Anyone else not like the arrange friendly clause in transfers?

I brought a promising young kid from a Norwegian team, with the clause in. I thought the issue would be sorted if the reserves played them, but apparently not, now I have a friendly two days before a league match.

One advantage will be to just mess around and perhaps play some players in weird positions or try a wacky formation out, but then it could affect board confidence, which would be stupid.

I don't like it when they force you to do it during your season, should always be during the buying team's off season.

Wow. Personally, I absolutely love it. Of course, I try never to have it activated when I'm buying a player. When I'm selling to a big club, I find I can sometimes sell a player for 0k or 10k plus "Arrange Friendly", and wind up hosting a 100k -> 250k profit friendly during my regularly-scheduled pre-season buildup.

In your case, yeah, I'd simply promote some extra players up from the Reserve and Under-19 sides, field them in the friendly, and who cares what the board thinks? They may mention your "heavy 4-0 defeat in a friendly against Bodo/Glimt" as the worst part of your reign for the next three months ... but they aren't going to fire you for that, and it isn't going to affect the Morale of the regulars who didn't participate in it, and you aren't risking injury or fatigue to players you're counting on.

It really depends on which side of the transfer you are.Yeah i agree that sometimes having one of the Europe's top teams and having to play some small sucky team is really boring.But you have to think that some players,me included,who play mediocre teams get a really nice boost by playing a top team in preseason and getting some cash also from the tickets.If you really dont want to play a friendly match with them you can always offer them more cash and not put the friendly game cause in the transfer.

• 1 month later...
I brought a promising young kid from a Norwegian team, with the clause in. I thought the issue would be sorted if the reserves played them, but apparently not, now I have a friendly two days before a league match.

One advantage will be to just mess around and perhaps play some players in weird positions or try a wacky formation out, but then it could affect board confidence, which would be stupid.

I don't like it when they force you to do it during your season, should always be during the buying team's off season.

I often use the clause to gain extra funds, my claim to the usefulness of this clause occured on FM 08 when I sold Chris Hackett to Leeds from Millwall for 4k plus the arrange friendly clause, I then arranged a friendly league with Leeds, one of their parent clubs, and Arsenal, my parent club and ended up earning 1.3million for his sale!

I often find that my parent clubs are freely able to cancel a friendly that they were obliged to accept and have noticed that I can do the same, fair enough I must accept the friendly but there is nothing to stop me from cancelling it.

Furthermore, arranging an away friendly against the team you made the deal with when it is convenient for you seems to work as the deal being completed.

To summarise:

- Cancelling a friendly usually works even after you have been obliged to accept the date originally.

- Arranging a tourney with the club who are obliged to accept a friendly will result in larger amounts of revenue from the deal, use parent clubs from both clubs to have an easier time of arranging the friendly. Once filled, the teams in the tourney cannot cancel the fixtures.

- Get there first, by arranging the fixture before the other team do will result in a more convenient kick off time for you, include a penalty kick contest as a decider if you want to give any youngsters a bit of peno practice.

*YAY!!! First post!!*

Archived