Isn't this Keeper good?

Hello again,

I'm trying to understand what I am missing. To me, this keeper is off the charts. I'm comparing him to other top Mexican GK's and he outshines them all in almost every category.

Guillermo Ochoa, Oswaldo Sanchez et al. He is simply better. The only 'strike' against him is he is highly eccentric, but he has been quite stable in net and has managed to stop a great number of one-on-ones.

Here are his stats:

rcuevas.png

A comparison with Ochoa. Cuevas is in Red:

ochoavscuevas.png

As you can see, Ochoa is either matched or beaten quite handily in almost every category except mental, yet my back-up is consistently chosen over Cuevas if ask my assman to recommend a starting line-up. I won't even post my back-ups stats because his look pitiful compared to Ochoa.

What gives? Even my team Coach who has 18 CA & 20 PA recognition puts him at 3 stars and says Cuevas is comparable to my back-up which is total BS if I read the numbers only.

Something I am overlooking? Is Eccentricity really that big of detriment to overshadow every other statistic?

Thanks again,

werkz

Hidden stats are probably something to do with it. He could have low 'Big Games', or other important hidden stats that can make a big difference.

In the interest of full disclosure, it says his 'weakness' is "a very unpredictable style of goalkeeping at times."

What exactly does that mean as a weakness? A lot of saves I've seen this guy make, the text exclaims about how unbelievable they were or how only he could have thought of that.... (things along those lines).

Only one goal I could say was 'his fault' (out of the 4 he's let in in 7 games) where he ran way out of his crease to get the ball and was beaten to it by the striker... but in his situation, I would have done the same.

In the interest of full disclosure, it says his 'weakness' is "a very unpredictable style of goalkeeping at times."

What exactly does that mean as a weakness? A lot of saves I've seen this guy make, the text exclaims about how unbelievable they were or how only he could have thought of that.... (things along those lines).

Only one goal I could say was 'his fault' (out of the 4 he's let in in 7 games) where he ran way out of his crease to get the ball and was beaten to it by the striker... but in his situation, I would have done the same.

That would be the high eccentricity. It means he will sometimes make stupid mistakes, such as charging out without thinking or running to the corner flag to try and challenge a striker.

Sometimes it's best just to ignore your staff and give a player a run in the team and see how he performs - if he playes great they often change their tune.

On the other hand I've always hated having a keeper with high eccentricity in my team. I always tire of them after a while - it's all well and good that they can pull out awesome saves but he'll just keep costing you goals and usually in the most important games with his stupidy.

I wouldn't pick him due to his arial ability of 11... I just picture Gomes earlier this season whenever I see arial ability under 14ish...

I've ended up playing a 19 year in goal this season for that reason. I'm at the end of my tether with both my first team keepers. One has no aerial ability or command of area whatsoever; the other is 37, can't jump and has the reflexes of a snail. They are both permanently on very poor morale and let in an average of three goals a game (mostly from crosses) - obviously they are both heading out the door asap.

I wouldn't pick him due to his arial ability of 11... I just picture Gomes earlier this season whenever I see arial ability under 14ish...

So his jumping of 20 doesn't offset that a little? I thought aerial dominance was a combination of attributes.

I know that is the case for One-on-Ones. Sanchez rates a 19 in One-on-Ones, but if I were to put him in comparison to Cuevas, it'd show that Cuevas' one-on-one 'point' in his graph is significantly better.

So his jumping of 20 doesn't offset that a little? I thought aerial dominance was a combination of attributes.

I know that is the case for One-on-Ones. Sanchez rates a 19 in One-on-Ones, but if I were to put him in comparison to Cuevas, it'd show that Cuevas' one-on-one 'point' in his graph is significantly better.

I think physical attributes, including jumping, count for very little.

Gomes isn't a bad jumper but he simply flaps at everything in the air. He comes for balls he'll never win, he drops the ball in the air after catching it, he lets the ball slip... That's his aerial ability - or, rather - lack of it.

I suppose one advantage of physical goalkeepers is that physical attributes are the first to go when a player begins to age, so physical goalkeepers tend to last a bit longer, at least for a short while.

One of my regen goalkeepers was a bit like that - very physical, so even as he approached his twilight years, he was still better than the bottom-ranked teams' goalkeepers - at least on goalkeeping attributes.

Fwiw, if I saw a keeper with eccentricity 18 and tendency to punch 14 as he is, I'd stay well clear. also determination of 8 would mean if he did lose a goal he would get demoralised easy, instead of fired up.

Good point... hmm... thought I had found a diamond in the rough. :( A relatively cheap goalie who was entering his prime who could carry my team until I developed 1 of my younger keepers who are showing potential.

My team is restricted to ONLY Mexican players and my budget wouldn't allow me to get any high end players. Oh well... he's performing well so far. I have a really solid defence and he has literally NEVER let a one on one in yet.

Hope he stays sharp! We just entered into the Copa Libertadores and will be playing some of the best Argentinean teams!

if your naming players, please use a spoiler on the thread title, some people myself included don't like to see player stats on here! cheers

I would have thought the title on it's own would have been sufficient to see it would be discussing attributes...

I think the CA is the key here. But again - your assman isn't in charge. Unless you've got a fairly outstanding assman, then go with it and see how you get on. You can always drop him :D

Thats the key. The AI (both your AssMan, and other team managers) judge purely on CA, rather than attributes.

Yes, that's the key, but that still leaves the question of why he has lower stats despite higher CA. My understanding is that he has dumped some of that ability into having two strong feet instead of one.

I would have thought the title on it's own would have been sufficient to see it would be discussing attributes...

I think the CA is the key here. But again - your assman isn't in charge. Unless you've got a fairly outstanding assman, then go with it and see how you get on. You can always drop him :D

it was but i thought it was a newgen he was asking about. ;)

it was but i thought it was a newgen he was asking about. ;)

Whoops. Sorry dazbowski. New here. I'll put a spoiler up next time.

@ Others: Assman is pretty weak... JC & JC are at 11. It's my top coach (who I literally hired JUST for his 18 & 20 in Judging abilities) that still says Cuevas is equal to my back-up (3 stars)... who has a much worse graph than Ochoa. :confused:

I don't use trainers, editors or Scout programs, so the hidden traits is probably what I am missing out in my understanding of how players are rated.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the explanation!

Archived