Strikers Scoring?

In my second season with Forest in the Championship i'm top scorers with 43 goals for from 21 games. I have two top scorers, (ST) and (CM) both on 11.

My advice is that if your strikers keep getting chances but not scoring (eg 1on1's straight at the keeper), change their training schedule to focus on shooting (attacking).

This should soon sort out their shooting problems. You could also publically state your disappointment in their performance or offer them a rest. :D

I use the strong target man system and the faster, more technical combo.

*Warning player naming below*

-

-

-

-

-

-

Stephen Fletcher has 32 goals in 35 games so far.

Mahamodou Diarra has 15 in 30.

And I cant remember my backup/hot prospect but he has 5 in about 14.

My loaned out player Sadick adams has 8 in 17.

I find that strikers can be very prone to going on long scoring droughts. When my strikers are in good form, they tend to bag plenty .. but once a drought starts, it seems to continue forever.

Anybody have team-talk or motivational tips for how to get a striker to start scoring again when he's suffering from lack of confidence?

It does seem to be very tactic-specific; I have a striker who by any measure should be an absolute world beater (CA 189, Finishing 18, Composure 17, Jumping 19, Heading 18, Acceleration 19, Pace 17). But so far in a season and a half for me, playing as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 with pushed-up wingers, his league record is 43 apps, 40% shots on target, 13 goals, 15 assists, 7.30 av. rating. It's not exactly a bad record with the assists considered, and his aerial ability is seeing me bossing possession in most games (I am top of the Premiership by 5 points at Christmas!), but the shots on target seems pretty poor for those stats (and he constantly refuses to learn Places Shots, unhelpfully)

The more frustrating element is what I can't get him to do; in 9.2 I got a ton of goals from striker, because I had a speedster with Likes To Round Keeper, Tries To Beat Offside Trap and Places Shots in front of a central midfield trio all of whom had Tries Killer Balls, which in the 9.2 ME guaranteed me 1-3 one-on-ones a game. Now that's unrealistic, and fair enough, 9.3 solved it, but now I have a striker with that pace and acceleration who has never once been one-on-one with the keeper because no-one ever plays that pass and even if he gets the ball behind the defence he always gets caught at the edge of the box, so things have swung too far the other way. Equally, in neither patch have I seen the lone striker consistently receive crosses; I get a fair few goals from them, but it's always one winger hitting it to the other winger on the far post, never to the striker at the near post.

As other posters are saying, there are ways to do it, and as I demonstrate you can be successful without goals from that spot (although even I'm using the corner exploit as it's the way I've set up corners for years anyway). But there are things that could use some work in FM10, particularly speed of players with vs. without the ball and variety of cross aiming.

1 Striker upfront for me with an AMFC behind him for Gateshead, My striker is banging goals in for fun just up his attacking mentality and give him a free role and you should see an improvement even with 2 strikers.

Think the thing that worked with me also with 2 up top was the fact I gave them opposite instructions to one another maybe giving that a go may help. Set one as really attacking and the other as normal.

Might not work but meh :)

The "Free Role" doesn't always work as there is a hidden attribute for Free Role

You see you have taught me something new there :), What is the main hidden attribute I always accustomed it to skill and pace and flair etc.

Think the key is to play around with the strikers and he can get it right eventually.

I think it really depends on tactics. My Ajax plays a tactic that could be described as 4-1-2-2-1 (one DMC, two MC-s, two wingers and target man).

As all three midfielders run forward often and passing is set down both flanks, my attack usually rolls as following: pass to striker who gives it to winger who runs down his flank to cross the ball in front of the goal where are already 2 midfielders and striker (+other winger in far post).

In this situation you need a good header to score. As I have midfielders with reasonably good heading (Gabri, Enoh) they score quite a lot of times in these situations. Gabri has 15 long shot attribute, so his long shots are set to often and he also scores from long shots.

So it happens that my striker has scored just 5 league goals from 19 games as Gabri already has scored 10 Eredivisie goals (leading the scorers table of the league) and 13 goals in total this season.

Archived