Naming the stadium?

I know you can get the stadium named after yourself if you do well, but what I think would be a nice addition is if you had the opportunity to name it if you did really well for the club. What do people think of this?

I know you can get the stadium named after yourself if you do well, but what I think would be a nice addition is if you had the opportunity to name it if you did really well for the club. What do people think of this?

No. Managers have nothing to do with that, they have absolutely no input into the name of a stadium, so no.

i think it's a no mate :)

dont think you asked a stupid question though, i would love to see my name on a stadium but it has nothing to do with the manager unfortunately

But the result, as in my case, when Portsmouth move to a new stadium, the new stadium was originally named 'Portsmouth Stadium' which is a bit of a let down to be honest

I know where he is coming from. Because wigan are getting their name changed and the chairman must have had a shortlist to choose from or at least helped brain storm

Dave Whelan named it after his company. Not much 'brainstorming' required methinks.

I know it's not the managers job and I'm usually against ideas like this BUT for those managers who are legends at the club (when this is possible :D) I think it would be a nice addition. Something like the feeder club choice. The board could come up with a list of names and ask for your input.

I know it's not the managers job and I'm usually against ideas like this BUT for those managers who are legends at the club (when this is possible :D) I think it would be a nice addition. Something like the feeder club choice. The board could come up with a list of names and ask for your input.

That's a good idea, i'd be quite happy with that. But i'm not sure the game is currently even capable of producing 5 options - seems to be either '<Team Name> Stadium' or '<Favoured Personnel> Stadium'.

On another note, do stadiums ever get named after the chairman? Don't think i've ever seen that before in the game.

the game should have a database of local areas which the stadium can be named after IMO, FIFA manager has a database like this for naming sunday league teams

I'm with you on this. Perhaps the official researcher should be able to put some / one potential ground name in the database as this would help with the authenticity of ground naming that add value when playing the game

the little things help

Like has been suggested in this, and previous threads, the researches could come up with a couple of possible names in terms of local areas and those could be used along with chairman name, club name, favoured personnel. It would also be nice to maybe get a sponsors name to come up, but then you would have licensing issues so I doubt they could do that.

I love it how people reject this idea on the grounds that "it's not a manager's job".

Yet the thing people seem to enjoy most in this game is negotiating transfers and contracts, which may I remind you, is not a manager's job.

I love it how people reject this idea on the grounds that "it's not a manager's job".

Yet the thing people seem to enjoy most in this game is negotiating transfers and contracts, which may I remind you, is not a manager's job.

Excellent point, well made.

Indeed. It's usually the same people aswell who say it over and over again, belittling peoples ideas.

It's only "not the managers job" when it suits it would seem.

The board give a manager a budget and he spends it how he chooses, and then the manager sits down with the player or his agent and decides on his contract. The board may look over the contract to find out if it is reasonable, but on the whole I understand that it's the manager's responsibility.

That's not a bad idea elsgouro, still would be nice to have a 'pool' of sponsors names available though :thup:

It might also be a good source of additional production funds for SI as well, "selling" the advertising space. Think of the ad boards in the match engine already doing this. ;)

Obviously it would be quite unfortunate if your club ended up with the Durex Arena...

Seriously though, stadium sponsership is something that's definately getting more prevelent in todays game, though I could never imagine Man Utd selling the name of Old Trafford to a sponsors name.

Like has been suggested in this, and previous threads, the researches could come up with a couple of possible names in terms of local areas and those could be used along with chairman name, club name, favoured personnel. It would also be nice to maybe get a sponsors name to come up, but then you would have licensing issues so I doubt they could do that.

I like this idea, would be much better than the dull names we're getting in FM09, like Juventus Park as I've had before :p

I wouldn't mind having the option of naming your own stadium, even if it is unrealistic.

In an old manager game on the Mega Drive you used to be able to sell advertising space on the boards around the stands, none of them were real names IIRC but it would be a good way for SI to generate income through selling advertising space. The only problem I would see is that in order to maximise advertising revenue everyone would probably see their ground renamed to ensure it gets out there or, unless they can sell it to shedloads of companies every team will end up at the o2 stadium or something like that. The idea of a few local areas being programmed for each club might work for new stadium builds but might take a fair amount of legwork.

I know some say it wouldn't be a managers job and it wouldn't IRL but for the sake of getting something better than [insert team Name] Stadium I'd much rather have the option of naming it or being given options to name it myself.

I like this idea, would be much better than the dull names we're getting in FM09, like Juventus Park as I've had before :p

I wouldn't mind having the option of naming your own stadium, even if it is unrealistic.

You mean it didn't even change to what the Italian equivalent of 'park' or 'ground' is? Just Juventus Park?

come on man selling advertising space is pretty much the worst thing i've ever seen in a management game.

I didn't say it was somethign I wanted, just that it had been in a previous game.

If they're going to have the renaming feature or new stadiums built then they should have realistic names (given that the main argument for not having an input in it is that it isn't a reslistic thing for a manager to do). If the best they can give you is something like 'Juventus Park' then I'd rather they just gave you a new stadium with the same name as the old stadium, like others have said, it doesn't fit just putting them all in English and I can't think of any stadium that is just the team name followed by stadium/arena/park etc... it sounds rubbish and althpugh it's only a small feature it's something that sticks out as amateur, as if it was just oput in as an after thought.

Archived