The Glenn Hoddle Academy Challenge

The Glenn Hoddle Academy was established in 2008 by former England international Glenn Hoddle. The academy was set up in memory of his brother Carl, who died at just 40 years old.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept of the GHA, let me explain.

When Hoddle made the move in to management he started thinking about these players that were being released at 18, 19 and 20. He realised that it wasn't possible to keep them on as the squad would become oversized, but he still believed that it was too soon to judge their ability with any certainty. This thought, this doubt, followed him throughout his managerial career.

After leaving Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2006, he set about trying to create an academy in which he would invite the players who get released from Premier League and Championship clubs to come and train, play friendly games against professional teams and, hopefully, try to earn contract with one of the clubs. The facility itself is based in southern Spain; in the Montecastillo Resort in Jerez. The players have shared accommodation in Villas and free use of all the other aspects of the resort.

In early 2008, Hoddles dream came to life. His academy took shape and the first group of players were signed up after a series of trial events. His magnificent coaching staff, (Graham Rix, Nigel Spackman, John Gorman, David Beasant and now Inigo Idiakez) lived on site and worked every day to help these youngsters realise their potential.

For any other information, and an excellent series of videos relating to the GHA, visit the official website: http://www.glennhoddleacademy.com/

Now, onto the challenge - it is quite a simple one.

I have created a database in which the GHA start life in the lowest reaches of Spanish football - Second Division B4. You have a squad of players and coaching staff already. The challenge is simply to see who can achieve the most following Glenn Hoddles dream.

The Rules

• Obivously, you can only sign players who are under the age of 21.
  • You may keep a player signed under the age of 21 UP TO the age of 25. Once they reach that age, you must sell them or release them.
  • You are only allowed to sell players at their value.
  • You may sign under-21 players from any country and any league. This is a slight deviation from the actual GHA.
  • You are not allowed to pay transfer fees for players. Compensation is allowed, but other than that you must transfer as much money as you are allowed into the wage budget.
  • You are not allowed to use players from your youth team. If there was a way to get rid of it, I would have, but i'm not clever enough unfortunately.

I will add the database in a little bit, as I just want to do some final checks in case I made any basic errors.

When I do get it uploaded, please bear with me - this is my first attempt at a challenge and my first attempt at editing a DB, so if there are any mistakes then please PM me (preferably with a screen shot of what went wrong, if possible) and I will try to sort it out ASAP.

I hope that this interests many people, as it's certainly something i've been wanting to try since I read about the academy. Whilst you wait for the DB I suggest you look through the GHA website and watch the videos on there, as they are extremely interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I have done so far;

. Created Glenn Hoddle Academy FC and put them in the BSS playing at the Glenn Hoddle stadium

. Given them a rep of 5000

. Signed a few of the players that are at the academy irl

Anyone help/suggestions?

Decided to give them a 4000 rep so I will be able to get decent players after first season. I put them in the BSS because of my lack of Spanish football knowledge. I have signed lots of players that are under 21 at the start of the game, all of these were free agents. Most notable is Chris Riley and Adrian Pettigrew.

as I've previously said, putting them in the BSS completely destroys the whole purpose of the challenge. Also the decision to give them a reputation equivalent to most League 1 clubs is ridiculous. I personally wouldn't be interested in this database you've created and would rather wait for the OP to finish his.

If I would have put the rep any lower it would destroy the idea of the challenge. How many players released from big clubs would join a team with a rep of 1000.

not true again. I managed to get Chelsea youngster Tom Taiwo to come to my AFC Wimbledon side at the end of the first season when he was released.

I wasn't trying to make it seem like an achievement, just saying that players that get released by Premier league sides will drop down the divisions. Admittedly AFC Wimbledon probably have the reputation of a BSP club, but it's the same thing in principal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've made a DB with this info on it:

Club: The Glenn Hoddle Academy

Ground: Montecastillo Resort, Jerez, Spain

Capacity: (I set it at 0 so it's random cap is) 750

Top Training Facilities, Adequate Youth Facilities, No Youth Academy

(The players that come through your youth will be Spanish, due to the stadium being based in Spain)

Finances: were all set at 0, so it will be random,

but should be enough to cover any compensation fees.

Reputation: Like saint clark, I set it to 5000 so the young stars will want to join.

They are also currently set as a semi-professional club and all players are on Part-Time contracts.

Playing out of the BSS so they have a longer future competition

(but too be honest, with player restrictons, Leaue One may be the furtherest you get)

Added all the players on the GHA website and also all the staff

The ones not on the game, I added using information off of thier biography & FM2010 stats.

Ahhhh... What else??? Oh

I've done the Logos (Large/Icon/Left(background)) & I've done quick up some quick Kits for them also (Home & Away)

I have done a face pack for them but it isn't of high or medium quality so I didn't add it in.

If you want this DB and/or Graphics, I'll upload and post it here for all to try.

Please note: this is for FM2009

Do you want me to upload my DB for 09??

Here's some screenies:

CLUB INFO

4hbpc6.jpg

LEAGUE TABLE

15eyw6.jpg

We are not doing as well as expected due to the higher reputation of the club.

So the odds for all the games have been around 1-10 to win. So you'll often not live up to the hype

Yet I've scored 32 goals in 15 games... but they expect more :|

I've signed 3 players after the English Trialist matches on my coaches recommendations.

You'll need to sign a Physio & an Ass-Man (if you want them)

I'd love a go with the database :) might put in an extra rule, just for myself, to make it slightly easier:

If a player is listed as a legend, icon or favoured personnel, i'll keep him until he is 30, if he is an icon, i'll keep him until he's 35, and if he's a legend, i'll try and hire him as staff when he retires :)

sound good?

I actually might add that rule myself...

There is currently 2 players over the age of 21 in:

Nick Beasant & Paul Harrison

I've tried offloading them but won't leave due to recent arrival..blah blah blah.

I'll upload the DB in the morning... about to go to bed

and my GF will go nuts with her WoW & CS pinging out the buggery

I'll upload the logos and kits into the .rar file too.

Miles would have us believe the GHA is in FM10 due to him bumping into GH on holiday. Now we know it was saint clark's inspiration all along!!

I wonder if the new editor will allow you to edit the academy as a playable club into a league in the way you envisage.

I've already demanded to be credited on the game ;)

Even though I messed up massively by not checking back, i'm glad people are enjoying the idea and someone managed to get the DB up.

Yeah I didn't mean to jack your Idea :p

but it was a good one... It didn't take too long to throw together

but I didn't go right into finer details with every player aspect.

but the players are decent enough and could possibly get picked up by other LLC.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I didn't mean to jack your Idea :p

but it was a good one... It didn't take too long to throw together

but I didn't go right into finer details with every player aspect.

but the players are decent enough and could possibly get picked up by other LLC.

Ah well there you go ;) I went right in depth with player history.

Well, as in depth as I could...

Archived