensive at all, its all about CPU speed.

If you don't intend to OC the processor then go for a faster clocked duel core rather than a slower clocked quad.

Hobgob

Its not a bad computer but dont expect too much from it. FM is slow no matter how fast your computer is. You should be ok with a large DB and up to 10 leagues loaded. Its going to be very slow, but its playable if you do other things while you wait for processing.

I would agree with jakobx here.

Been OC'ing my Quad here, and tweaked every little thing i can to improve FM, but it stays slow. That system you have listed there should be more than enough....for FM that is.

I've just bought a new computer. All for football manager. I was told by my mate this would be fine.

> Intel Quad Core 8200 Elite Extreme

> 8 GB DDR2 RAM

> Mainboard(6 x USB(2.0), 2 xPS2)

> 400GB 7200 RPM Harddrive

> 22x Dual format DVDRW

> 1GB Geforce 9500 GT Graphics card

> 5.1 Sound

> 10/100 Network adapter

> Midi Tower USB Case

> PS2 Optical Mouse

> PS2 Logitech Keyboard

> Subwoofer Speaker System

> 12 months RTB warranty

Will this run FM fine? I hope so! Becasue it's too late now.

I've just bought a new computer. All for football manager. I was told by my mate this would be fine.

> 8 GB DDR2 RAM

> 22x Dual format DVDRW

> 5.1 Sound

> 10/100 Network adapter

> Midi Tower USB Case

> PS2 Optical Mouse

> PS2 Logitech Keyboard

> 12 months RTB warranty

With ease but you have wasted your money so badly it makes me laugh. The most expensive components that don't outperform the cheaper ones.

Hobgob.

I would agree with jakobx here.

Been OC'ing my Quad here, and tweaked every little thing i can to improve FM, but it stays slow. That system you have listed there should be more than enough....for FM that is.

Can't agree with that at all FM runs very well and very fast on my Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz 4Gb of RAM.

I'm running a large DB, 13 countries and over 30 leagues.

Hobgob.

Looks fine to me, however if your going for DDR3 you may aswell add another bit more and go for an i7 machine.

Also the 3870X2 is an awful card, if the only game your going to play is FM then save your money and get something like a 9600GSO or an ATI 4830. FM09 is not graphic intensive at all, its all about CPU speed.

If you don't intend to OC the processor then go for a faster clocked duel core rather than a slower clocked quad.

Hobgob

Ok...so as for Video Graphics card...you would not recommened Nvidia GeForce as one of the highly regarded ones?

Can't agree with that at all FM runs very well and very fast on my Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz 4Gb of RAM.

I'm running a large DB, 13 countries and over 30 leagues.

Hobgob.

With a Q6700 @ 3.4GHz 4GB RAM, i've tried one league and i've tried all leagues. Most of the stuff in between as well. Full detail, minimum details.

Of course it will go faster overall with 1 league selected, minimum detail, small db etc. But no matter what i do, the game never uses more than around 65% of my RAM, and the higest use of the CPU i've had is 75% on the most intensive.

Obviously it's overclocked, but it wasn't much of a difference whon on original specs. The processing was a bit slower and i experienced more freezing, but it never used more of the CPU and RAM.

Compared to FM 2008 on an older and worse computer i found it slow. And also with one league running, it goes much slower than what it could, and should.

It helped with patches but not much (for me, on my system).

If it's slow or fast is, however, a personal opinion. Depending on how one wants to play it. But when i say slow i mean that it's not using the resources it could use, for such an processing-intensive game.

You don't need a monster-machine to play FM only. So the specs that the OP is giving on that computer is more than enough to play FM.

I do understand though what you mean. And if it's fast or slow, is more of a personal opinion.

With 13 countries, over 30 leagues and large DB, i would probably say it would go fast enough for me as well. But not as fast as i feel it should considering my specs compared to minimum and required specs; and the fact that the game won't use all the resources i would allow it to, anyways :)

> 8 GB DDR2 RAM

> 22x Dual format DVDRW

> 5.1 Sound

> 10/100 Network adapter

> Midi Tower USB Case

> PS2 Optical Mouse

> PS2 Logitech Keyboard

> 12 months RTB warranty

You bought that just to run Football Manager??? You've got more money than sense.

You bought that just to run Football Manager??? You've got more money than sense.

Such a machine doesnt cost much. Its not a high end quad core, ram is cheap and the rest of the components are all low end. My almost two year old machine is faster than that.

Such a machine doesnt cost much. Its not a high end quad core, ram is cheap and the rest of the components are all low end. My almost two year old machine is faster than that.

You're right, spending that much money on a pc to run a single game is obviously a sound investment, particularly when he's clearly got no idea if what he's bought will actually run it. Readig these forums I never cease to be amazed by the fact that people spend substantial amounts of money on a machine with no idea of what they're actually buying.

Most people have no idea what they are buying. The machine he bought is not bad for FM and its more than enough for office/web apps and an occasional non 3d intensive game. Its not a substantial amount of money if you have a job. Besides, we have to buy ourselves gifts occasionally :)

> 8 GB DDR2 RAM

> 22x Dual format DVDRW

> 5.1 Sound

> 10/100 Network adapter

> Midi Tower USB Case

> PS2 Optical Mouse

> PS2 Logitech Keyboard

> 12 months RTB warranty

This will run FM no problem. Just one thing though you better get yourself the 64bit version of windows if you havent already got it because the 32bit version will only recognise about 3.3gb of your 8gb ram.

This will run FM no problem. Just one thing though you better get yourself the 64bit version of windows if you havent already got it because the 32bit version will only recognise about 3.3gb of your 8gb ram.

will 64bit even recognise anywhere close to 8gb ram?

Sounds to me like some of you are experts at this computer spec thingamee jigg malarkey, if so can you recommend a system that will run say 15 countries and 25 leagues. Please reply with a link, my budget is no more than £800.

Thanks in advance

Run 25 leagues? No such computer currently available. Unless of course you are a very patient man and dont mind spending 90% of time waiting and 10% playing. Basically search for a quad core computer, either intel (but not i7 because they are too expensive) or AMDs phenom II. They are rougly the same performance wise, but an amd system should be cheaper because of cheaper motherboards.

If you get 4gb of ram (which is cheap nowadays) then you must use vista 64bit. (32bit OSs will only see 3gb+ of ram).

The rest of the components are cheap with the exception of a graphics card. If you only plan on playing FM then you dont even need one since the on board gfx will be more than good enough.

64 Bit will recognise it all - well as much as your motherboard allows.

Yeah the 32 bit version only recognise 3.3gb of ram but 64bit can read upto 16TB of ram if they made a board that could handle that much.

Anyoen know how well FM runs under 64bit?

Sounds to me like some of you are experts at this computer spec thingamee jigg malarkey, if so can you recommend a system that will run say 15 countries and 25 leagues. Please reply with a link, my budget is no more than £800.

Thanks in advance

That sort of computer for that sort of price even if it's just the componests just isn't possible. The best processor i could get you for the pc would cost 830 quid and that is the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 / 3.2 GHz processor and the Intel Core i7 i7-940 / 2.93 GHz processor is £471 lol

That sort of computer for that sort of price even if it's just the componests just isn't possible. The best processor i could get you for the pc would cost 830 quid and that is the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 / 3.2 GHz processor and the Intel Core i7 i7-940 / 2.93 GHz processor is £471 lol

Strange seeing as I'm currently playing a game with 20 odd countries and over 30 leagues on my E8500 Dual Core 3.16 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM and it really isn't running slowly at all, of course FM isn't the only thing I play, so I've got me a Geforce GTX 280 :D

Run 25 leagues? No such computer currently available.

41 leagues over 16 countries & 2 continents on a stock two year old Q6600 with 2GB ram at a rate of 1 season every 25 hours after 27 seasons suggests otherwise.

I recommend you buy DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3 as it's much cheaper with the performance unless you buy I7 platform.

Also as mentioned in above posts, FM does not benefit from a powerful VGA card, a just average one like ATI HD4670 will be fine. In addition, 3870X2 is an old model.

Go for something like ATI 4890 OR Nvidia GTX 275 if you play other graphically intensive games.

RAID HDD setup won't benefit in gaming, but maybe you want it for data backup purposes.

BTW, if you are located in Egypt that forum will help choosing the best for you.

http://arabhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57861&pp=200

Good Luck

Thank you for letting me know about the 32bit Windows issue regarding Ram. The company are gonna send me the 64 bit version but I have to start all over again apparently and everything will be wiped.

Yes, as you will have to reinstall windows...

You could always copy your saved game(s) to a backup drive? If you have one...

RAID HDD setup won't benefit in gaming, but maybe you want it for data backup purposes.

I agree on DDR2 but RAID does benefit for gaming, as you load from two different hard drives at the same time. RAID doesn't benefit so much for data backup, as if one HDD fails, then you lose the content of both Hard Drives due to the RAID configuration. I personally run two hard drives on a "Windows, Music, and TV" on one and "Games" on the other. I then backup all important files (like FM saves :D) to my external hard drive.

41 leagues over 16 countries & 2 continents on a stock two year old Q6600 with 2GB ram at a rate of 1 season every 25 hours after 27 seasons suggests otherwise.

No it doesnt. 25 hours sounds like a lot of time. Thats a hell of a lot of time spent just waiting for the game to catch up. To me thats the definion of slow. I didnt say the game doesnt work with that many leagues, i just say that it doesnt run. I would use the word crawl instead.

Archived