regen goalkeepers - has anybody ever seen a world class one?

I'm into my 6th season now, just got Leeds into premiere division. I searched a lot for a good & young goalkeeper, but among the regens in the 5 seasons that I've played, there isn't any single soul who has 5* CA and the best ones have a 5* PA, that's it. There are many good quality defenders and midfielders, and plenty of forwards, but no goalkeepers.

Is it just me?

If not, I'm done playing FM2009. I just get annoyed big time when a simple stuff like regen distribution can't be done properly, and overseen by the testers, producers, everybody at SI.

That's why I became a beta tester by the way, to help putting an end to nonsense bugs like this one that can be easily fixed.

Yeah I have one on my Liverpool save in third season he was amazing and signed him as back-up to Reina in goal.

Ok, he may look amazing to you, but can you check out the coaches report to see how many stars he has for CA and PA? I've seen many regen gk's 18-20 years old, who look good in attributes, like their handling, reflexes, aearial ability, comunication, etc etc all are 13-17, yet for some reason they get only 2-4* in CA and 4-5* in PA. Not more.

I'd really appreciate if you please let me know.

How good are your coaches at judging potential? If its not very high then their assessment of a players potential won't be very good.

The one that evaluates them has 20 for judging player ability, and 19 for judging potential ability.

Do you have any 6 or 7* PA gk's?

In my 2023 liverpool save I've got 1 world class regen in goal, and 5/6 young goalkeepers in my reserves and youth team rated at 6 or 7*. I could't find any decent ones for ages then a load came along in a couple of years.

That's great news for me!

Thanks a lot.

well i got a gk with PA of 194 (CA 95, but he is only 18) so i got him early and have loaned him out and got him learning from akinfeev and a good training regime, he will be good

the problem is that gk are so unlikely to get injured, and they last for years (at least the good ones do) so the teams with the best trainng acadamies (and hence most likely to produce regen gk with high PA) are more likely than not already in posession of a good or world class gk and a good backup and so the regen doesnt get much playing time, just sits in the reserves and by the time the good gk has retired he is nowhere near his potential and hence they are all sucky suck. quite often the backup gk will play the reserve games as well so he wont even get to play there.

different to an outfield player that can be drafted in due to injuries or is more likely to be loaned out

Why do people keep going on about "reputation"? It doesn't matter at all - only attributes (and PA/CA)

And to answer the OP - I've had a 19yo regen keeper in my squad (as backup to Akinfeev in 2014) with PA of 198 - his CA has gone from 115 ish to 135 ish in the year he has been with me (having played approx 15-20 games)

And Pureforce's reply is very valid - goalies have much longer careers than outfield players (at least in real life!) so understudies find it harder to break through. eg How long have Casillas, Buffon, Friedel etc been at the very top? At their clubs, the backup keeper will struggle to ever get any games

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of regen keepers have high eccentricity which should not be a random stat. High levels of eccentricity should only occur rarely as is the case in real life and within the current database of real players when the game starts.

I'm not really far enough in for the regen GKs to start taking over the originals, but here are the best I can find:

Moreno

Karlsen

Muller (I can't scout him but what I can see looks good)

I've seen dozens of regen gk's like these ones in my game, yet when I look at the scout reports, they only give them 3 or 4 stars. I think there are some hidden attributes that are more important than the ones that we see. That's the only explanation why keepers with very high goalkeeping attibutes get only 3-4 stars.

I think the tricky situation when you've got a promising youth goalkeeper is that you have to risk making him number 1 goalkeeper at your club before he's reached his full potential - otherwise he doesn't stand much of a chance of actually reaching his PA. I had one spaniard who was about 22 with 4* CA and I had to get rid of a 29 year old Pepe Reina to give the youngster the first team experience he needed. At 26, he was better than Reina ever was and had replaced Casillas as Spain's number 1.

Off topic a bit, but Reina got injured against Chelsea, fortunately he could carry on in game as I don't keep keepers on the bench, but he has a groin strain, so is out for 2 weeks. Cavalieri better not cost the unbeaten streak. Only second time ever I have seen my keeper get injured in this game, both were knocks but both ended up injured.

I don't pay as much attention to the stars when it comes to goalies as they all seem to get pretty low ratings from what I've seen. I prefer comparing them to current goalkeepers as that's a better judge of quality than the stars.

In my holiday game, the highest CAs for keepers are 168 and 166 right now. That is really not close to the top group of keepers at the start of the game. Potential does not seem to be the issue as English clubs generated 5 with more than 170 PA in a single season, but development seems to be a huge problem. That said, England's number one for a long time had a 174CA and his stats looked pretty decent.

This is the best GK in the world in my game, and the ONLY world-class one (click to enlarge).

I've had countless super-talented GKs in my team and given them lots of playing time, sometimes entire seasons, but they still fail to develop properly, unlike the outfield players.

borrelli.th.jpg

• 1 month later...
I've seen dozens of regen gk's like these ones in my game, yet when I look at the scout reports, they only give them 3 or 4 stars. I think there are some hidden attributes that are more important than the ones that we see. That's the only explanation why keepers with very high goalkeeping attibutes get only 3-4 stars.

When you scout players the scout compares them to your best player in that position. If you already have a worldclass GK no scouted GK would get more stars then 5, and close to 100% of them will have fewer stars.

• Administrators

To the opening post, the stars in comparison are only up against how good your goalkeeper is. The reason you're struggling to find many five star plus players is because your keeper is so good. We've done a very large amount of analysis on PA/CA's and player progression and there is no significant decrease in the quality of goalkeepers over time. They are there to be found.

I use GenieScout and like to sweep up top regens the day they appear. I can tell you that hardly any very high-PA regen keepers appear. It's quite out of kilter with outfield positions.

Two partially-exonerating factors tho' - (a) keepers keep going for decades, so the problem doesn't kick in for many seasons, and (b) it's a level playing field - the AI clubs dont get brilliant regen keepers either.

does giving the goalkeepers intensive training help to give them better development, seeing that they dont get injured often?

They still get injured in training, so you have to be careful with fitness regimes. I tend to give moderate str/aer regimes and intense on goalkeeping and tactics.

Training redistributes the CA increase, and if the PA ceiling is not that high they still wont be Casillas-esque.

In 2019 and been browsing for a while as both my (non-regen) keepers are around the 33/4 mark. Just as well they last much longer. There have been a handful of good ones that I would take if needed and 1 or 2 really good ones who probably are pretty much excellent but none have prompted me to get them as replacements yet. A few mentioned above appear to come a year or 2 later so it seems like something will come up.

• Administrators
I use GenieScout and like to sweep up top regens the day they appear. I can tell you that hardly any very high-PA regen keepers appear. It's quite out of kilter with outfield positions.

Two partially-exonerating factors tho' - (a) keepers keep going for decades, so the problem doesn't kick in for many seasons, and (b) it's a level playing field - the AI clubs dont get brilliant regen keepers either.

To be honest there aren't that many very-high PA keepers at the start of the game, so that's correct. There shouldn't be many more than say 10-15 or so 180+ PA GK's in the game, and even then only half should get right up to their potential.

To the opening post, the stars in comparison are only up against how good your goalkeeper is. The reason you're struggling to find many five star plus players is because your keeper is so good. We've done a very large amount of analysis on PA/CA's and player progression and there is no significant decrease in the quality of goalkeepers over time. They are there to be found.

This has me confused. Everything I've read previously has suggested that players star rating is relative to your clubs reputation, competition level you compete at etc. Is this wrong, are all ratings relative to the best player in that position currently in your squad?

If this is the case, how is the star rating of your best player decided? Or is it a combination of club rep and abiltiy relative to best player in the current squad?

*lotta questions I know*:o

Archived