Anyone else notice.....

Anyone else notice that : The MATCH ENGINE ( not the whole game) is complete crap and how everyone is in denial that this years game is crap and not as good as previous version. I think that the game is now the best out of a bad bunch rather than previously the sole best management game you could buy. I believe that until the match engine can possibly make the players act reasonably realistic rather than acting like they have never played football before, that the game should have stayed completely 2d rather than trying to be too clever. I know you will probably say I should stick to watching the 2d match engine but I can't help but feel something has changed about it and it feels alot less flowing and the same bugs still occur due to 3d being a copy of 2d meaning that the 2d players still are shown making the same basic mistakes such as running the ball out for goal kicks for no apparent reason when it is obvious a proffesional football could keep it in play.

considering the fact that this is the first FM to go with a 3D match engine it is nowhere near as bad as you're making out. yes it has hit's problems but SI has done it's best to sort these out in the patches. But then again some people are not happy unless they are complaining

considering the fact that this is the first FM to go with a 3D match engine it is nowhere near as bad as you're making out. yes it has hit's problems but SI has done it's best to sort these out in the patches. But then again some people are not happy unless they are complaining
I disagree with saying that they have had a good attempt with the match engine purely because other games are not crap in their first edition. For example, if the first gears of war had gameboy colour graphics and the AI of the football manager match engine the game would struggle to sell a single copy. However, it somehow a good effort due to it being the first time they tried it. I would understand but no other game would sell with such poor graphics and AI so why should football manager be any different. It may be a good effort if it was fifa 1999

I disagree with saying that they have had a good attempt with the match engine purely because other games are not crap in their first edition. For example, if the first gears of war had gameboy colour graphics and the AI of the football manager match engine the game would struggle to sell a single copy. However, it somehow a good effort due to it being the first time they tried it. I would understand but no other game would sell with such poor graphics and AI so why should football manager be any different. It may be a good effort if it was fifa 1999

totally agree, they think they can get away with selling a 50% completed game and gradually improving it with updates and the time the game gets to a decent level, the new one is out and were back at square 1, the state of fm09 wen it 1st came out was a joke.....

you seem to have missed the point of the match engine. it is not a game that relies on graphics but on stats etc. You can't compare FM with a game like Gears of War as they need hugely different production techniques, Of course all games now are perfect on release that's why 90% of games now get patched up to clear the bugs, and i'm not just talking about PC games but console games as well

you seem to have missed the point of the match engine. it is not a game that relies on graphics but on stats etc. You can't compare FM with a game like Gears of War as they need hugely different production techniques, Of course all games now are perfect on release that's why 90% of games now get patched up to clear the bugs, and i'm not just talking about PC games but console games as well

I can understand that football manager and gears of war are entirely different and gears of war is just an example of a game made well. If the match engine is relying on stats tather than graphics then why would SI make the match engine 3d. Surely 3d is an attempt to improve graphics and make it more realistic rahter than obviously flawed.

if the OP doesnt like the match engine then he shouldnt be playing it

id like to see him try to represent the randomness of football in a computer game better than this

i am amazed at how good the match engine is. sure it has bugs and they annoy me as much as anyone else, but they can be fixed. the ground work, the hard part, has already been done and it really is a good feat of programming and logic. if you cannot see this then perhaps you need to go play another game like lemmings or lego builder, something that has absolutely nothing that could be considered difficult to implement

Having a 3D match view (Not ME, the ME is the same however you view it) isn't an attempt to make the game more realistic, it is so it is easier for you to see how your tactics work, ie see player movement and passing better and the like

id like to see him try to represent the randomness of football in a computer game better than this

Much as I disagree with the OP, I hate this sort of argument. It's like saying, "if you don't like how your team are playing, don't watch them. I'd like to see you play better football".

i am amazed at how good the match engine is. sure it has bugs and they annoy me as much as anyone else, but they can be fixed. the ground work, the hard part, has already been done and it really is a good feat of programming and logic. if you cannot see this then perhaps you need to go play another game like lemmings or lego builder, something that has absolutely nothing that could be considered difficult to implement

The match engine isnt logical. What part of ronaldo getting 3 goals a season repeatedly is logical and strikers missing unbelievable chances constantly and not reflecting real life footballers ability in situations such as 1 on 1s and marking. I understand it is hard to programme a game such as fm 2009 but if they can't programme it properly then it shouldnt cost £30

I know you will probably say I should stick to watching the 2d match engine but I can't help but feel something has changed about it and it feels alot less flowing and the same bugs still occur due to 3d being a copy of 2d meaning that the 2d players still are shown making the same basic mistakes such as running the ball out for goal kicks for no apparent reason when it is obvious a proffesional football could keep it in play.

I'm noticing that too, but it got better after 930.

I wished they stayed with 2D for some 3-5 years more and tried to perfect it. eventhough it's the first attempt the 3D is a joke...

I understand it is hard to programme a game such as fm 2009

And yet you continue to rant for the sake of ranting.

heres a tip that ive picked up on over the years.

If you treat developers with a bit of respect and actually offer constructive criticism them they might help you out.

If you just sit and list everything you have a problem with and sum it up with "i know its hard BUT...." they wont bother listening. And quite rightly.

Strikers don't miss chance after chance, I have 2 strikers on 14 goals each in January, also wide players will score goals for fun if used right & if they can get 10-15 goals from deadball situations (Ronaldo arguement).

The ME is not knackered, it's not perfect I'll grant you that but if time is taken to appreciate what the 3D representation is trying to tell you it's relatively straight forward to develop your team into not only a winning outfit but one that looks good watch in 3D.

For those that truly believe the ME is garbage I'd suggest you save each & every game your team play over a single season & then upload them to the ftp file along with detailed reasons as to what is wrong with each match in the bugs forum, if you don't do this then how will things ever improve?

And yet you continue to rant for the sake of ranting.

heres a tip that ive picked up on over the years.

If you treat developers with a bit of respect and actually offer constructive criticism them they might help you out.

If you just sit and list everything you have a problem with and sum it up with "i know its hard BUT...." they wont bother listening. And quite rightly.

Well all this constructive critisism you've gave has really made the 3d match engine a joy to play - do you sense the sarcasm

Well all this constructive critisism you've gave has really made the 3d match engine a joy to play - do you sense the sarcasm

You've onbviosly helped a great deal, no wait...a quick search shows there are zero threads started by you in the bugs forum. I Guess you've actually found nothing wrong with the game & are just here to have a moan because you're losing.

I really like the current match engine. It's for once vaguely realistic, none of this rediculous 44 premier league goal strikers stuff I used to get (my own players by the way).

The only think I don't like is the number of little injuries is probably a tad too much.

"Anyone else notice that : The MATCH ENGINE ( not the whole game) is complete crap and how everyone is in denial that this years game is crap and not as good as previous version."

There have been some excellent, mature and intelligent discussions about how to move the ME forward in this forum. Then you come along with a pathetic comment like that. You clearly haven't read any of the discussions. You have nothing to add. No one is in denial, least of all SI but some of us have constructive ideas to offer. :mad::thdn: :thdn:

Have you any idea how ridiculous this argument is?

Oh so he thinks the game sucks so he has to go off and make his own football manager game! otherwise he has no right to criticise it right?

Yeah maybe he's not satisfied with his new HD TV? yeah I'd like to see him design and build his own state of the art home entertainment system!

Or maybe his newly delivered Ferrari won't start? yeah I'd like to see him design and build his own high performance sports car!

Have you any idea how ridiculous this argument is?

Oh so he thinks the game sucks so he has to go off and make his own football manager game! otherwise he has no right to criticise it right?

Yeah maybe he's not satisfied with his new HD TV? yeah I'd like to see him design and build his own state of the art home entertainment system!

Or maybe his newly delivered Ferrari won't start? yeah I'd like to see him design and build his own high performance sports car!

If he's not satisfied he has three options:

1.) Head up a campaign change it for what he sees as the better. This one requires a majority, or at least a powerful minority to agree with him.

2.) Find a better one and play that. This one requires a better game.

3.) Make a better one.

It worked for Lamborghini, he didn't think a Ferrari was good enough, so he made his own!

4. Vent his frustration on the developers forum under the illusion the more people that complain, the more likely something shall be done about it, and that his mindless rant actually counts for something

5. Rampage with a semi-automatic weapon at developers location

6. Suicide

7. Elbow-drop the game box, snap the cd in half and then eat the pieces whilst proclaiming that he'll 'never play the game again'

8. The possibilities are endless...

I think he has slightly more choice than the 3 options you listed above, but nice try.

The match engine is pap this year, compare it to 08 and I'm not sure anyone would prefer it (cue people saying they prefer it). It hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the game, but I don't think I can buy another incarnation of FM on blind faith anymore.

Well I would rather the strikers were banging them in too much than too little but you do have a point.

This year though, watching my AML/R skin opponents down the wing hugging the touchline, then do the same with the byline before smashing it in from the narrowest of angles past the keeper on his near post is getting a tad repetitive. Whilst the variation of goals sure beats 9.1 it still doesn't feel like I'm watching a game of football as much as 08 did.

You could argue that all I need to do to change tactics if I'm sick of watching my wingers run rampant but I seriously struggle with getting to grips with it this year and I will take anything I can get, including corners punted into the 6 yard box all the time.

I very rarely see anything like that, actually I think the last time I saw something like that was in 9.2...

My strikers are scoring bang on what I'd expect a top world class striker to score. Seems about right to me, though I do kind of miss Fred's (regen) 67 goals in 60 matches at a rating of 7.9.

With 9.2 the wingers used to horse down the touchline in a straight line dodging every tackle and then cross but with 9.3 if they do make it past the fullback they will now bomb down the byline straight for goal, which if you have a striker with a secondary natural winger position and a shedload of pace and dribbling you are looking at a lot of goals. All I can say is thank god the AI don't employ these tactics often though, because it's near impossible to stop when it's a great player on the ball at top level.

• 4 years later...

I was just looking through my old posts and I am pleased to say I have matured slightly within the past 4 years and I am quite embarrassed by how I acted in my teenage years :D Funnily enough I am now doing a Computer Science degree in hope to be a future software developer and I am in the middle of creating a similar Football Manager style game. I now appreciate the effort gone into making games and the complexity of creating such a game. Maybe not Mustardpower manager 2011 but hopefully I'll create a decent looking game in time for Mustpower manager 2014. Well done SI for making FM so good :)

I think people should study the games more and take the hints of what the match graphics are telling you

like the strikers not scoring could be many reasons and its down to you as a manger to work that out. I see people complain about the match engine or the match graphics looking stupid or being broke when they trying to play out of defence with donkey defenders who are not designed to play out of defence then blame the match engine because they give the ball away or do stupid stuff which costs them goals.

Same with strikers just cos they have many chances u have to see why they aren't finishing them are they under pressure to much from opposition maybe the role is too restricted and they aren't finding space well enough or are they just not clear cut chances at all and just wild finishes as they have no support and its there only option to shoot.

I believe the match engine and the match graphics does do silly things sometimes but it for a reason its like hinting at u to change something like if u see a lone striker getting beyond your defence time and time again from aimless long balls maybe drop deeper for example or put more pressure on there cds to stop hoofing it to them also u see stuff like throw ins going straight to opposition which I worked out its because I hadn't set my throw ins properly the game would be right to show silly throw ins once in a while if u haven't bothered doing anything with them correct?

I just think the 2d/3d matches are just trying to reflect and give blatant hints to you what is not going well in this match and its down to u to change or tweak something if u think it could be a problem you need to counteract.

Archived