Best Journeyman Careers

Journeyman careers are the best. Feels great when you rise to the top from the very bottom! I'm doing one right now. I reached the top 10 minutes ago :). Here's my career to date.

Started off with a wee Scottish club, Cowdenbeath. First season; Won league by 11 points, 3rd round in Scottish cup, out in the first round of the other two. Second season i stayed on (despite several SD2 and even an SD1 team wanting me). Finished 2nd! Got to promotion final too, but 7-2 on aggregate, beat in 4th round rep. vs Aberdeen 4-3, out in 2nd round of other two.

Next chapter in my career; Motherwell came calling. I went and built a strong team; Smith, Edwards, Reynolds, Rocha, Stewart, Commons, Faye, Skacel, Boa Morte, Murphy, Di Santo. Finished 3rd, behind the Old Firm obviously. EURO Cup group stage stopped me and got the Quarter final of Scottish Cup. League cup runners up. Second season i signed Aouate, Gibson, Oddo and Beye. I left half-way through, when i was joint 2nd. Which brings me on to my next team.

And it's Rangers. Walter Smith goes to Napoli so i replace him. With half the season to go, i was already top. And with John Fleck and my new signing, Dimitri Payet, upfront, it's hard to beat. With ease, I won the league. Respectable positions in cups aswell. Champions League 1st KO round defeat by Real Madrid. Semi's of Scottish Cup, and won the League Cup. I again, won the league with the greatest of ease and Finished in the semi's of the EURO cup after dropping into it with the 3rd spot. And finished runner's up of both Scottish cups.

After the summer i was called by Valencia, Roma and Liverpool. I chose Roma, as i didn't want to move to the Prem yet and the Spannish league isn't great IMO. So i was given £145M and i used it well; Akinfeev, Azpilicueta, Mexes, Felipe, Antunes, Aquillani, De Rossi, Souai (regen), Vucinic, Fleck, Baptista. It was a two-horse race in the league all the way, but i won by 6 points in the end. Won the Italian supercup at the start too BTW. Rampaged into the Champions Cup final and won on pens vs Barcelona. So you see, with a little effort, anyone can get to the top ;).

All i want now is to have a shot at the English leagues (after Roma, not quite done here yet!), and a bit of international with maybe my own country (Scotland) and a big nation.

What do you think of mines?

And what's your best journeyman career?

Cheers.

I had one on FM2008. Started at Tiro Federal in the Argentine Second Division, stayed for 4 years after establishing them as a strong top flight team. Was unemployed for 2/3 months after quitting, then got the Uzbekistan job, which helped me get a job at Dinamo St Petersburg in the Russian 1st Division. Finished high mid-table and quit to go to Tromso in the Norwegian First Division. Won promotion, then finished 2nd in the Premier Division, and then quit halfway through the next season after I lost the dressing room. Went to Torpedo Moscow in the Russian Premier Division and stayed for 6 months in which I guided the team to a fairly safe position, before going to NAC Breda in Holland, and I stopped playing soon after then as I got bored. I also managed New Zealand at some stage in this game.

I never got to the top, but it's what you'd call a "journeyman" career.

I went from Burton Albion, finished 5th and the season after I finished top. Stayed there for another 2 years in which I won the JPT before taking the job at Bradford. They were in League 1 but had a squad strong enough to get promoted and with 3 signings I got promoted. Left them after that and went to Nottingham Forest. I bought a regen from Liverpool for 300k who score 29 league goals for me and I finished 4th but got beat in the playoffs. Season 7 I spent 7 million pounds and dis-mantled the squad. Finished top easily but got offered a job at Athletico Madrid. I'm in season 8 now and I want to win the league. :)

Good career so far mate. I prefer to play journeyman careers too and enjoy the longevity this gives me. I'm currently doing one at the minute. Started with the lowest rep (Sunday morning footballer) at Lurgan Celtic and took them from the bottom league of NI to Northern Irish Premier Division champs in 7 years and had a few cup wins on the way too. After 7 fairly successful years there i got offered the job at Ross County in the Scottish Second Division. Managed to get them up to the SPL in 4 years with a challenge cup win on the way. Then AFC Wimbledon came calling after being relegated back to the BSS, so, feeling i had left Ross County in a good state, i decided to try and bring some good times to everybodys favourite peoples club, AFC Wimbledon. Currently in 2019 and my first season in charge at Kings Meadow sitting pretty at the top of the BSS. Hopefully i can repeat some of the relative success i've had with my previous clubs at AFC Wimbledon. Where i'll be in 20 years? Who knows.

Currently in 2021 in my FM08 save. Started with Visby Gute in the Swedish 3rd division - got sacked by them after a year and relegation. Kenty in the Swedish 4th div. took me on, unfortunately just before they got relegated out of the league! I then took on another carp Swedish team in Ljungby. In 7 years I took them from the Swedish 4th div (2MG). to the lower-middle reaches of the Premier league (Superettan), and a new stadium.

Swansea came in for me, and I helped lift them out of League 2 in my year in charge until HSV Hamburg, then in trouble in Bundesliga 3, approached me in 2016. Over the course of 4 and a half years, I lifted them back into the Bundesliga, but couldn't break into the Champions League positions by the time A.C. Milan approached. Only a few months into the job, but it's lovely to have so much money and general resources to play with!! The expectations of the board might be something new to deal with tough...

had a good career where i started with melbourne victory and spent five or so years then winning a few league titles and doing okay in the acl, then went to fulham for half a season and got them promoted from the championship. left them when they didn't give me money to keep them up and went to olympiakos where i built a young team and won the superleague, ended up at man utd. that's the most leagues i've won in different countries i think.

Archived