A framework to develop player positions in the game

** I did post this in Tactics & Training forum, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm trying here. Apologies if this is wrong **

Hi

I was thinking about how FM could become more "fluid" with it's tactical instructions, and how more talented players can adapt to different positions dependant on the tactical instructions they are given.

The idea was born from working out how to fit Theo Walcott into a formation, and thinking that if he can play as a right winger (AMR) why can't he be equally effective as a standard MR, with a different set of tactical instructions?

The examples below are high profile, but I think the idea carries weight for a lot more players, and can better serve some players adaptability.

Take a player such as Rooney. He's a FC in the game, naturally his position is centre forward, but if you see his performances when assigned a "free role", he is equally devastating anywhere across the AM positions as well as upfront. His positional algorithm might look like this.

If creative freedom < 10 (slider position) or Free Role = No, effective position(s) FC

If creative freedom >=15 (slider position) or Free Role = Yes, effective position(s) AM/F RLC

So basically, if you were playing a style where you were playing tight with little creative freedom (maybe a counter / defensive strategy) Rooney would be better served playing as a second striker.

The same could be said of Gerrard. His natural position might be AMC (natural at both CM & AMC), however an algorithm for him might be.

If creative freedom < 10 or Free Role = No or Forward Runs = Rarely, effective position(s) MC / AMC

If creative freedom >=15 or Free Role = Yes or Forward Runs = Often, effective position(s) AMC RLC

The same should also be applied to players who have a natural position of DMC / MC. There effect in either position could be governed by the tactical instructions given. Example

If Forward Runs = No or Mentality <10, effective position(s) DMC

If Forward Runs = Mixed / Yes or Mentality > 10, effective positions = MC

You can apply the same to...

Fullbacks - conservative instructions would be DR / DL, more adventurous would be DR WBR / DL WBL

Wingers - conservative instructions would be MR / ML, more adventurous would be MR AMR / ML AML

Centre Backs - ultra defensive instructions might allow some players to be accomplished at a Sweeper Role

Clearly these are simple examples, but in my opinion it would be a very interesting addition to see players effective or "accomplished" positions change as per tactical instructions.

In summary, rather than "hard coding" a players different levels of ability in different positions (the colour coding in the positions screen) it would be good to have more control over positions by changing tactical instructions.

Feel free to debate. Thanks

Archived