What's your tactic?

I always play 4-2-3-1, similar to how the big 4 premiership teams play at the moment.

when i first tried this tactic I was using wingers and trying to cross the ball to the striker with the AMC helping to follow in, my success was not consistent, sometimes i would win, sometimes i wouldn't

for my most recent game i tried to play through the middle, the MC's much more defensive and the wing backs coming up more to cross, it seems to be a lot lot better for some reason.

4-1-2-2-1

one MC with farrow, AML + AMR farrow. but not always crossing from byline. makes them turn inside more often. gives you more options.

won me title after title, and is without much hustle changable into 4-2-2-2 when needing to score.

worked for me in Italy and Spain.

4-1-3-2 (GK, DR, DL, DC, DC, DM, RW, LW, AMC, FC, FC)

Happy?

I'd have to say so. I've experimented and this one works best. Although when I took over at a side that didn't have any decent fullbacks I experimented with 3-1-4-2 (GK, DC, DC, DC, DM, RW, LW, CM, CM, FC, FC) and it also worked a treat - I'd move the DM to AMC when we needed more va-va-voom in attack.

4-3-2-1

Flat back four, three central midfielders, two are defensive midfielders with barrows, an AMR and an AML and a lone striker.

Happy? Yeah, a lot of tinkering but now we play play possession football, create lots of chances and keep a fair amount of clean sheets.

Narrow 4-1-4-1 Counter attack, with my wide midfielder doubling as forwards.

Am I happy? No, I can not seem to get any consistency going and lose the occasional game 3-0 after a run of about 4 wins in a row. After 4 season using this tactic I am still tweeking it to try and get consistency.

My tactic revolves around 2 AMCs floating behind a lone striker. Basically it is a "give the ball to Diego and Riquelme and watch them play" tactic.

Happy? Well, I've used it for 2½ seasons plus the same (albeit with tweaks and obviously different players) at Fiorentina and I love to watch the players play. It is too flawed for us to win major trophies for the most part,esp. Fiorentina in Serie A, but such is life.

4-3-3 with 2 wingers and a lone striker.

Happy? Yes, considering my main striker scores an average of 40 goals every season. 3 CMs mean that I could put one in defensive mentality while the other 2 attacks. Scores relatively a big number of goals and concede the minimum every season. The only downside is that it is too reliant on the lone striker to score goals. The wingers only averaged 5 goals per season and I wished I can find a way for them to score more.

I use two tactics, a 4-1-2-2-1 and a 4-4-2.

I'm very happy with both of them, mainly because I never have to tweak either of them. If one stops being successful for whatever reason I'll switch to the other one for a while and that seems to keep things fresh and keep me winning.

I'm using a 4-1-4-1, not created by myself but it's top quality. Last season only conceded 20 goals in all competitions (Champs Lge, Domestic Cups, League, Euro Super cup, CWC). Scoreing around 3 a game. The DM kind of dictates play by breaking up moves and startin them off agian, he drops into defence while defending making it more of a back 5.

Happy? Very! Won everything last season, scoring well and defending brilliantly, I've never seen defensive stats better! Currently unbeaten in 80 eague games. Winning 39 in a row before drawing recently.

---------ST---------

AML--------------AMR

------CM----CM------

---------DM---------

LB----CB----CB----RB

---------GK---------

I play this formation with almost every team I manage, works very well with slow, patient tactics. I find I have the majority of possession and concede very few goals. As long as I have a decent lone striker and CMs with good finishing/long shot attributes I'll score plenty as well.

As a fall back tactic I can move one CM to ST in order to make a kind of modified 4-2-4 counter attacking style.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm using a 4-1-4-1, not created by myself but it's top quality. Last season only conceded 20 goals in all competitions (Champs Lge, Domestic Cups, League, Euro Super cup, CWC). Scoreing around 3 a game. The DM kind of dictates play by breaking up moves and startin them off agian, he drops into defence while defending making it more of a back 5.

Happy? Very! Won everything last season, scoring well and defending brilliantly, I've never seen defensive stats better! Currently unbeaten in 80 eague games. Winning 39 in a row before drawing recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops sorry, i want this guys tactic!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm using a 4-1-4-1, not created by myself but it's top quality. Last season only conceded 20 goals in all competitions (Champs Lge, Domestic Cups, League, Euro Super cup, CWC). Scoreing around 3 a game. The DM kind of dictates play by breaking up moves and startin them off agian, he drops into defence while defending making it more of a back 5.

Happy? Very! Won everything last season, scoring well and defending brilliantly, I've never seen defensive stats better! Currently unbeaten in 80 eague games. Winning 39 in a row before drawing recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops sorry, i want this guys tactic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gathered as much icon_smile.gif

Although what if I say that my tactic led me to an unbeaten season, winning the EPL, league cup, F.A cup and Champions league, only conceding 3 goals in the process?

It didn't, but as soon as it does... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:

oops sorry, i want this guys tactic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As said not mine so no credit to me,

4-1-4-1

There's the link that wil take you to it's thread,

It really is top class, only change I've made to it is having my MR and AML swap positions.

a normal 4-4-2 with wide mids with farrows to AMR/Ls. 1 cm plays normal or defensive, 1 plays attacking. full backs make forward runs (no farrows). always high attacking/creative freedom, short passing, quick pace counter attacking football. normal tackling, i've had about 4 red cards in 5 seasons.

its weird seeing other peoples sucessful formations/tactics with arrows all over the place, good ol' 4-4-2 has worked perfectly for me. i think this works best when all players are on the same training.

i've not tried anyone elses tactic either, might give one a go in a fake player game.

I've changed tactics this season due to my promotion and am currently playing..

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

GK

DC DC DC

MR MC MC ML

AMC

ST ST</pre>

purely for team stability. (I know its wierd, as surely a 5-3-2 would be the best defensive tactic, but this has worked for me since FM06)

Am I happy with it? No. It doesn't allow my team to play how I want them to play, mainly due to the Team Instructions, and not really to do with the tactic.

4-5-1/4-3-3

Slow and patient at home, a bit more quick and direct (with counter-attack) away.

Has lead to instant success in Italy, Spain and Netherlands and can work in England but only with really good players.

The real beauty of it is you don't need many strikers and, as these are generally the most expensive players on the game, you have more cash to spread over the rest of your squad.

It looks a bit like this:

^ FC ^

¦ ¦

AML ^ ^ AMR

¦ ¦

MC MC MC

DL DC DC DR

GK

It's a bit like Barcelona IRL but I'm having more success than them at the mo'... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Lets try again shall we...

It looks a bit like this:

^ FC ^

¦ ¦

AML ^ ^ AMR

¦ ¦

MC MC MC

DL DC DC DR

GK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks nothing like either of those... stupid no preview option ras clart posting box thingy...

Text description...

One FC Target Man

AML and AMR quick and dribbley

Three MCs two attacking one holding

OR two DMs one MC

Flat back four with adventurous full backs

GK

It's funny, I used to never like playing 4-4-2 back in my early FM days. Then I had a spell whan I used it (or a slight variant) at almost every club I managed and now I've come full circle and use it rarely. I'll probably return to it, but for now I want to try and make a formation with 2 AMCs work so obviously doing that in a 4-4-2 would be suicidal icon_razz.gif

4-2-4 playing on the counter. very effective going forward but leaky backline so will need to find a useful dm to play and adjust my formation. this in feb 2013 in a 7.0.2 patched game.

Archived