Nothing Specific Noted

I'm not sure how many times this has been mentioned, but I'm starting to get a little annoyed with the team talk feedback reports.

Didn't seem to be listening is my favorite. After watching your team get beat 0-3, and in the dressing after the game a player 'didn't seem to be listening' as you give them a dressing down. Can you imagine what Fergie would do if one of his players 'didn't seem to be listening' after getting beat 1-4 by Liverpool?

Not really a moan, as I think this is the best in the Football Manager series to date, just an observation!

^^Lol at heath^^ - I think team talks should be revamped and expanded along with press conferences tbh. There isnt enough variety of options at all in the teamtalks and the reactions are badly worded. Nothing Specific noted is far too vague and 'didnt seem to be listening' apparently means neither up nor down. Teamalks should have much better feedback options and I really would love if SI looked at this to improve on it, as it is probably the weakest area in the game at the moment.

I think that it is totally unrealistic that any professional football player would not listen to what his manager is saying with the possible exception of a player who is leaving or doesn't like his manager. I realise that it is very difficult to have a huge quantity of responses and keep things fresh but I do think that the 'responses' of the players should be more clearly defined and understandable. It's a very difficult part of the game to get right and one that from what I understand can really make a difference to your sides performance and fortunes so it needs to be thought through in much greater detail.

Maybe split talks into 2 sections with feedback after the first section showing the players reactions thus far (in real life you would get such feedback by just being there)as it would help prevent big errors of judgement. It annoys me if you tell a player with low morale that he is playing well when actually playing just better than average, in real life the player would get a small lift (though encouragement could be argued as better) but in FM 09 I have seen dismissive reactions.

Maybe we could have another half time action - "Refuses to allow the team back to the dressing room and dresses the team down on the pitch in public", however common sense would tell us that this would:

a/ pi55 the players off

b/ pi55 the board off

c/ get the crowd chanting "you dont know what you're doing"

- Just a thought! (or perhaps not!)

I watched the ITV documentary on Brian Clough the other day (whilst playing FM09 at the same time) and I couldn't help thinking what would the great Mr Clough say to a player if he 'didn't seem to be listening'.

Its a part of the game that does need a revamp, and with the correct tools/feedback, player management would become a much more influential part of the game. Maybe you could have a responce that made reference to the last matches team talk and their good performance was a result of that team talk?

Archived