Counter attacking from corners

Posted this in Tactics and Training but no replies. Not a lot going on in that section right now so apologies for duplicating but I am quite keen to get other's thoughts on this.

When I am defending a corner I leave both my strikers and wingers up front. Full backs on the posts, DC's marking tall players and CM's set as back. I rarely concede from corners due to having players who are very good in the air so leaving players up front is something that I happy to do.

However, I rarely score on the counter attack. Despite having pacey wingers and strikers as well as an attacking mentality and high creativity throughout the team. I score plenty of goals in other situations.

I don't use the counter attack tick box option beacuse I think this invites your opponent onto you. I would simply like to play a fast counter from opposition's corner kicks.

Any ideas?

All the counterattack tickbox does is set everyones mentality to 20 when a counterattacking opportunity arises

I thought I read in the mannual that if you play counter-attack it invites your opponent onto you more than if it wasn't ticked.

This sounds useful however I am a little worried tat you say everyone...I wouldn't want both centre-half's charging up the field if they see a chance. That's why I have only wingers and strikers staying froward. Is there no way to set this as a specific player instruction.

Ideally I would like an option to ask my defenders to attempt passes to my wingers if they interecept a corner kick. Quite often the oppostion leaves them with acres of space when they have a corner.

EDIT: And also, how is a "counter-attacking opportunity" defined?

From what I understand, counter attacks are triggered when there are less than X amount of players between your player on the ball and the goal, in which case they go all out attack. By ticking counter attack it increases X so therefore your team will counter attack more often.

Having 2 wingers and 2 strikers forward when facing a corner will almost always result in a counter attack if they get hold of a cleared ball, regardless of ticking counter attack, so if they aren't doing anything with it, then it's not the lack of a counter attack - it's your players not taking advantage of it.

From what I understand, counter attacks are triggered when there are less than X amount of players between your player on the ball and the goal, in which case they go all out attack. By ticking counter attack it increases X so therefore your team will counter attack more often.

Having 2 wingers and 2 strikers forward when facing a corner will almost always result in a counter attack if they get hold of a cleared ball, regardless of ticking counter attack, so if they aren't doing anything with it, then it's not the lack of a counter attack - it's your players not taking advantage of it.

Do we know what X represents specifically? Is it fixed for every match? I don't honestly feel my wingers are to blame. It seems to be getting the ball to them and getting my players who are defending distributing the ball to them quickly.

I don't know how X is worked out, but personally I find my team counter attacks pretty well so it could just be the nature of your players. Have you watched what they do with the ball and why your counter attacks never work on the match engine?

I don't know how X is worked out, but personally I find my team counter attacks pretty well so it could just be the nature of your players. Have you watched what they do with the ball and why your counter attacks never work on the match engine?

When the opposition has a corner my strikers float around the halfway line at the centre circle and my wingers go very wide at the halfway line. 90% of the time the oppostion leave 5 men back but no one really commits to picking either winger up. They effectively have 3 spare men in the centre of the park so if the ball does break to my strikers they have 5 men on them. Ideally I would prefer my wingers to stay a bit deeper and more central. I beleive this would increase the chances of them getting on the ball after a corner is cleared. The only problem is I don't know how to ask them to do this.

I don't want to change my mentality as this would affect my normal game.

My approach to counter-attacking from defensive corners is to keep my wingers forward. Sometimes, I may also keep my most creative central midfielder forward as an additional outlet to spray balls left or right on the counter.

I've found this to be quite productive.

My approach to counter-attacking from defensive corners is to keep my wingers forward. Sometimes, I may also keep my most creative central midfielder forward as an additional outlet to spray balls left or right on the counter.

I've found this to be quite productive.

Do you also leave your strikers forward?

I'm starting to think maybe leaving my strikers back so that there is more chance I will get the break of the ball when it is cleared. Something to try anyway.

I'm starting to think maybe leaving my strikers back so that there is more chance I will get the break of the ball when it is cleared. Something to try anyway.

Again, the best way is to watch your players on the match engine. Just load up a match report and try to find some examples where your team counter attacks. It's the only way to know for sure what they are doing and where they are going wrong.

Just had a reply in the tactics forum suggesting that I leave 2 strikers froward and have someone close the corner down. The theory is that many clearances end up back with the corner taker and if someone is closing him down they can intercept and play it forward quicker. Anyone doing this?

Whether or not you leave your strikers up is a matter of taste. For me, my strikers are amongst the best in the air in my team, so I always keep them back. My wingers are good shooters so I tend to leave them to work their magic, leaving them as the only two outfield on a corner. As a result, though, I've scored like one goal on the counter in nearly 20 seasons and it wasn't by a winger - it was my centre-back standing near the corner, doing a Maradona!

However, since a lot of people do little-and-large for their striker pairing, you can keep the little one up front - it helps, for me, for a central running option on the counter.

Just had a reply in the tactics forum suggesting that I leave 2 strikers froward and have someone close the corner down. The theory is that many clearances end up back with the corner taker and if someone is closing him down they can intercept and play it forward quicker. Anyone doing this?

actually i always have my short playmaker closing down, but i've almost never got a counter attack goal. i have yet to see a counter attack goal after a corner, AI or real player, but i hope someone would prove me wrong

cheers

I don't believe it! Opposition corner, cleared by defenders, ball breaks to my winger who goes on a lung-bursting run down the left , I have strikers charging into the box and anything other than a woeful cross will burst the net...but that won't happen beacuase Arteta has been on fire this season....he makes the angle, looks up..........................

Half time.

Are the God's against me?

Archived