what are regens?

Quoted from FM wiki Regen page:

Back in the days when Football Manager was known as 'Championship Manager', there was a player development system whereby players that retired would come back as another young player. This young player would turn out to have the same attributes & position as the retired player, but would come back under a different name. Basically, the player was regenerated by the game. Hence the term 'regen'. A new player development system was introduced a few years ago, where players were no longer regenerated. Under this system, when a player retired, he was replaced by a new player that was completely different to the retiring player. Then, the system was changed again so that generation of players was not linked to retirement. After this alteration, the database size could fluctuate a lot more. Because of this, the correct term for the newly generated players is 'FRED'. They are still commonly referred to as regens nonetheless.

Back in the days when Football Manager was known as 'Championship Manager', there was a player development system whereby players that retired would come back as another young player. This young player would turn out to have the same attributes & position as the retired player, but would come back under a different name. Basically, the player was regenerated by the game. Hence the term 'regen'.

I do miss the days of waiting for Weah to retire and then buying the only Liberian in the game. :p

Gee, maybe I should update the wiki page...

Back in the days when Football Manager was known as 'Championship Manager', there was a player development system whereby players that retired would come back as another young player. This young player would turn out to have the same attributes & position as the retired player, but would come back under a different name. Basically, the player was regenerated by the game. Hence the term 'regen'. A new player development system was introduced a few years ago, where players were no longer regenerated. Under this system, when a player retired, he was replaced by a new player that was completely different to the retiring player. Under this system, the term "regen" was changed to "newgen." Then, the system was changed again so that generation of players was not linked to retirement. After this alteration, the database size could fluctuate a lot more. Since the new system neither made "regens" nor "newgens", an SI programmer was asked what the new players were to be called. He said, 'The new system doesn't have a name. I don't know. Call it FRED.' So the proper term for newly generated players is now "FREDs." They are still commonly referred to as regens nonetheless.

That's probably right- I couldn't remember what a FRED stood for when I put that passage in...

After the programmer (I believe it was Neil, but I could easily be wrong) made the announcement, there was much debate as to what FRED stood for. No official information was forthcoming, and the community wasn't able to agree on anything, so FRED as an acronym still doesn't really stand for anything.

Archived