The 'Gang of Four' challenge

To introduce this challenge, I have 'borrowed' some ideas from JoseRR's 'FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge' introduction. This is my first challenge and his seemed to be a good opening post that I could adapt for my own. Thanks JoseRR, hope you don't mind too much!

THE CHALLENGE - INTRODUCTION

In this challenge, you will need to manage four different clubs over a period of five years. You will control four managers at four different clubs at four different levels of the English league. It will be up to you to make links between the four different clubs/managers - you do control them after all - to achieve the maximum success you can with each club.

THE AIM

Link between the four clubs and managers in different ways to maximise the success of each of the four clubs. Depending on the success achieved, you will be able to earn points as shown in the scoring information below. The links could include:

• Loaning players between the clubs;
  • Selling players cheaply from one club to another;
  • Buying players at 'inflated' prices to boost the bank balance of one of the other clubs;
  • Playing friendlies;
  • Praising managers and players;
  • It could even include 'throwing' of league and/or cup games (similar to the way F1 teams allow their team-mates to 'pass' them when the points are needed)

SETTING UP THE GAME

- You can use any patch version of FM09 although 9.3 would be best.

- Start a new game in England with at least the four football leagues loaded. You can use the Blue Square leagues should you wish to.

- You may load players from other countries should you wish.

- Database should be large although a smaller one can be used if necessary.

- Attribute masking does not need to be enabled.

SCORING SYSTEM

Starting Premiership team

- Winning the Premiership title: 10 points

- Winning the FA Cup: 5 points

- Winning the League Cup: 5 points

- Winning the UEFA Cup/Europa League: 10 points

- Winning the Champions League: 20 points

Starting Championship team

- Promotion to the Premiership: 10 points (20 as champions)

- Winning the Premiership title: 30 points

- Winning the FA Cup: 10 points

- Winning the League Cup: 10 points

- Winning the UEFA Cup/Europa League: 25 points

- Winning the Champions League: 50 points

Starting League 1 team

- Promotion to the Championship: 10 points (20 as champions)

- Promotion to the Premiership: 30 points (40 points as champions)

- Winning the Premiership title: 50 points

- Winning the FA Cup: 15 points

- Winning the League Cup: 15 points

- Winning the Johnstones Paint Trophy: 5 points

- Winning the UEFA Cup/Europe League: 50 points

- Winning the Champions League: 100 points

Starting League 2 team

- Promotion to League 1: 10 points (20 as champions)

- Promotion to the Championship: 30 points (40 as champions)

- Promotion to the Premiership: 50 points (60 as champions)

- Winning the Premiership title: 70 points

- Winning the FA Cup: 20 points

- Winning the League Cup: 20 points

- Winning the Johnstones Paint Trophy: 10 points

- Winning the UEFA Cup/Europe League: 125 points

- Winning the Champions League: 250 points

RULES FOR PLAYING

Once the game is started, set up four managers at four teams: one from the Premiership, one from the Championship, one from League 1 and one from League 2. The past experiences of the managers must be set at:

- Premiership: International Footballer

- Championship: Professional Footballer

- League 1: Part-Time Footballer

- League 2: Sunday League Footballer

If one of your managers is sacked, you can continue the game with the rest of your teams although this will obviously limit the number of points that you can achieve. There are no rules regarding parent and feeder clubs - the four clubs will unofficially be feeder/parent clubs to each other anyway! All external utilities and editors are banned.

RULES FOR POSTING

- Player naming is allowed (consider this a warning for those who don't wish to see it!)

- Discussion about tactics is allowed (again, consider this a warning!)

- Screenshots are encouraged (see below for details on how to add them) and are necessary in order to score points.

- Please post a managerial profile for each manager when you start.

- Please post screenshots (matches, league tables etc ... ) to prove points have been scored with the date clearly shown. Any matches or league tables showing details after June 2013 (gametime) will not be considered for points.

- Keep us up to date with progress of all four teams/managers whether it is good or bad. Include details about the links you have made however 'wrong' they may be - that is the point of the challenge!

- After each season, post a summary of the season (a season review) about all clubs and managers.

- I will post a points scoring table in the second post of this thread and update it regularly.

HOW TO POST A SCREENSHOT

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image.
  • Save the file as a JPEG.
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack.
  • Post the direct URL to the image here.

FINALLY ...

I'd like to wish everyone good luck and I hope this opening post generates lots of interest. I will get on with the challenge in the next day or so (Manchester City, Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town and Chesterfield I think!) and post my first screenshots.

I hope the rules are clear - any questions, please feel free to ask!

CHALLENGE POINTS TABLE

Greasy Chip Butty (Season 1 - Manchester United, Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Chesterfield) - 0 points

No achievements yet

m1234566778 (Season 1 - Manchester City, Cardiff City, Leicester City, Shrewsbury Town) - 0 points

No achievements yet - not sure how he'll be able to prove it

oldhammad (Season 1 - Arsenal, QPR, Oldham Athletic, Rochdale) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Almondo (Season 1 - Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester City, Port Vale) - 0 points

No achievements yet

jimmyriddle (Season 1 - Manchester United, Wolves, Huddersfield Town, Wycombe Wanderers) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Hammy1301 (Season 1 - Tottenham Hotspur, Birmingham City, Carlisle United, Port Vale) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Conners (Season 1 - Manchester United, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Accrington Stanley) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Ethan13 (Season 1 - Liverpool, Wolves, Leeds United, Gillingham) - 0 points

No achievements yet

JackR24 (Season 1 - Manchester United, Birmingham City, Leeds United, Bury) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Ethan13 (Season 1 - Manchester City, Wolves, Leicester City, Bradford City) - 0 points

No achievements yet

Man City are the obvious choice as you can pump money into the three other clubs with their cash which will then, make it easier for you.
Man United could be a good one as you could send some very good young players on loan

Yeah, your choice of clubs could be a big factor so choose carefully. It obviously depends on the way you want to go. Man City would be the financial choice, Arsenal and Manchester United would be useful from a loaning youngsters point of view. But I guess you also run the risk of not enough of them wanting to drop divisions on loan so you may decide to plump for other Premiership teams.

The Championship clubs will be interesting. I chose SUFC for obvious reasons (my handle should give it away) but I can think of 'better' options. Southampton's academy produces excellent youngsters who could really help a League 1/2 team early. But they might lack the ability as a squad to reach the Premiership quickly.

Here are my manager profiles:

Decided to use Manchester United rather than City. The finances would be good BUT I'd have to build a title winning team and Champions League contender whereas Manchester United should be in contention immediately so my attention can be focused on the other teams: Sheffield United of the Championship (the greatest team in the world), Huddersfield Town of League 1 and Chesterfield, or Chez Vegas, of League 2.

Hercule Poirot is the new manager of Manchester United replacing Sir Alex Ferguson. He brings a wealth of experience from his international days in the 60's and 70's with Belgium where he was affectionately known as 'Egghead.' Despite a promising detective career after he finished playing, he was tempted to take over as manager at his boyhood club, Anderlecht, where successes have led him to the managerial position of one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Hercule Poirot - Manchester United

Andrew Morton becomes the new manager of his boyhood heroes, Sheffield United. After playing professionally for numerous clubs in Yorkshire, he became a coach at the Blades and has now progressed through the ranks to become the manager replacing Kevin Blackwell. He will be desperate to establish the Blades as a force in English football one way or another.

Andrew Morton - Sheffield United

Forrest Gump, an American dimwit, has been appointed the new manager of League 1 Huddersfield Town in a surprise appointment to replace Lee Clark. The media will speculate that Gump, from Green Bay with part-time experiences of football back in the U.S, will quickly mess up the club.

Forrest Gump - Huddersfield Town

Adrian Mole, more famous for his diaries, has been appointed the new manager of Chesterfield replacing the unpopular Lee Richardson. It remains to be seen what the Spireites fans will think of his replacement though. Having played only Sunday League football in the Leicester Alliance League - usually as a substitute - Mole is trying his hand at a new career in football management having failed with numerous other career moves. The official Spireites website will include 'The Blog of Adrian Mole' weekly.

Adrian Mole - Chesterfield

So there you have my four managers. Anybody else going to join the challenge?

m1234566778 - can we see some manager profiles?

Easiest way to post screenies is to copy them to a cd or flash drive or something similar and then up load them. Progress is kinda pointless if you can't show the pictures to back it up.

This looks like an interesting challenge, if I was going to do it would want to pick four clubs close together. Not sure which ones, but are there a set of four clubs with one at each level close together ion England?

Easiest way to post screenies is to copy them to a cd or flash drive or something similar and then up load them. Progress is kinda pointless if you can't show the pictures to back it up.

This looks like an interesting challenge, if I was going to do it would want to pick four clubs close together. Not sure which ones, but are there a set of four clubs with one at each level close together ion England?

Do you mean geographically?

If so, then my four with Hull instead of Manchester United would fit.

And you could use Sunderland, Newcastle, Hartlepool and Darlington. Oh no, not quite yet. In FM10!

Have been playing pre-season this evening. I set up a friendly competition between the four clubs: the results were interesting (home and away games against each other). Huddersfield won it! Unbeaten! Beat both United's at the Galpharm and drew with both away.

I'll get cracking with the season tomorrow.

btw as a Huddersfeild fan i kinda like Forrest Gump as a manager but i wouldnt have him replacing Lee Clark

LOL! Forrest Gump might be good - he'd certainly keep it simple. Couldn't comment on Clark as I don't know much about him as manager. Have Huddersfield picked up since he took charge? Late play off run? Or just making sure of League 1 survival?

Always had a soft spot for Hudders' as I went to uni there. Hate the Galpharm (McAlpine) though. Never seen the Blades win there until this season in the cup (and even then, we played dreadful!)

hes a good manager we've lost about 3 games and 2 ov them were last minute goals so he aint done that bad, and he is really committed and he sure wants to take the club forward and is going for a big promotion push next season :D

I think I'll give this a go.

Premier League

Arsenal -due to good young players.

Championship

QPR - lots of money, lots of potential.

League One

Oldham - my name tells the story.

League Two

Rochdale - good team, near to Oldham, will be interesting between the rivals.

Good idea (Y)

Greasy: Keep your eye open for Lee Novak when he returns from Loan at Huddersfield his stats are pretty decent

Have noticed him out on loan. Looks interesting.

There's a couple of youngsters in the youth team too - not great current ability but the assistant rates them highly for the future.

Welcome to the challenge OLDHAMMAD! Good luck. I can understand the choices you've made - QPR and Arsenal should be useful for helping out Oldham and Rochdale respectively.

Arsenal have been taken over by mystery man but former Mexican footballer Zorro after Arsene Wenger left the club, claiming his nose had become radically enlarged after looking down it to see all his tiny youth players. Zorro came into the club with a sword by his side before swiping a large Z into the club door. How bizzare.

Meanwhile, in the Championship, Bjorge Lillelien Jr, son of that infamous commentator, has taken hold of QPR, where he entered the building screaming: Lord Treisman, you're going to take one hell of a beating!

In League One, ex-Prime Minister Tony Blair took over as Oldham manager, claiming he wanted a new experience in life. Hopefully he won't wreck the club as he did the country. His first action? To send his army (fans) into Rochdale and launch raids there.

Speaking of Rochdale, they have hired A. ****. Yes, last name ****, first of Anton. Must have been a bit of a pain to grow up with. Anyway, he'll be wanting to fight off the masses (meaning 2) of Oldham fans by using his quick thinking wit. But will his actions symbolise his name?

Arsenal have been taken over by mystery man but former Mexican footballer Zorro after Arsene Wenger left the club, claiming his nose had become radically enlarged after looking down it to see all his tiny youth players. Zorro came into the club with a sword by his side before swiping a large Z into the club door. How bizzare.

Meanwhile, in the Championship, Bjorge Lillelien Jr, son of that infamous commentator, has taken hold of QPR, where he entered the building screaming: Lord Treisman, you're going to take one hell of a beating!

In League One, ex-Prime Minister Tony Blair took over as Oldham manager, claiming he wanted a new experience in life. Hopefully he won't wreck the club as he did the country. His first action? To send his army (fans) into Rochdale and launch raids there.

Speaking of Rochdale, they have hired A. ****. Yes, last name ****, first of Anton. Must have been a bit of a pain to grow up with. Anyway, he'll be wanting to fight off the masses (meaning 2) of Oldham fans by using his quick thinking wit. But will his actions symbolise his name?

LMAO! Priceless!

How long before Blair decides to sign players from the MLS?

In an interesting appointment to replace Guus Hiddink who has decided to go back to managing Russia chelsea have appointed Arnold J. Rimmer as their new manager. Not much is known about Rimmer except for the fact that he is the worlds buggest Smeg Head.

Wolves have appointed Dwayne Dibley as the replacement for Mick Mccarthy who resigned in Mysterious circumstances. Dibley is the alter ego of the much cooler Cat on board the mining ship Red Dwarf.

Leicester City have appointed unknown american Homer J. Simpson as the new manager after it was decided that Nigel Pearson was not the an for them.

In what has been seen as the biggest joke ever to have been conceived in professional football Port Vale have appointed Graham Poll as the new manager. Poll of course is remembered as the referee who gave a player 3 yellow cards in a world cup match during WC 2006.

Greasy, will start this as soon as my fm09 pc gets fixed lol which will hopefully be tomorrow

i will probably start with:

Prem: Man United (as they are the team i have supported for many a year)

Championship: not sure yet lol

League 1: Huddersfield (the team i also support)

League 2: Brentford (the team my dad supports and have done very well this season in CCL2)

In an interesting appointment to replace Guus Hiddink who has decided to go back to managing Russia chelsea have appointed Arnold J. Rimmer as their new manager. Not much is known about Rimmer except for the fact that he is the worlds buggest Smeg Head.

Wolves have appointed Dwayne Dibley as the replacement for Mick Mccarthy who resigned in Mysterious circumstances. Dibley is the alter ego of the much cooler Cat on board the mining ship Red Dwarf.

Leicester City have appointed unknown american Homer J. Simpson as the new manager after it was decided that Nigel Pearson was not the an for them.

In what has been seen as the biggest joke ever to have been conceived in professional football Port Vale have appointed Graham Poll as the new manager. Poll of course is remembered as the referee who gave a player 3 yellow cards in a world cup match during WC 2006.

Good luck Almondo! Loving the Red Dwarf managers!

If the going gets tough at Stamford Bridge, will the players follow the Rimmer shaped blur?

And will Wolves play the stylish football we'd expect from the Cat or will Dwayne have them playing the complete opposite? And will little fishies be on the matchday menu?

Greasy, will start this as soon as my fm09 pc gets fixed lol which will hopefully be tomorrow

i will probably start with:

Prem: Man United (as they are the team i have supported for many a year)

Championship: not sure yet lol

League 1: Huddersfield (the team i also support)

League 2: Brentford (the team my dad supports and have done very well this season in CCL2)

Would you like some suggestions for a Championship club?

Reading would probably be a good shout for the quality they will have. If you're looking for an immediate promotion from the Championship, they'll be the best bet.

Like I said above, Southampton would be useful for the youngsters for your L1 and L2 sides. However, the finances would be an issue to deal with. And the youngsters may quickly be needed in the Saints side.

QPR are the obvious financial option. Would probably need some work for a quick promotion though. Not sure about their academy and youngsters.

Would you like some suggestions for a Championship club?

Reading would probably be a good shout for the quality they will have. If you're looking for an immediate promotion from the Championship, they'll be the best bet.

Like I said above, Southampton would be useful for the youngsters for your L1 and L2 sides. However, the finances would be an issue to deal with. And the youngsters may quickly be needed in the Saints side.

QPR are the obvious financial option. Would probably need some work for a quick promotion though. Not sure about their academy and youngsters.

lol i was thinking reading becuase they seema decent club but i was also thinking of QPR because of their money lol its a hard choice :rolleyes:

Good luck Almondo! Loving the Red Dwarf managers!

If the going gets tough at Stamford Bridge, will the players follow the Rimmer shaped blur?

And will Wolves play the stylish football we'd expect from the Cat or will Dwayne have them playing the complete opposite? And will little fishies be on the matchday menu?

Loving the fact that someone else realised about Red Dwarf Managers.:thup: I did think about using Lister and Kryten as the other two managers.

Anyway I think the Players at chelsea will jump ship quicker than the rimmer shaped blur

Prem

Replacing Sir Alex Ferguson is Former United Player and all-round mental patient Roy Keane. Roy Keane will be a big lift for the players and is hoping to do a better job than what Shearer is about to do with Newcastle United. And is hoping to take Man United to glory once again.

Championship

Replacing Paulo Sousa is a surprise in the name of Peter Griffin, Peter Griffin is now a big favourite since they found out he played for The New England Patriots which are very decent American Football side. Griffin is hopefully going to take QPR into greater things.

League 1

The shock decision to replace Lee Clark before he has even done anything with very unkown manager James Ashmead who spends a lot of time playing as Huddersfield on FM09, a very popular game with many people around the world. Even though he's only young Ashmead hopes to bring a new generation of Football to the Galpharm

League 2

Replacing Andy Scott at Griffin Park is James Ashmead's Dad, Mike Ashmead who again is very unknown and he has never had anything to do with Professional Football, he doesn't even play FM09. But just like his son hopes to bring a new generation of football to Griffin Park

His son added into this: "Griffin Park, Home of Chelsea Reserves"

Requested a Feeder Club for United and also Requested Parent at HTAFC and have got a link between these 2 clubs which will help financially so thsi is good :D

I thought about doing that and decided against it. Due to the control of myself, it'll virtually be an unofficial parent/feeder club relationship anyway. As for the financial aspect, that could be sorted in different ways as well.

I'd be tempted to try and find my smaller teams other clubs (out of my control) to be linked with in order to widen my range of players for loan.

Kryten as Port Vale manager could have been interesting - not sure how the Potteries would have reacted to him.

Lister and Leicester - sounds a match made in heaven. What are Leicester's curry houses like?

You looking forward to watching Dave next weekend?

Oh Hell yeah not even FM is going to distract me from those new eps. Leicester's curry houses probably wouldn't cope with listers demand

After alex fergusons shock retirement malcolm glazer decided that he was the only man to take united forward. Glazer was a successful player in the mls and internationally, gaining 50 caps and scoring 7 times

David unsworth, the man who's penalty relegated sheffield united, comes back to his favourite club to try and bring them back to the promised land

Kaiser Cheifs frontman Ricky Wilson taks over at leeds. Wilson finds time in betwewen gigs and albums to have a kick around with his band mates

Unknown manager sirus lannock will manage accrington stanley. The closest he has got to a football game is a rather disastorous sunday league career. When asked why he was taking over the reigns at accrington he replied " i have a soft spot for them"

This challenge looks good so I thought I would give it a go. I have never done one before.

Former Liverpool Legend, Ian Rush has taken over as manager at the club after Rafa Benitez shock decision to return to Spain. Rush will be looking to be the Premiership back to Anfield.

Homer Simpson has been appointed as manager of Championship side Wolves. Wolves are predicted to go up this year but with a new manager anything can happen.

Former Australian Cricket player Ricky Ponting has been appointed as the manager of League 1 side, Leeds United. Leeds a former top flight English Club will be looking to restore it's glory days of old under Ricky.

Unknown Manager Ethan ????? has taken over at Gillingham. He was previously a Sunday League Footballer.

Liverpool (Ian Rush)

Wolves (Homer Simpson)

Leeds (Ricky Ponting)

Gillingham (Ethan ?????)

Archived