Took over a job half way through the season and end up fired?

I took up the job as cardiff manager half way through the season, previously they had the aim of uefa cup qualification however this was clearly unrealistic and as I took up the role half way through the season when they were bottom they couldn't possibly expect me to finish 6th could they ? Well indeed they did, I managed to finish 16th and was promptly dismissed for a poor league showing!

Any reason why I should be expected to get them from 20th to 6th in 19 games?

That is definitely a kick in the nuts and a pretty unrealistic one.

As you have suggested, maybe the game cannot distinguish you from any other human player - dumbass game! ;)

Although, I took over from a mate on a network game (just to wind him up a bit) and the club did amend their expectations. I was duly relegated, but they were only asking for survival rather than midtable (as they said to my mate)

I had a similar thing happen to me... I like to load the British and Irish leagues and start my game in Janurary and take over a team struggling in the Prem...

I took over West Ham, who had 12 points. Went unbeaten at home for the rest of the season, only lost 3 away... stayed up comfortably climbing 8 positions in doing so...

Yet the board are still unhappy with the league position. I think the fault lies with them keeping their start of season expectations, even after a change of manager...

Same thing happened to me, took over Newcastle United IRL with 8 games to go and they expected to survive relegation haha! Half of the last 8 games were against the top 5 sides so i didn't manage to save them and ended up being sacked! =\

Very interesting point there actually.

Maybe boards should revise their expectations, say, halfway into the season, depending on performances.

Like maybe Hull, tipped for relegation, but due to good form the board may say, aim for Europe. Or the other way around.

It's hit and miss really. I took over as Stirling Albion boss half way through a season. Expectation was promotion and media prediction was 1st but they were 7th. We ended up 8th and i had a worse record than the previous manager but they kept me for the following year.

This has happened to me before a couple of times before once in FM2008 and FM2009 so I have just not bothered applying for jobs for teams who are at the bottom but are expected to be near the top. Have also seen AI managers sacked after half a year even though they have transformed teams at the bottom to mid-table safety.

Archived