how not to get broke at lower leagues?

hi there,

i am really in need of some guide that tells me how not to get broke at lower leagues. i can't sell players because no other club will buy any (value 0 - 2k), and i can not sign any new players because my wage budget is depleted. even with a slighlty positive wage budget my balance is still going down from 5k at season start to -10k within 3 month :confused:

please somebody help me!!

Other than friendlies, there's not much you can do sometimes to avoid the plummeting bankroll in the lower leagues. If you want to sign new players, you might have to just forget about the bankroll, and release the top earners who don't really figure in your plans. Then you can sign players on free transfers; or transfer the extra wage funds you've freed up to the transfer budget, and buy some new players (preferably regens who will get better). Hopefully you'll get promoted, and eventually pick up extra money.

You'll always have a revolving door policy at lower leagues. Sell players when possible. When selling to (relatively) large clubs, make sure you tag on big percentage of next sale clauses - more often than not, if you spend long enough at that level, you'll eventually receive a windfall of around 1 million pounds after your former player makes a "big money" move.

I'm in the same situation with AFC Wimbledon although Ive found a way. Buy the best FREE players you can. Pay them high wages so they join. When you start winning your crowds will increase but give it time. With that you get more gate money and you will do well in cups generating more money. Promotion brings in more money from TV rights so that's a bonus. Play friendlies against good teams at home to generate more income at the start. Loan out or give away your rubbish players for FREE, that way you cut down your wage bill. That's the only way i've managed to get round it. My bank balance is now +£650,000 with a £1.2m bank loan (which was already their when I started), although my wage bill is +£8k a week over. The only way to decrease my wage bill is to loan out players or sell them for free.

i cut the hell outta my wage budget and try to play my best in the cup games where you get prize money for each win. im in my first season with FCUM (reloaded until they became playable in June, 2009) and right now my balance is £587K with a profit of £564K. i find its not too hard to make money with this team and its not like im great im sitting 10th in the table through 25 games but i am picked to finish 21st ahead of only the mighty moors :p but i miraculously made it to the 3rd round of the FA cup before getting hammered by stoke and im in the final of the CLC and the 3rd round of the FA trophy which helps make a bit of extra cash

As many have said, cup runs can be very lucrative especially the FA Cup. To ensure a cup run you need to sign decent free players and bring in the odd loan player wage free. Try and be clever when trying to sign players that have a transfer fee, If there is a player that you tink will sign but have no transfer budget you can always offer nothing up front and 50% of next sale etc.

It doesn't work often but can happen also there are some great players that will sign from abroad.

Request a parent club ASAP, and if you're lucky to get one soon enough, check their reserves for decent loans-they usually agree to join you. Try to loan for a season whomever of some quality agrees to join you (use all four long-term loans if possible), releasing (or selling) at the same time anyone of your high-earners who plays at the same position(s).

Other than friendlies, there's not much you can do sometimes to avoid the plummeting bankroll in the lower leagues. If you want to sign new players, you might have to just forget about the bankroll, and release the top earners who don't really figure in your plans. Then you can sign players on free transfers; or transfer the extra wage funds you've freed up to the payroll, and buy some new players (preferably regens who will get better). Hopefully you'll get promoted, and eventually pick up extra money.

thanks for all the replies. i will definitely try to get a parent club and some more friendles.

but how do i get rid of players i don't need (e.g. "top earners" with a value of about 1-2k and 2 years left on the conctract)? when i try to sell them for 0 no other club makes a bid (i do this: set transfer status, asking price 0, then offer them to the clubs).

oh and is there any way to persuade the board that i am in need of not just one general coach but also one fitness coach when they will only allow me one coach at the time?

thanks for all the replies. i will definitely try to get a parent club and some more friendles.

but how do i get rid of players i don't need (e.g. "top earners" with a value of about 1-2k and 2 years left on the conctract)? when i try to sell them for 0 no other club makes a bid (i do this: set transfer status, asking price 0, then offer them to the clubs).

oh and is there any way to persuade the board that i am in need of not just one general coach but also one fitness coach when they will only allow me one coach at the time?

You could release them on a free but then you'll be paying some kind of compensation. It depends on how your bank balance is. Try to give those top earners some playing time and, if they play well, then they might attract other clubs. Try to send them out on loan if possible.

Make sure when you sign players that you don't give them a signing fee its really pointless as it doesn't make any difference if you offer it or not, also only give contracts at a maximum of 2 years because if you get promoted the case may be that it just won't perform. Another money saver is in a match if bringing a sub in the 90th minute make sure he doesn't have a appearence fee otherwise it would be a waste.

Check your U18s and if they won't cut it (most won't) then release them on free's. I've released all my U18s except for maybe 2 and its helped to cut down the wage bill. Most are only on less than 100 dollars a week but it adds up.

Friendlies are very important during pre-season as you can get a lot of money. Cup runs are good too as you can get some good prize money.

In my thread - FM09 Heathxxx Management Approach (Lower League Edition) - I discuss aspects of club finances that you as the manager will have direct control over.

Some of these aspects have been mentioned such as lucrative pre-season games against bigger clubs that are fairly local to your own club. Wages are a big factor also. It's possible to sign better players if you look hard enough, for much less than you're currently paying, but for more info on that have a read through the thread.

My own general policy though, is to sign players for free. That's to say unattached players, players from amateur clubs or players who would require no compensation. Also, don't be afraid to negotiate wage demands. If they want more than I'm prepared to pay, I don't sign them. ;) With this policy I had a decent sized squad of players for half my allowed wage budget and therefore saved a lot of money over the course of a season and still progressed well.

Archived