Small AI Squads

I did a search but couldn't see anything about this on the first couple of pages of results.

Is it just my long term game (in 2014 now) that the AI squads have absolutely tiny squads (in England at least). The Premier League first teams aren't so bad with around 20-23 players, their reserve teams are tiny though with around 12 players most of which are players who are running down youth contracts before being released. This makes finding loan players hard, but in the lower leagues it gets much worse.

The Championship teams are managing with 20 first team players and around the same number of reserves as the EPL clubs, most are players running down youth contracts. League One and League Two have barely enough first team players to fill a squad, reserves are almost entirely youth players running down contracts.

A quick glance around other active leagues on the save show a similar problem. Is this intentional? As in previous versions of FM the top clubs all have massively bloated squads.

sounds the same as my own personal squad, unless im running a spanish team, i have a first team of 20-30 players, and reserves are players running down youth contracts.

I don't remember it being this bad in FM07, maybe it is just I never looked at other squads that much in my long term game on that version. Never got very far in 08 so I have no idea what it was like on that version.

I'm really losing the will to carry on with the game now. I need to be able to loan players from bigger clubs as I have no money and I'm trying to keep very tight control on the wage budget. I'll give it another season but I can see myself giving up entirely on FM09.

This problem has only been around since CM2 or something - don't worry, it'll be fixed in time for FM20

Either that or they'll do something much more worthwhile like adding extra sponsorship boards or grass textures, or remaking the sounds..

Yeah I have noticed this as well. Mourinho went to Man City on my game (2020 so far) and was there for about two months before being sacked. I had a look at the team because I thought about applying for the job, they didn't have enough first team players to make up a squad because so many had left on a free the season before.

It is mad, the AI teams seem to hold onto players for years and years and never bother to update. I cannot even begin to say how many times I have take over a team in England (and to a certain extent other countrie, but England is the worst for it) and found the number of 34+ year olds in the team is way above average.

Archived