Suggestion: Telling players to warm up...

Yea or Nea  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Yea or Nea

Good feature yes or no?

Yesterday whilst watching Arsenal vs Villarreal I noticed Wenger tell Bentdner to begin warming up, a few mintes later Adebayor's performance went up a notch :D.

Apart from its obvious use do you think it wields a tactical use?

In my opinion this trick (motivating the first 11 by warming people up), which is used quite often IRL, only works like once per every 10 games. I'm not sure you would want to include a function that has so little effect (in my opinion).

But I can see your point. It is actually a trick that real managers use quite often and that might be a reason to include it, but one could discuss the efficiency of the trick.

EDIT: To be fair, I'm not even sure if players on the pitch actually notice who's warming up.

Assuming it was implemented properly, players will be more likely to get injured if they hadn't warmed up properly when you bought them on. So to my mind, any benefits you'd gain from having this feature are far outweighed by the fact you will have to tell a player to warm up before you can bring him on, meaning that making subs will be far more time consuming and fiddly. It's just not necessary in my opinion.

I like the idea, it is of course not only used for motivating the first 11, but also to "warm up" so they will not suffer a injury instantly.

But how to implement this in the game (motivation, reducing injuries if a players warms up correctly) so it doesn't get boring after three games I have no idea.

I like the idea, it is of course not only used for motivating the first 11, but also to "warm up" so they will not suffer a injury instantly.

But how to implement this in the game (motivation, reducing injuries if a players warms up correctly) so it doesn't get boring after three games I have no idea.

@ You first sentence; the OP did already say "Apart from its obvious use" ;)

Assuming it was implemented properly, players will be more likely to get injured if they hadn't warmed up properly when you bought them on. So to my mind, any benefits you'd gain from having this feature are far outweighed by the fact you will have to tell a player to warm up before you can bring him on, meaning that making subs will be far more time consuming and fiddly. It's just not necessary in my opinion.

You'd actually do very well to find any scientific journal which shows that warming up reduces injury rates. It makes sense theoretically, but has never been proven.

You'd actually do very well to find any scientific journal which shows that warming up reduces injury rates. It makes sense theoretically, but has never been proven.

It's not a case of whether it's been scientifically proven, it's a case of how SI would decide to implement it in the game, and I guess they would almost certainly go down the route of waming up reduces chances of injury. If they didn't implement it like this, then there would effectively be no downside to telling players to warm up (that I can think of anyway), so you'd just have players warming up constantly for maximum benefit.

I would only have it if it were to make some impact but lets be realistic it's not gonna have any impact telling someone to warm up?? Plus subs generally warm up on their own judgement as well, not just the manager telling them.

Telling a player to warm up may motivate the players on the pitch, but also it may have a detrimental effect on the player who has been told to wamr up, he may be thinking he's about to walk out and show the manager what he can do, but after the warm up, and the manager doesn't bring the player on, then he may become upset and his morale will decline.

I'm not eager, mostly because it already takes so long to send on a substitute.

But by adding this option, what can happen? Get it wrong and you have more injured players - and balancing quantity of injuries with realism is already a precarious act - get it right and what happens? Nothing really, your player just avoids injury.

I can't think of many examples where a player has been motivated by the possibility of a sub coming on to replace him. Besides, you often see players jogging and stretching along the touchline, but they often end up sat down again...

Archived