making retiring players into coaches...

a player is planning on retiring and says he definitely wants to become a coach, but i can't actually get him to be a coach, as in offer him a contract etc

i know i've managed to do it before, but i can't remember

any tips?

cheers

yeah, its silly that you can't even offer him a coaching contract once he's decided to quit as a player. i think you need to wait until he has a coaching stats page before he announces his retirement. once he leaves the club (if you can't offer a coaching contract), sign him then.

you can try to convince him to play on for another season then offer him a coaching deal, i did this with maldini in fm07.

I think I was eventually able to offer Thomas Linke a coaching contract, might have been the last week of his contract, before he retired.

Perhaps it makes a difference that the players contract is running out and they are retiring at the end of it, rather than them retiring mid contract.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

It isn't a major issue wither way, when he retires just offer him a coaches contract, he'll only have left the club a few days.

Nah but how do you "convert" him into a coach, is there a way to influence his decision into becoming a coach enabling you to see his coaching stats, or is that random? As in Robbie says "seriously considering..." yet there is of yet no coaching stats avaliable, I'd like for him to become coach at my club, although there is no option as of yet. What I'm asking is, how can I influence his decision to become a coach, if there is a way at all.

If the player has "seriously considering...", click player interaction and it gives you the option to release a press statement saying you think he would makle a good coach. After the PR is made the player will comment back e.g. wants to concentrate on playing at this stage of his career etc.

Archived