Transforming a league

Has anyone/ would it be possible for the user to effectively transform the whole quality of a league in FM by the following?

You choose to manage a team which is easily the strongest team in the league and they are already in the champions league, and with just a little tactical knowhow and correct decisions you should be able to win the league and possibly get 3rd place or maybe scrape through to the second round phase in the champions league. Now if you win the league and do well in the Uefa Cup (after finishing 3rd) or advance in the champions league, does your reputation and/or league attraction and/or club & Nation coefficent increase? If it does, then surely the level of players that the league will be able to attract will gradually get higher and the league will be of higher quality in time.

Basically, I am asking whether after success over the years in the league and in europe (not neccessarily winning an european competition though) is it possible to change a fairly poor standard league into a better one. If someone has done something like this before, please provide examples/ whther you think it is possible in FM. I ask this as I am personally interested in taking on a strong team in a weak division (such as dinamo in croatia for example) and want to know if I can raise the standard of the league.

Thanks in advance.

Yeh - I mean I don't expect the croation league to become the premier league in terms of quality. But I just wanted to know whether it is possible to up the standard (even if it is only a little bit) and if people had examples.

On an old version of FM,. i had continued success at Rangers over the course of several seasons. Obviously as i improved, the players i bought in improved, so naturally, my reserves were better that the previous standard of the league, they went to a club in the SPL, making them better and so on.

Due to my continued success (relative i hasten to add), in the Champions League, the winner of the SPL automatically qualified for the group stage.

I dont go for this type of game anymore, but there is a point to it, and it was one of my longest and most satisfying games on FM.

Okay, so redUT - the question you can answer is this - did the non-Old Firm sides attract higher reputation players (apart from your reserves) as a result of your successes? If they did, it means the league reputation went up. If they didn't - as I suspect, it means the league reputation didn't change.

They did to a degree, although i imagine Ph, that this was as a result of them doing better indivdually in their respective competitions rather than the league, to a degree. Although, i feel the league must have improved if i was offered direct entry into the CL.

It is still improving the quality of the league, as all teams improve, maybe not reputation, but as like i said, the individual team's improving theirs. I was able to attract better and better players due to my success so likewise the lowerclubs.

I do understand what you are saying tho, and i couldnt honestly tell you if the league improved as i dont use editors, and it was a while ago!

So is it ultimately worth managing a strong team in a weak divsion in an attempt to do well in Europe and therefore attract better players and raise the standard of the league?

Not really - you will not really see a huge difference.

Yes, I dont know how league and club reputation are set up/affected - but I think that a league would gain in popularity if one team/more than one team from its league did well in europe. This isn't really reflected in the game and perhaps it should.

Yes, I dont know how league and club reputation are set up/affected - but I think that a league would gain in popularity if one team/more than one team from its league did well in europe. This isn't really reflected in the game and perhaps it should.

I disagree. One team does not make a league. The success of a single team in continental competition isn't going to make their domestic league more attractive to players. Sure, it'll gain some attention out of curiosity, but there won't be a significant rise in either the quality of the players coming into the league or a gain in popularity.

Look at the Portuguese league. Porto wins the UEFA Cup, then the Champions League. And instead of attracting better players to the league, their better players are sold abroad. So there was a brief period when teams looked towards Portugal to find players. But the league is still in roughly the same place it was before Porto's successes. However, go back a few decades and it was one of the strongest leagues in Europe, because there was more than just a single big team in the league.

To increase a leagues popularity, you have to have more than a single team regularly competing in continental competitions. You have to have more than a single strong team. So if you want to raise the profile of a league, you need to try and improve not just your own team but the teams around you. And for this to happen you really need to look to your youth system. Though a successful team might be able to attract the odd marquee player from out side the league, the other teams in the league won't be able to. To improve their quality you have to rely on domestic players. And to do this is a struggle. As you have to develop strong young players, hold onto them and only move them onto domestic teams. No selling abroad.

It'd be a long process, but it isn't impossible.

Archived