Does the game work on the new Mac Mini?

Sorry if this is covered anywhere else, but I've spent ages looking and can't find it, plus the new Mac Mini is only a month or so old.

I had the game running on a PC without any trouble, but I've just bought the Mac Mini. The system requirement all seem to be more than met by the specifications of this. From what I've read, it should be easier to get the game working on a Mac anyway.

The disc is recognised and installs seemingly without problems. But when clicking on the FM icon to open the game, nothing happens. No error messages, just nothing. I've reinstalled, tried to open it in different ways, tried to add the patches, but I can't get it to open.

Any help on this would be really appreciated as I'll consider sending the Mac Mini back if it can't even run this game.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. Does it not work with any other applications running then?

I've closed everything else but still doesn't work.

Doesn't seem to be a permissions thing either. I've had no problem with anything else I've installed.

When I click on FM09 now it appears in the top menu instead of finder, but when clicking main menu or new game etc., nothing happens. Even without the disc it never asks to insert it so there's something wrong.

well i dont use a mac mini, it's just when i tried to install first time it failed, i closed down other apps and it worked fine

right click on the FM icon mate, and choose option: Open at login.

Log Out, then Log In, see if it will run, this will determine the outcome

I've tried that but no luck.

When I select "quit football manager" a blank window appears and an error message saying "did not find font resource: vera".

It then doesn't allow me to exit. So I have to restart the computer to close the application, even though it was never really open.

Can't believe it can be this difficult.

I've tried that but no luck.

When I select "quit football manager" a blank window appears and an error message saying "did not find font resource: vera".

It then doesn't allow me to exit. So I have to restart the computer to close the application, even though it was never really open.

Can't believe it can be this difficult.

Spent hours looking through the forum but really can't find anything on this. Do the games developers still come on here? There was a thread on installation and activation when it was first released and they answered lots of problems.

Really eager to get the game working! It could be something really simple, I've never used a Mac before the last few weeks.

Still nothing?

I've asked in the Apple store but they don't know. Really don't want to have to send the computer back and get a PC again. Only have 2 days to sort it out now.

Do developers not help with problems on this site anymore?

No still nothing. Been through a few of the suggested threads, tried loads of things, reinstalled a few times. Tried with and without patches.

At the moment clicking FM doesn't do anything but bring an FM menu in the finder bar. None of the options on this work. Only when you try to quit the game does a blank window appear, then the vera font error comes up. Have to force quit to come out of it and logout.

Starting to lose hope now!

Shame the developers don't help anymore. I'm not stuck with a useless copy of the game if anyone wants it.

Hate to ask, but does anyone play any other management games that actually work on a Mac? Haven't looked at CM for years but seems FM and their support has gone downhill a long way.

Weird, I reinstalled for the 5th time and now it says this when I try to launch =

"The application Football Manager 2009 v 9.0.0 f 23552 quit unexpectedly". Now, I had the patches installed before. I've tried adding then no error message even comes up.

With the new patch it just gives the font vera error message. Without the patch it gives the unexpected termination message.

Either way, it's been 3 weeks trying and no closer to playing. How are SI allowed to sell games that aren't finished and are so hard to actually make work?

Still nothing. Trying endless things with caches and permissions, but it has no effect at all. I'm convinced it's something more similar. I'd leave it to the technical forum, but not as many people go in there. Just gutted it's been such a let down. Nearly a month I've been trying to get this thing working.

Help help help

Tried to return the mac mini yesterday but it's outside the return period now so I'm stuck with it sadly. Guess it's alright in other ways, internet is certainly v fast as are downloads. But I still doubt it's a mac mini problem. More likely my mac incompetence.

When you installed yours was it just a matter of put the disc in, install then click the FM logo?

Glad it worked for someone.

Strange it fails in different ways with each patch though. Without any patches nothing happens for me. No errors, nothing. It never even registers whether the disc is in or not. Just tried with the first patch then the second. Nothing. But with the third it's the font error. Although still it makes no difference whether the disc is in or not.

Why does installing create different files in "documents" as well as applications? Doesn't actually seem to be any files in the documents section, just folders for skins etc.

Tried deleting and reinstalling. Tried the new patch from several different sources, still the font vera problem. But surely the game should work unpatched anyway? I don't see that a patch would magically fix it if it doesn't even start. There is no reaction at all without any patches.

Tried making a new user and installing there. Tried the permissions stuff and deleting caches. tried everything i can find on the problems threads.

I just don't believe it can be impossible on a brand new computer, it's ridiculous. Don't underestimate how little I know about Macs though, it is in all liklihood ridiculously simple.

I did try them briefly before posting on here. They didn't seem to have much idea, and at 1 pound per minute I didn't want to wait much longer! Might have to consider it again I guess.

Getting too late now really. All I wanted was to play it over this weekend as I had 5 days off. Busy tomorrow and little time off after that, so it's ultimately frustrating anyway. Guess I'll have to hope and pray the new version is better.

this is a real annoyance mate, as i feel your pain as ive gone through it with another game

Wha did the helpline people have to say, tough toenails i suppose?

Similar to the early suggestions on here even though I tried to quickly explain what I'd already tried to limit the cost!

Will keep trying a bit this weekend but I'm not holding out much hope anymore. Almost tempted to get FM08 and give that a try.

Archived