My centre back keeps scoring from corners (9.3)

I seem to be scoring many goals from corners and I was wondering if this is normal, I have read about corner tactics in previous versions but I don’t know if they would apply to fm2009 9.3.

I attack the near post with my tall striker, the far post with one of my centre backs and challenge the goalkeeper with the other centre back.

The player that challenges the goalkeeper has scored 10 goals in 42 matches this year, only one was from a free kick and the other 9 were from corners. He is a centre back with good jumping and heading attributes, he is also 10 to 20 centimeters taller than average defenders in the league.

Is this a bug or should I just be thankful? :confused:

Oh, and the player that serves the corners has high corner taking,

I always thought that being tall and strong would lead to winning more headers, while the heading ability would mean better hits, but now I am confused about it.

No, being tall makes absolutely no difference in the game. It is purely cosmetic.

Stats that contribute to players being good headers of the ball are heading and jumping.

So whats the point in "mark tall player" stuff in defensive corner options if hieght is just cosmetic?
Taller players are normally better jumpers, so you are marking the best jumper really.

Arsenal is correct. Just to elaborate a bit, height is cosmetic but is generally reflected in heading and jumping.

Having a player challenge the goalkeeper will lead to a lot of goals. It's the new corner exploit in the game.

Fwiw, being tall makes no difference to how effective they are.

It's not new; it's annoying that they've failed to remove it. It is an exploit leading to a stupid number of goals from corners by DCs. For the sake of realism I refuse to have anyone challenge the keeper.

I set my team up from corners the exact same. It would happen in real life, someone attacking the keeper so y not....

Obviously the scoring ratio wouldnt be as high but stil thats how teams score goals from set pieces by putting the keeper off

It's not new; it's annoying that they've failed to remove it. It is an exploit leading to a stupid number of goals from corners by DCs. For the sake of realism I refuse to have anyone challenge the keeper.

I always have this answer to this.

In the higher leagues at least, no team puts their centre back to mark the keeper, they put a smallish striker there just to impeed the keeper and the places that are best in the air attack the ball.... only exception that springs to mind is the way Tim Cahill plays and that due to his great standing spring, and he takes up the keeper position as generally wont get marked and he runs from that position outwards and scores often due to that.

in other words, if you got your best header of the ball standing on the keeper you doing this to exploit the ME then to complain about it.

It is new, it wasn't around before 9.3.0 in this form.

it's a bug they're not planned to fix.

pray they decided to remove it along with the italian co ownership bug when you pay for another installment next august.

It's not a bug, it's an exploit of the games match engine. If you don't like it then don't set a player to challenge the keeper at corners.

that's how i have set up my corners for years. it works well (except i prefer to have a tall strikers on the keeper and near post)

That was the same for me. I've had my game since 9.2.0 and had corners working well if not brilliantly. But I have had to change them since Kolo Toure kept scoring.

I won't answer FM mad, xx11 seems to have done that.

I think he was referring to it being in FM08 quite prominently, Arsenal 2111.

Yes, there was a corner bug in FM08. But that was completely different. You had to take time to get the instructions right to set that up.

This is a different corner bug, it's simple to create.

Sorry to use such a morbid metaphor, but it's a bit like a tumour. A tumour is a tumour, but lets say they found a new tumour they wouldn't call it the same as an existing one.

Fwiw, being tall makes no difference to how effective they are.

Is that really true?

Considering arrows were removed from tactics to avoid confusion then it's a bit farcical that this is in the game! Why shouldn't everyone assume that height contributes to aerial ability? I've been buying strikers and defenders for a long time based on this 'stat'.

Peter Crouch isn't good at jumping but wins headers simply by being big. Either height should be removed from the game or made to be part of the calculations for winning headers, surely?

Is that really true?

Considering arrows were removed from tactics to avoid confusion then it's a bit farcical that this is in the game! Why shouldn't everyone assume that height contributes to aerial ability? I've been buying strikers and defenders for a long time based on this 'stat'.

Peter Crouch isn't good at jumping but wins headers simply by being big. Either height should be removed from the game or made to be part of the calculations for winning headers, surely?

It already is.

It forms part of the jumping skill.

That's not the same thing though. Jumping is how high they can jump, but tall players don't really need to do this so they're often not good at it.

I'd expect someone who is 6'5 with 11/12 jumping to be someone who is 6'0 with 18/19 jumping every time. In fact, I've often bought centre backs/strikers who are very tall but not great at jumping assuming that they'll be great in the air.

At the very least 'jumping' needs to be renamed to be clear what it is. 'Aerial ability' or something would be much clearer.

You guys have all missed out strength - it is an important attribute when it come to winning the ball.

That would make sense.

But still...someone like Crouch is knocked over by a stiff breeze and can hardly get off the ground but he's still brilliant at heading because of his height.

That's not the same thing though. Jumping is how high they can jump, but tall players don't really need to do this so they're often not good at it.

I'd expect someone who is 6'5 with 11/12 jumping to be someone who is 6'0 with 18/19 jumping every time. In fact, I've often bought centre backs/strikers who are very tall but not great at jumping assuming that they'll be great in the air.

At the very least 'jumping' needs to be renamed to be clear what it is. 'Aerial ability' or something would be much clearer.

Jumping in FM speak is how high a player can get his head off the ground and is a mix of his height and his ability to get off the ground.

Jumping in FM speak is how high a player can get his head off the ground and is a mix of his height and his ability to get off the ground.

Okay, thanks.

It's going to take me a long, long time to get out of the habit at looking at the height of players when buying them! It was always in my search criteria for strikers and centre backs. I should probably stop releasing all my youth goalkeepers and centre backs who are under 6 foot as well.

SI have stated in the past that the "bug" was given low priority because a) the AI cannot use it, and b) it's easily fixed by the user.

Alternatively, instead of having your centre back challenge the keeper, have one of your strikers do it. I get maybe 8-10 goals a season this way, which feels way more realistic. Kind of ratio Shearer, Sherringham, Yorke, Les Ferdiand, et al had in their day (not from stats, just my general memories).

It is new, it wasn't around before 9.3.0 in this form.

It's not a bug, it's an exploit of the games match engine. If you don't like it then don't set a player to challenge the keeper at corners.

Potato, Potato.

How can it be any differences to set ST to challenge instead of a DC make it not a bug ?

i can understand both sides of the argument...im in my 4th season as man utd and vidic is my leading scorer in the league with 11 goals from 20 games. this is totally unrealistic but its hard to change my corner tactics when i need a goal but i change it so that i dont score. and how do i know whether or not the next goal is a genuine goal that i deserve or just because of a bug? also the bug seems to get worse for each season, as after 21 games ive scored something like 25 goals from coners but my 1st full season was only about 13 and around 16 in my 2nd season

I have pretty much the same setup as the OP (as recommended in one of the tactics guides) but I left my corners on mixed. Result: led the league in goals from corners with 9 in 30 games. Nothing special, and at least 2-3 of those were scored by another defender set to near post flick-on. Seems fair enough.

Archived