I am absolutely disgusted at what has just happened!

In a new game as Ath Madrid, first game away to Barca, was not expecting anything great from game as I have made a few signings.

As the game goes on its clear that the OI I have set are causing them problems and im playing well, I go 1-0 down because of a mistake, which is fair enough, Aguero gets me an equalizer and it looks like im going to get at least a point with 30 mins left.

What happens next totally blew me away. Barca put Puyol up front in a 4-4-2 formation and he scores a 20 yarder from the corner of the box into top corner with still at least 25 mins left, that obviously left me slightly miffed, I then equalize again but 2 mins into 1 minute of injury time they hoof the ball forward it falls superbly into the on-rushing striker and he takes it past 2 men and then the keeper before roling it into the net. Unbelievably it was Abidal, so I look at the their formation and he is the middle of three strikers.

So to conclude 2 goals were scored by players with finishing of 8 and they were goals that any world class striker would of been proud of.

Im not a complainer by the way its just when I set my tactics to frustrate Barca and it works so well but the AI decides to do something that clearly would never happen at the Camp Nou it really leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Rant over!

Sucks. But...finishing is only one part of the story. What about composure, technique, etc? Sure, the Puyol goal sounds like it was out of the top drawer, but occasionally defenders can do that. I remember Tony Adams scoring one against Everton back in 1998 that was as cool a finish as you could wish for from any striker.

Then (and I hate to say this) there's your tactical set-up. Puyol could have been put on a 'switch positions' setting (in theory at least), so man-marking their strikers would mean your CB was drawn out of position. If marking zonally, did he out-muscle your defender?

Sounds like he got lucky by chancing his arm, and you were unlucky. As for saying it would never happen...how do you know? It would depend on circumstances and if a manager thought there might be some advantage to be had from it, he'd at least give it a try - though I'd agree that it'd probably be a last throw of the dice when losing, rather than something to try with the scores level.

It's your tactics...............this is the response most people will give you but i can empathise with you. I've lost count how many times this happens. Of course the AI are going to push on and try and get something out of the game, i wouldn't expect any less, they're at home and they're barca so their fans will demand a win. It's inevitable they're going to try and get the win, but the problem that i find with these consistently amazing AI comebacks is the fact that the AI can, everytime, deploy the perfect tactic, spot on and the get the goal and result because they 'need' to. Yet when the boot is on the other foot, you can in no way, shape or form replicate what the AI do and make a comeback (very rarely anyway). In no way am i saying there's a conspiracy or anything stupid like that, but IMO these kind of comebacks, via churchillesque HT teamtalks, happen far too often. In cases like yours though i can somewhat understand how they came back (albeit two screamers from players with poor shooting skills). They're barca and they have world class players and a world class manager. My problem is when lower league managers have the same intuition as SAF or Mourinho and can replicate their managerial skill in the lower leagues where these occurences happen too often. IMO, i can understand Guardiola inspiring his Barca team at the Nou Camp to make a comeback against you, but for Paul Doswell at Sutton Utd to replicate the same thing everytime is bit too much.

Puyol has done the same thing to me. I was Real Sociedad and I was drawing 1-1 at home in the last minute of injury time he runs with the ball from the half way line and screams one in to the top corner from 30 yards. I was devestated.

Well, I did say I hated to say anything about tactics, but it could be (not saying definitely was) a factor.

Have to agree with Raware as well about the intuition/motivational skills of certain lower-league AI bosses. Only once have I had a blistering response, and that was in a friendly. Responses in league matches tend to be muted at best.

On another tactical note, I've done away with players on attacking/defensive mentality. All are default (centre line) now, because it seemed that there was a flaw in the way these were executed rather than it being an 'attack when you can/hang back as much as possible' representation. Making the settings less harsh (were only three or fours clicks from centre anyway) did nothing much, so I binned the whole thing and the team has seemed to have much better balance since.

In a new game as Ath Madrid, first game away to Barca, was not expecting anything great from game as I have made a few signings.

As the game goes on its clear that the OI I have set are causing them problems and im playing well, I go 1-0 down because of a mistake, which is fair enough, Aguero gets me an equalizer and it looks like im going to get at least a point with 30 mins left.

What happens next totally blew me away. Barca put Puyol up front in a 4-4-2 formation and he scores a 20 yarder from the corner of the box into top corner, that obviously left me slightly miffed, I then equalize again but 2 mins into 1 minute of injury time they hoof the ball forward it falls superbly into the on-rushing striker and he takes it past 2 men and then the keeper before roling it into the net. Unbelievably it was Abidal, so I look at the their formation and he is the middle of three strikers.

So to conclude 2 goals were scored by players with finishing of 8 and they were goals that any world class striker would of been proud of.

Im not a complainer by the way its just when I set my tactics to frustrate Barca and it works so well but the AI decides to do something that clearly would never happen at the Camp Nou it really leaves with a bad taste in my mouth.

Rant over!

There are many reasons why this could of happened, luck, your tactics, their tactics.

If I'm struggling to win headers up front I often throw a big DC up there as a target man, and occasionally he will get it down to his feet and have a pop at goal.

How often does Fergie send Vidic or Ferdinand up front for the last 5 minutes when they are losing a game? Quite often.

When Liverpool needed a goal against Middlesbrough early this season it was Carragher with a cracker from outside the box that drew them level.

My point is, it happens. Get over it.

Answer me this, when was the last time Barca put Puyol up front when they are drawing even if its at home, apart from maybe the last couple of mins if they use a long ball but not after an 70 mins, it simply would never happen. The same goes for Abidal im afraid even in injury time Barca would not be playing him as a central striker of three, never never never.

I dont get the people who are saying its my tactics, my tactics have nothing to do with it.

If I was Arsene Wenger and I had been man-marking Rooney for 70 mins would Alex Ferguson put Patrice Evra up front to compensate? of course he wouldn't.

Surely Barca have more options with world class strikers and attacking midfielders without having to put full backs and centre backs up front when they are level.

I once(as Atletico Madrid), beat Real Madrid with a last minute goal from Pichu Atienza, after dribbling 2 defenders, I didn't put him up front, but I had both strikers switching positions and when Aguero got sent off, I put Atienza on the defense, although I put switching on both players to none, it still switched Robinho to the defense and Atienza as a striker... Bug? I wasn't all that mad it switched because he scored though. :p

Hell i beat Barcelona at home as Rangers in the CL group stages last night (2008/09 season of my new save).

3-2.

And that was after they equalized and had 30+ shots on target only for me to get a penalty in the last 20 minutes.

Now that would have been annoying if i was the Barca manager... but i wasnt so LOLS.

Yea, in all fairness this does happen in real life, sometimes a defender (im thinking nigel winterburn v chelsea sometime in the 90's) score absolute belters...just unlucky that it happened twice in one match to you!

as for the tactics, i never noticed the AI do that, ill keep an eye on it now though!

The point I was making was not that I was annoyed that two defenders scored against me, clearly this happens all the time, if everyone had taken the time to read the OP you might actually get what I was annoyed about.

Barca had put Puyol up front in a 4-4-2 formation whilst having Bojan, Gudjohnsen, Xavi, Messi, Keita and Iniesta on the field, and this was after just over 60 mins of the game gone with the score 1-1, surely that would not happen?

Barca then Put Abidal up front as the middle striker of a 3-4-3 formation again with the same players above still on the field.

Why can't people agree that this is somewhat strange, if not unheard of?

As I have said in earlier post, with all those world class attacking players on the field would Barca really have the need to put Puyol OR Abidal up front in one game when they are drawing and NOT losing, I have to say that the answer is catagorically no!

The point I was making was not that I was annoyed that two defenders scored against me, clearly this happens all the time, if everyone had taken the time to read the OP you might actually get what I was annoyed about.

Barca had put Puyol up front in a 4-4-2 formation whilst having Bojan, Gudjohnsen, Xavi, Messi, Keita and Iniesta on the field, and this was after just over 60 mins of the game gone with the score 1-1, surely that would not happen?

Barca then Put Abidal up front as the middle striker of a 3-4-3 formation again with the same players above still on the field.

As I have said in earlier post, with all those world class attacking players on the field would Barca really have the need to put Puyol OR Abidal up front in one game when they are drawing and NOT losing, I have to say that the answer is catagorically no!

I agree with you that it's strange for Barcelona to put two defenders up front, but it's not strange at all (in both real life and FM) for a team to put defenders up front. Although Puyol might not be the most dominant player in the air, he is still a world class defender. There are countless examples of when defenders have scored "screamers" to win games.

You were unlucky, but how many times have you stolen points "smash and grab" style?

I just lost a game away to Everton after dominating the whole match. Who scored the 30yd half volley to win the match in the 94th minute? Nuno Valente! It was his first goal of the season....and this was the 36th league game of the year.

Ok people, only a couple have got the point of my OP, so i'll just give up trying to explain my point.

Obviously I got irate after it happened but its now forgotten about so don't worry anyone that thinks I am still moaning.

Some people just never see anything wrong in this game sometimes, don't get me wrong I love this game and I will buy every single edition that is made, but that doesn't mean I dont think it can be improved in certain area's.

So, most of the people in this thread think that it could happen IRL. Of course a defender could score a screamer, of course sometimes a team can send defenders up front if they are desperate to score. But the case the OP describes would NEVER happen IRL.

Imagine Barcelona's manager, with all those goal-machine-super-attacking players at his disposal (the OP names some of them), suddenly plays a 4-4-2 with Puyol as one of the strikers!! Puyol could definitely score as a RB or WB, no doubt about it, or at least wouldn't be so odd. Or at least he could play up front in a desparate 4-2-4 formation, I can accept that. But to be chosen as a ST in a 4-4-2, with the clock pointing the 60' it's plain stupid, would never happen IRL, as it would be counter-productive, a choise never to be used by Barcas manager.

You know, not everything that happens in FM are 100% realistic, and imo, ther's no need to try and justify the slightest detail that seems unrealistic, after all it's just a game.

So, most of the people in this thread think that it could happen IRL. Of course a defender could score a screamer, of course sometimes a team can send defenders up front if they are desperate to score. But the case the OP describes would NEVER happen IRL.

Imagine Barcelona's manager, with all those goal-machine-super-attacking players at his disposal (the OP names some of them), suddenly plays a 4-4-2 with Puyol as one of the strikers!! Puyol could definitely score as a RB or WB, no doubt about it, or at least wouldn't be so odd. Or at least he could play up front in a desparate 4-2-4 formation, I can accept that. But to be chosen as a ST in a 4-4-2, with the clock pointing the 60' it's plain stupid, would never happen IRL, as it would be counter-productive, a choise never to be used by Barcas manager.

You know, not everything that happens in FM are 100% realistic, and imo, ther's no need to try and justify the slightest detail that seems unrealistic, after all it's just a game.

hallelujah:cool:

At last someone gets the point of my OP, at least there is someone out there that looks at all of the posts in a thread.:thup:

If I'm struggling to win headers up front I often throw a big DC up there as a target man, and occasionally he will get it down to his feet and have a pop at goal.

How often does Fergie send Vidic or Ferdinand up front for the last 5 minutes when they are losing a game? Quite often.

When Liverpool needed a goal against Middlesbrough early this season it was Carragher with a cracker from outside the box that drew them level.

My point is, it happens. Get over it.

Read the OP again and you may feel a little silly;)

Something else I also found weird:

I played against Liverpool (I'm Man Utd), and Gerrard, Alonso, , Mascherano Torres and Riera were all out because of injuries. I was also playing at home.

In real life they would change their formation, but in this game they kept it which made the team look like this (only taking midfield):

CM: Masch

AMR: Benayoun

AML: Babel

AMC: Lucas

ST: N'gog

I won 4-0, and they didn't have a shot at goal.

I never thought the computer would ever cheat to beat you... Having Puyol and Abidal score wonder goals must be a killer though... I cant imagine Puyol

doing anything but killing players to win balls... I dont think I have ever seen him dribble but a couple of steps to make a short pass hahaha!!! Bad luck bro

but 3-2 to Barca ain't a bad result, maybe next game put Heitinga up front or Gregory Coupet and try getting them to score!!

I never thought the computer would ever cheat to beat you... Having Puyol and Abidal score wonder goals must be a killer though... I cant imagine Puyol

doing anything but killing players to win balls... I dont think I have ever seen him dribble but a couple of steps to make a short pass hahaha!!! Bad luck bro

but 3-2 to Barca ain't a bad result, maybe next game put Heitinga up front or Gregory Coupet and try getting them to score!!

I will try that for sure, but somehow I doubt it will work:D

I will probably be slated for it after the game by the fans as an absolutely stupid idea to come up with, but hey ho I don't have the power of the AI.;)

Samba played a fair bit of the game yesterday up front for Blackburn iirc.

Different teams, but same thing really..

What happened to the OP would annoy me as well, but here's a couple of thoughts.

If you were managing Croatia in the World Cup, for example, and you were playing in the semi final against France, and you dominated the match, were by far the better team and then their right back, a guy who had never scored for them, popped up with two goals, including one curled in from 25 yards on his left foot, you'd be pretty annoyed, wouldn't you?

Also, defenders can score beautiful goals too.

Now, I'm not saying this happens all the time IRL, in fact I'd say it's quite rare. But then, it appears it's quite rare in the game. I have had people of limited skill score good goals against me. But having a long shot attribute of 8 doesn't mean he can never score a long shot. IRL I'd put my long shot stat at around 3 or 4, but even I've managed to crack one in from distance one, and I'm basically as prolific a right back as Gary Neville!

So that's what I think.

I don't think that the OP is annoyed because of a defender curling in a long shot, but because of the imposible scenario he witnessed: Puyol playing as a FC. Just look at some of Barca's starting 11 and answer me if you please: is there any possibility that Guardiola would play a straight 4-4-2 with Puyol as FC? Is there any possibility, later on the same game he would choose another Defender, Abidal, for the same role? You are Barca's manager, you want to get a result and expect Puyol and Abidal to score? Come on...

Very very cruel scenario dude :(

But just to add, Everton have stuck Lescott and Jagielka up front in the dying minutes of some games this season, purely to win headers from long hoofs.

But in your case, i'd just be miffed :D

What happened to the OP would annoy me as well, but here's a couple of thoughts.

If you were managing Croatia in the World Cup, for example, and you were playing in the semi final against France, and you dominated the match, were by far the better team and then their right back, a guy who had never scored for them, popped up with two goals, including one curled in from 25 yards on his left foot, you'd be pretty annoyed, wouldn't you?

Also, defenders can score beautiful goals too.

Now, I'm not saying this happens all the time IRL, in fact I'd say it's quite rare. But then, it appears it's quite rare in the game. I have had people of limited skill score good goals against me. But having a long shot attribute of 8 doesn't mean he can never score a long shot. IRL I'd put my long shot stat at around 3 or 4, but even I've managed to crack one in from distance one, and I'm basically as prolific a right back as Gary Neville!

So that's what I think.

Of course defenders score screamers from time to time, I totally accept that, what I can't accept is that to use your example, Thuram playing up front when scoring said screamers!, he just found himself in a position to score those goals and not up front because he was told to play there by his manager.

I used the whole defenders scoring the world class goals to make my point even stronger, but the main point of my thread was the fact Barca felt the need to put the defenders up front in the first place.

I have to have another little moan about something else that has happened, playing Sevilla away and Palop is injured, De Sanctis has been sent on loan so they have to put some useless keeper in goal who has probably not kept the bench warm before De Sanctis went on loan. Great I think this should give me a great chance of getting three points or so I thought!

Of course you know what happens I shouldn't even need to finish story off but I will. Their "super keeper" had the game of his life and kept out 5 of my 7 clear cut chances whilst my keeper who had superb morale and had not conceded in the last two games had a nightmare, letting in 3 of their 3 shots on target, funny that hey.

Have a little guess who was MOM, clearly the fact that happened was totally down to my tactics wasn't it?

Absolute joke!

EDIT- My 1st choice keeper has just got an injury in training so I have to put a young regen in goal for my next game, I wonder what will happen, luckily im playing an average team so we'll see.

Well luckily for me I restricted them to only a couple of shots on goal with 1 long shot causing him a slight problem, thank god for that!

I don't think that the OP is annoyed because of a defender curling in a long shot, but because of the imposible scenario he witnessed: Puyol playing as a FC. Just look at some of Barca's starting 11 and answer me if you please: is there any possibility that Guardiola would play a straight 4-4-2 with Puyol as FC? Is there any possibility, later on the same game he would choose another Defender, Abidal, for the same role? You are Barca's manager, you want to get a result and expect Puyol and Abidal to score? Come on...

I just think it's unrealistic that Barca would play any formation bar 4-3-3 :D

Archived