The Damned United

I've just got back from watching The Damned United, which charted Brian Clough's unsuccessful run with Leeds, and other periods in his managerial career.

I was wondering if you'd ever had an experience similar to Mr Clough and Leeds - Have you ever upset a squad and you've failed to succeed as a result? I've had a game or two where players have lost faith in my decisions and I just had to write the whole thing off.

Methinks there could be a new challenge with this. Name yourself Brian Clough and see how quickly you can get sacked!

FM aside, this is one film I can't wait to see. Michael Sheen is brilliant. Also, ITV showed the full Yorkshire TV interview with Clough and Don Revie after the sacking - you can watch it here:

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=38208

Great stuff!

Funny you should mention this, I had a similar experience in fm07. I had had successful spells at Hartlepool United (ala Mr Clough) with 3 seasons and 1 promotion as champions, went on to manage Norwich successfully for 2 seasons, got them promoted to the premiership and managed to keep them up. Then got offered the job at Nottingham Forest, who were premiership strugglers at this point, 2/3 of the way through the next season.

Had about 11 games to got go to get them from 19th position and avoid relegation. Managed to get them to 15th by the end of the season with 2 games left to go, 1 agaisnt Arsenal (leading the table at this point ) and 1 against a lower team (cant remember who now).

Anyway morale was ok but some of the "bigger stars " didnt like me 'cos id dropped them to reserve as they didn't fit into my tactics. Anyway got beat off arsenal 2-1 away from home and got sacked! Couldn't believe it! Chairman said fans were unhappy and the board werent satisfied with the results - unbelievable after keeping them safe with no transfers and just 9 games, but it did give an atmosphere that I was an unpopular manager for forest! lol

ah well :S I left there and got a job at Birmingham City and did ok before getting a job at Newcastle and winning a few cups, including the UEFA and FA cup and 1 premiership title.

• 2 weeks later...

firstly on topic ... yeah i lasted 1 month with bolton wanderers as i lost 3-2 away at stoke and then ripped into all the squad then fined about 5-6 players 6 straight defeats

off topic.... i haven't seen this film yet because after i went to a leeds fans conference at elland road 1 week prior to the film peter lorimer that was heavily involved at the time was answering questions about the involvement of mr clough at leeds back then and how no leeds players he knew actually got mr clough sacked as what was mentioned at the time, i'm just wondering does it make leeds utd look bad?

i don't know where i stand on this being a leeds fan and listening to peter lorimer i'm inclined to believe him but who really knows and nobody was denying brian clough was a great manager

Archived