When two 20/20 scouts don't agree

I had a situation last night where I was trying to evaluate a reserve goalkeeper. I have two coaches with 20/20 in JPA/JPP that I go to to get information on players like this. The first one says that I should offload the kid right away; the second one says pretty much the same thing, but instead of one yellow star he gives him two.

The only difference that I can see as relevant is that Scout A's goalkeeper rating is "1", while Scout B's goalkeeper rating is "6". Neither of those are worthwhile. Both scouts are working with the goalkeepers in training (I try to get the 20/20 guys working on every aspect of training as long as it doesn't affect the star rating of the training; I think that they give better input if they've worked with the player).

So my question is, to what extent do the offense/defense/goalkeeper/tactic ratings influence the ability of a coach to accurately scout a player? For a goalkeeper, is the ideal judge of talent a guy with 20 in JPA, JPP, and GK?

I can't say I know an answer to your question, but as far as I know, 20/20 is not 100% accurate. Perhaps the player's potential was right on the cusp, one guy judged him just inside the two-star category, the other judged him just inside the one-star category.

I did see a short post from one of the SI guys, but I think all he said was that higher reputation = more details of a player's weaknesses/strengths. I wouldn't be able to say whether that carries over to your own coaches, though.

Archived