My board are nutters (not another newbie rant...)

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know that there are a million posts about this issue lying around these boards, but I felt I had to post this seperate as there wasn't one currently near the top.

I just arrived at April 1st of my 2nd season with Forest, and having just gained promotion to the Premiership with 6 games to go, and an FA Cup Semi-Final against fellow Championship side Wigan to come up, I got a nice suprise from my board;

"To summarise, the board are very pleased with your overall leadership of the team.

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of your current reign is your extremely good progress in trying to attain the club's long-term ambitions."

Happy days I thought, after you see so many posts on here of people gaining promotion and getting 'satisfied' etc, something which has caused me to resign in the past versions of the game out of principle. Then came the laughs;

"Despite the positives, Nottm Forest's English FA Cup Sixth Round 3-3 draw with Portsmouth cannot be ignored."

Here I am, Nottingham Forest, formerly struggling in League ONE when I took over, now top of the Championship, promoted to the Premiership, soon to be declared Champions (9 points clear, game in hand, 6 to go), and I draw 3-3 at home to Premiership Portsmouth.

I only went and won the AWAY replay 2-0 and if I beat Wigan, 4th in the Championship, I will be in an FA Cup final. But apparantly, that 3-3 draw at home was disgusting, and will never be forgotten lol.

I know it's a bug, but I just find this hilarious. If it wasn't a bug and just a ridiculously over the top board, I'd probably see out the season and quit.

Wonder if they'll remember that disgusting 3-3 draw if I eventually win the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League Treble. I wouldn't blame them, would you? icon_wink.gif

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know that there are a million posts about this issue lying around these boards, but I felt I had to post this seperate as there wasn't one currently near the top.

I just arrived at April 1st of my 2nd season with Forest, and having just gained promotion to the Premiership with 6 games to go, and an FA Cup Semi-Final against fellow Championship side Wigan to come up, I got a nice suprise from my board;

"To summarise, the board are very pleased with your overall leadership of the team.

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of your current reign is your extremely good progress in trying to attain the club's long-term ambitions."

Happy days I thought, after you see so many posts on here of people gaining promotion and getting 'satisfied' etc, something which has caused me to resign in the past versions of the game out of principle. Then came the laughs;

"Despite the positives, Nottm Forest's English FA Cup Sixth Round 3-3 draw with Portsmouth cannot be ignored."

Here I am, Nottingham Forest, formerly struggling in League ONE when I took over, now top of the Championship, promoted to the Premiership, soon to be declared Champions (9 points clear, game in hand, 6 to go), and I draw 3-3 at home to Premiership Portsmouth.

I only went and won the AWAY replay 2-0 and if I beat Wigan, 4th in the Championship, I will be in an FA Cup final. But apparantly, that 3-3 draw at home was disgusting, and will never be forgotten lol.

I know it's a bug, but I just find this hilarious. If it wasn't a bug and just a ridiculously over the top board, I'd probably see out the season and quit.

Wonder if they'll remember that disgusting 3-3 draw if I eventually win the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League Treble. I wouldn't blame them, would you? icon_wink.gif

My Man. United board are currently in uproar because my youngsters were just knocked out of the League Cup by a full-strength Arsenal side.

This comes off the back of board room panic over the unacceptable draw my youngsters got at Antwerp in a pre-season friendly.

My point? Board confidence is reminiscent of a bag full of steaming poops at the moment, only more annoying.

I firmly believe it will be fixed for FM09. I just can't imagine that SI won't sort this out.

So long as it doesn't unrealistically outbalance the good points of the board it isn't a big issue. The board always pick one thing to be happy about and one to be unhappy about however well or badly you are doing.

My first season at Bremen went amazingly well, but first match of the season was a league cup QF with Bayern Munich where I got my tactics woefully wrong so we got knocked out. The board had expected us to reach the final so for the rest of the season, whenever they could find nothing else to moan about they would return to this and remind me that they wer enot impressed.

At least if it is an individual match result it drops off radar after some amount of time (I've never bothered to check, but matches drop off the bottom of the list in confidence and get forgotten after a certain time, competition disappointment lasts the whole season though even if it was only one game at the very start of the season!)

While I think it is a good idea to have it in there, I think that it should be used sparingly, for only the very poor results. So yes, losing to or drawing against opposition from a league higher than you should NEVER come into play here. Only if you're say top of the Championship, came down from prem last year, and team who went up and are now bottom of the Prem hammer you 6-0 away in the cup. THEN, yeh, that's out of order and they should moan. As is known, it's clearly a bug when you lose 2-1 away to United when in League 1, and play well, but the board treat you like you just killed your whole family.

And to add to that, it shouldn't be that there always has to be a negative, because then the game has to come up with something, no matter how petty. SI have tied their hands by doing it like that, and created the bug (or made it worse). If it was only used when they had a genuine issue, they wouldn't have to find your worst result (which may have been a close away defeat away to higher opposition, and a good performance).

Plus, just get rid of supporter confidence...when does real managers ever get a report after every game and signing telling him what the fans think? Maybe if he read message boards etc, but otherwise, it's unrealistic and very annoying. Youth players caller an aberration because they come off the bench in one or two games and don't set the world alight.

LSF07 - You're so right about the aberration thing. That is a pretty extreme description, and to assign it to young players who've just joined the club and may well not see first team action for a number of years is, frankly, nuts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

My Man. United board are currently in uproar because my youngsters were just knocked out of the League Cup by a full-strength Arsenal side.

This comes off the back of board room panic over the unacceptable draw my youngsters got at Antwerp in a pre-season friendly.

My point? Board confidence is reminiscent of a bag full of steaming poops at the moment, only more annoying.

I firmly believe it will be fixed for FM09. I just can't imagine that SI won't sort this out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why play your youngsters? I always play my first team even in friendlies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Premiership:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

I firmly believe it will be fixed for FM09. I just can't imagine that SI won't sort this out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why play your youngsters? I always play my first team even in friendlies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spread the love. I tend to try to have an easy game, followed by a tougher one, followed...you get it. Play starting 11 against the harder sides, then 2nd string (maybe including one or 2 youngsters) against the easier sides.

Gives youngsters some game time with the first teamers, so you can see how they might perform, and they will do them the world of good playin with the older lads.

I love the board confidence. With Kettering I am expected to enjoy the experience of the league cup and the johnstone's paint trophy. Having been knocked out of the league cup in the first round the board are delighted that we enjoyed the experience. The minimum expectation of the FA cup is to reach the first round, which we are guarenteed to do as we start in the first round!

Wait until you get higher in the league and are expected to win the Champions League when you're not even in it, and get sacked for not winning.

Of course I jest in an OTT way, but it makes my point lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Premiership:

Why play your youngsters? I always play my first team even in friendlies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why I play them is hardly relevant to the problem at hand. If you're going to ask that question, though, you may as well ask Sir Alex who does exactly the same thing in the annual Antwerp friendly and usually in the League Cup too.

I'll answer your question, though. I manage the whole club, not just the first team. So I see the Antwerp friendly as an ideal opportunity to look at my youngsters. As for the League Cup, I need to keep my first-teamers fresh somehow.

I should point out that when I say I manage the whole club, I don't mean I literally take charge of my reserves and under-18s. I just mean that I see my job as manager as being more than just first team coach. Therefore I feel I need to take opportunities, such as the Antwerp friendly, to see my youngsters in action.

Friendlies shouldn't play any part in board/fan confidence anyway. People use friendlies for a whole host of different things and rarely does the result actually matter. I often arrange some money-spinning home ties against big clubs which I fully expect we might lose, also I often arrange a tour of the Faroe Islands just before the season starts to give my players some shooting practice and get confidence up. It worked quite well mid-season in Germany too - I organised 6 home friendlies against German clubs which we won all of and then a 4-game tour of the Faroe Islands, the last two of which we won 16-0. That should not have any bearing on what the fans think though - 10 straight wins in mid-season friendlies shouldn't get them excited and nor should 10 straight defeats pre-season while you try out novel tactics or youngsters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Friendlies shouldn't play any part in board/fan confidence anyway. People use friendlies for a whole host of different things and rarely does the result actually matter. I often arrange some money-spinning home ties against big clubs which I fully expect we might lose, also I often arrange a tour of the Faroe Islands just before the season starts to give my players some shooting practice and get confidence up. It worked quite well mid-season in Germany too - I organised 6 home friendlies against German clubs which we won all of and then a 4-game tour of the Faroe Islands, the last two of which we won 16-0. That should not have any bearing on what the fans think though - 10 straight wins in mid-season friendlies shouldn't get them excited and nor should 10 straight defeats pre-season while you try out novel tactics or youngsters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I could imagine that ten straight wins might get the fans a little excited or ten straight defeats might worry them a little. But you're right. There should be little bearing placed on friendlies.

Similarly, there needs to be far more variation in terms of expectations in cups. Obviously big clubs' boards will expect success. But I doubt they make a big song and dance about being knocked out of the League Cup, and they would usually understand if a weakened team was fielded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

It's very, very well documented. I think of it as the "new shots-to-goal ratio".

Beyond a degree of catharsis for the poster, I'm not sure how yet another post will help them fix it. FM09 is already in the bag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. So let's hope it's been fixed!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Beyond a degree of catharsis for the poster, I'm not sure how yet another post will help them fix it. FM09 is already in the bag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologise profusely to you, and I won’t do it again.

Consider my bum well and truly smacked! icon_wink.gif

(P.S. I thought it might give some people a little chuckle like it did me, is all...)

People have reported ridiculous sackings, but my experience so far is that it is just more realistic than previously in that in real life managers get sacked regularly. You won't get sacked just because your fans are unhappy about the result of one game or even one competition, it's all cumulative just like it always has been, it's just a bit more tetchy now.

One new addition is that the board may choose not to offer you a new contract which has been reported to occur in situations where the manager has apparently done very well.

My only experience of being sacked so far is at Sampdoria where, after finishing 10th first season, we were struggling around the relegation places 10 or so games into the new season. I was confident I would turn things around, but the board weren't. Harsh, but true to real life I guess. At Fiorentina, when offered a new contract towards the end of my first season I specifically asked for a 4 year contract to avoid any issues of the board deciding not to offer me a new one for silly reasons after 2 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Little Miss Tootsie:

With all these thing about the board being "over the top" that I've read here today, does it mean that they will sack you for a silly reason?

I'm just about to embark on my first ever career in FM and don't want to have it spoilt by a "Bug"?

I've got the update 8.0.2 for my game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends who you go, and what expectations they have. One tip, if I were you, when asked about your expectations for the season to get a budget, don't go over the top, because you will be held to that.

LSF07 - a few people have said that today, about being careful who you pick.

Someone told me to pick a Lower league club with no real pressure, but I looked at some of them and they have really rubbish players and no money at all.

I want to at least spend something!!! (Girls icon_smile.gif)

Is there a team with some money to spend but not really big demands from the board to win everything like i was told with Liverpool?

Is there any "Middle of the road" teams that are worth playing? (Is that the right term?)

Again, I'm sorry to keep asking questions but Im sort of lost.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Little Miss Tootsie:

Someone told me to pick a Lower league club with no real pressure, but I looked at some of them and they have really rubbish players and no money at all.

Is there a team with some money to spend but not really big demands from the board to win everything like i was told with Liverpool?

Is there any "Middle of the road" teams that are worth playing? (Is that the right term?)

Again, I'm sorry to keep asking questions but Im sort of lost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need to apologise. You want help. Most people round here are happy to give it. Oh, and don't apologise for apologising either!

You may be best off starting with a Championship club, although I don't really know what each of their expectations are. It's a hugely competitive league and the players are at a good enough level. Again I don't know which clubs have lots of money to spend though - in general that is linked to expectations. If you can find a club with some players you can sell that'd be best I guess icon_wink.gif

Again, I'm sorry to keep asking questions but Im sort of lost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are new to the game, then you MAY be well served going a huge team with lots of money to kind of break into the game. I sometimes used to always go my team *(United) on each new game first, so I could used to it, how to play etc, and it be easy. Then I'd vary it a bit, and go a middle of the road, or a non-league side.

If you did this, you may not be guaranteed instant success because you are still learning the game, so you may just play a season or two, or maybe not even a whole season, just use it as a way to train yourself how to play.

I am currently Nottingham Forest, and while the board expected me to win League 1 and settle into a comfortable position in the Championship within my 3 year contract, so big expectations, for the league they are in, they have a good squad, and one or two good/clever signings here or there, and you're good to go.

Or as has been said, go in the Championship, and go one of the big sides; Ipswich, Sheff United, West Brom, Watford etc. Should have some money to spend, and while you may be expected to do well and maybe ever go up, you have the squad to do so.

OR, if you wanna go a bigger side, with money, but not as such expectations, then think about the Premiership as it is. Portsmouth have a good squad, and I think I heard decent money to. I'm sure Everton and Villa are good sides to go, with good players, maybe a little money (Villa anyway), and you can compete, plus a few good signings, you'll be good.

Someone like Tottenham and Newcastle are supposed sleeping giants, probably with pots of cash and a decent squad, but you may find that after a year or so, they are expecting Champions League football, and if you do well, maybe even to challenge for the title.

Hope this helps you out a bit?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">days I thought, after you see so many posts on here of people gaining promotion and getting 'satisfied' etc, something which has caused me to resign in the past versions of the game out of principle. Then came the laughs;

"Despite the positives, Nottm Forest's English FA Cup Sixth Round 3-3 draw with Portsmouth cannot be ignored." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems that with every confidence update the board has to have one positive and one negative.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5211026...622014183#5622014183

I don't know if that link has worked, it's the first time I've tried to copy one.

I, also, hope they're working on this for FM9, but the head honcho has already stated he doesn't see any problems with this, which I find amazing.

I'd urge anyone with any evidence of board idiocy to post it on the bugs forum, or the complacent attitude will continue.

If it doesn't lead to the sack you might argue it's something you can just ignore, but it's a major irritation to most of us and I'm of the view if it's too complicated to factor in sufficient variables to get sensible board/fan feedback then the whole thing should be binned.

The mere fact you are "expected" to get to a certain round of cup competitions with no compensating factors built in regarding, for example, drawing the strongest team away in the first round, an injury crisis etc, I just find plain stupid. An indication that they didn't bother thinking it through as it is a comparitively "cosmetic" feature.

Cosmetic or not, if it's too difficult to get right, don't include it in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cosmetic or not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where people actually get sacked due to this 'bug', it's absolutely not cosmetic. I'd say it's the number one priority to fix in 09.

Archived