Database Problem

Hi

:confused:

I recently had to format my computer and before doing so I made sure I backed up my Sports Interactive folder which was located in My Documents .

This folder contained my custom database and saved game files .

I re-installed the game and updated to the patch I was using before .

Then replaced my Sports Interactive folder in My Documents .

Now when I goto load my save game , FM09 crashes to desktop and gives me an error message which says in brief that it couldn't load my database ?

The database seems fine and is in place as it will let me start a new game using it , but not continue any of my old ones !

I'm really disappointed at this as I had built up some good sides .

Any help or info would be apprechiated guys ?

Thanks

Joe79

:(

I don't get ya dude !

Could you explain a little more clearly please ?

How can i install the patches before reinstallation of game ?

As i have stated i updated before putting the folder back !

I have rather similar problem in FM 08. I had a several month hiatus from playing FM and meanwhile had formated my hd. Now I have re-installed and replaced my edited database in the correct folder in my documents SI subdirectory. When I try to load a save I had began months ago with the edited db, FM gives a warning it cannot find the altered db and instead uses the default data.

On the other hand I can create a new game using the very same edited db.

Does anyone have any idea what to do to make it work?

I'm think that this is database associated with an earlier version

As I recall when loading a database you can select the location to load from as per normal windows so you should be able to do this. The issue however seems to lie with the database compatibility.

Was the game you were playing edited?

Yes the Database was one that I had edited .

@ Mr Pompey - The database was created on the same version I am using now .

Like I said "it works fine when I create a new game from the database , just won't load my saved games"

There must be a fix or a solution for it .

:thdn:

Yes the Database was one that I had edited .

@ Mr Pompey - The database was created on the same version I am using now .

Like I said "it works fine when I create a new game from the database , just won't load my saved games"

There must be a fix or a solution for it .

:thdn:

Joe79, I may be wrong but I'm going to put it anyway. I believe it may well have to do with the path that the 'saved games' were saved under originally not being the same as the path that the 'back-up save games' are. Let me try to explain, when you saved your original game it would probably have had a path of something like:

c:\My Documents\Sports Interactive\FM2009\Saved Games

When you backed the games up the path may now read:

k:Sports Interactive\FM2009\Saved Games

or something different to the original. What I think you need to do is ensure that the path is the correct one which I believe should be the drive that you have now re-installed FM2009 onto then My Documents\Sports Interactive\FM2009\Saved Games.

I hope this solves the problem for you.

I also still have the problem I outlined in my previous post. I have tried to make sure I have the latest official FM08 patch, but still it will not load my save using the edited db.

I will listen to all advice. :)

Any clues? :(

I tried placing my save in the default saves folder, and since I never actually use the default folder I also tried similar directory structure I had used before formatting. But unfortunately it did not work - the same problem persists. The save loads, but the game cannot find the edited db.

I tried placing my save in the default saves folder, and since I never actually use the default folder I also tried similar directory structure I had used before formatting. But unfortunately it did not work - the same problem persists. The save loads, but the game cannot find the edited db.

Oh right, so if I am correct here you can load and play the actual saved game, but it doesn't load the edited db? Please confirm.

Unfortunately I have never edited the database on FM so I am not sure how the game handles this. I would make the assumption (I know that we should never assume anything) that the database may well be located in a different folder to the saeved games, without looking I can only guess but is there a sub-folder somewhere for the database? If so check that the directory structure is the same. If that makes any sense. If it's not solved then I can't think of another solution, sorry. I guess that would mean you need help from the boys at SI.

Oh right, so if I am correct here you can load and play the actual saved game, but it doesn't load the edited db? Please confirm.

That is correct. The consequence is at least that some things like stadiums and player histories, which do not exist in the default db, are missing.

Unfortunately I have never edited the database on FM so I am not sure how the game handles this. I would make the assumption (I know that we should never assume anything) that the database may well be located in a different folder to the saeved games, without looking I can only guess but is there a sub-folder somewhere for the database? If so check that the directory structure is the same. If that makes any sense. If it's not solved then I can't think of another solution, sorry. I guess that would mean you need help from the boys at SI.

The edited databases are located (I'm playing FM08 as you can see) in:

My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db

Curiously I am able to create a new game using my custom db and load new saves without problems. Old pre-format saves cannot find the db.

I have noticed some SI guy answering questions on this board, but he has "do not PM me" or something similar as his location. No SI participation on this thread so far... :(

That is correct. The consequence is at least that some things like stadiums and player histories, which do not exist in the default db, are missing.

The edited databases are located (I'm playing FM08 as you can see) in:

My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db

Curiously I am able to create a new game using my custom db and load new saves without problems. Old pre-format saves cannot find the db.

I have noticed some SI guy answering questions on this board, but he has "do not PM me" or something similar as his location. No SI participation on this thread so far... :(

I think that you have probably answered the question yourself. As you can create a new game with your custom db and then re-load ok but you are unable to re-load from the pre-formatting then I think that it is due to formatting the drive that you are having issues. I really don't know what else to suggest as it appears to be a technical issue. Good luck.

Thanks anyway Daley.

Obvioulsy the problem began after I had formatted my hd. But it should be possible to even transport saves and dbs between machines...

I have the last FM08 patch so I would think the dbs (edited & default) ought to be compatible.

Archived