Suggestion: Creating your own team

Well i'm a massive fan of the CM/Fm series and have for the last 3 month been playing FM Live and it really ahs me hooked. However it is for me a far more casual game where i only log on for say an hour play a couple league games if I have any oppenent's online. I'm not big on playing too many meaningless friendlies although i do know they have uses. But i won't go into FML here :)

The idea i have for FM10 would be to allow you to be owner/manager (yes it's stolen from FML).

So you could enter your own team and pick which country to start in, But you would at all times have to start in the bottom division. Obviously you would also have to select whihc team to drop out or have it pick one at random (up to the coders i guess).

You have an option to upload an image for your club etc just like FML too and your squad would be blank. So pre season you would have to go out and buy your team.

This is where another option could be added. I've seen many people ask for a difficulty to be set into FM and here you could set how much money you start with.

The game would from this point pretty much carry on as a normal FM game would. But (yes always a but), you will never ahve the fear of the sack as you are the owner and can shape the way the club is run etc. No board interference either as that is you. You also decide if an upgrade to training or stadium is needed. But bare in mind these dicisions will impact on the bank balance and your spending on the team. These go on in a normal games of FM so all thats happening is Your making the choice not an AI chairman.

So why you might ask to add this into FM and not jsut stick with FML. Well for me as i've already mentioned FML is a more casual game and only log in for an hour or so each day. And then you have to wait for other league members to be online which isn't always the case. With FM i can get addicted and play right through the night. This additional feature would really keep the public playing in my eyes as 1. they wouldn't get the sack, 2. enjoy the idea of this game being a living fantasy (which it is), but now onto a new level. Where we can live the dream or having your own club and seeing it rise to the top and beat Man Utd to a league title :)

What do the guys from SI think about this Idea and everyone else. Would this kind of feature interest you?

but why say no?

if you don't want it then simply choose to play as normal and pick the club you want to play as?

How does not adding it make anything worse.

Also if you say it's FML well then you obviously don't play FML like myself. Because in FML you only play 2 maybe 3 games then your stuck waiting for someone to come online who you haven't already played. Unless your happy playing meaningless friendlies. I'm not knocking FML mind as i love it but it is a totally different game to FM and has far more feature i've mentioned to be possibly put into FM.

As for using the data editor then yes most of it can be done via an editor. But i'll bet over 90% of FM players don't sue the editor and it's a fair bit of work to get it all setup rather than having this as an option. Yet there is no option for you to be the owner too.

but why say no?

if you don't want it then simply choose to play as normal and pick the club you want to play as?

Because this has, and always will be, Football Manager. A simulation rather than a game that tries to be as realistic as possible while still being fun. In my opinion there is no place for things like this in this particular game.

Others may disagree, as I said, this is just my opinion of how the game should be.

• SI Staff
but why say no?

How does not adding it make anything worse.

Also if you say it's FML well then you obviously don't play FML like myself. Because in FML you only play 2 maybe 3 games then your stuck waiting for someone to come online who you haven't already played. Unless your happy playing meaningless friendlies. I'm not knocking FML mind as i love it but it is a totally different game to FM and has far more feature i've mentioned to be possibly put into FM.

As for using the data editor then yes most of it can be done via an editor. But i'll bet over 90% of FM players don't sue the editor and it's a fair bit of work to get it all setup rather than having this as an option. Yet there is no option for you to be the owner too.

Because it's going down the route of adding a chairman mode which we've said we're not interested in looking at at the moment as we've not quite run out of ideas for the game as it is at the moment.

I'd be more inclined to support different roles like director of football, coach, assistant manager etc which have some relevance to the game as it is at the moment whereas being an owner or chairman of your own club is something quite different.

Because it's going down the route of adding a chairman mode which we've said we're not interested in looking at at the moment as we've not quite run out of ideas for the game as it is at the moment.

I'd be more inclined to support different roles like director of football, coach, assistant manager etc which have some relevance to the game as it is at the moment whereas being an owner or chairman of your own club is something quite different.

Care to divulge in some early secrets for FM10 then mate?

Well thast a fair enough response rather than a no i don't like it.

However i hope the ideas that are getting put in aren't the anoying ones thast have been added so far. OR at least more thought out before being added.

The Press conferences are a decent idea as they do happen in real life but, unfortunatly the questions and answers are pretty poor and don't give you a chance to have a personality within the game. And far too much emphasis is playing onto players thoguhts. Lets be honest as if a player cares what a manager say's to the press.

Unless of course he comes and slates that player.

But i'll leave all that and let more people give there view on my original post. I personally would like to see it implemented, But doesn't look likely :(

I for one hope we don't get the chairman option ever.

After all it is Football Manager ;)

I still don't understand why people say no. Is it really going make the game worse for you? Simply don't use the feature if you don't want it. All i'm saying others might and can benefit from it. I myself would like to see it and at the same time i'd still play the game as normal as well as FML. Yes i'm addicted to FM i think :)

But as pointed out, SI don't want to go down the chairman road so that's fine with me for now. I'll just have to spend hours in the editor :(

Tbh i myself didn't really want a full on chairman route added into FM i was only thinking of adding your own team and thus not being able to get sacked but for that to work you would have to become the chairman. But we'll try the editor for now.

Note to self:

Resist the temptation to add extra funds while in editor :)

I'm kinda torn on this... Yes it would add a nice extra mode if you will to the game, something people do anyway to give it extra life, however as its already been mentioned, this is basically FM Live (Yeah I know that its not exactly the same thing you're asking for here)

If it was added I would probably use it... I see it as being like playing PES Master League games where you're given a team of set random players and have to work from that. It could work, but it takes away from the realism that this game is built around.. if you're willing to drop it for one thing, where do you draw the line?

It'd be weird seeing 'Ter' without Sports Interactive underneath...

Don't excite me :p

I would have to say I would like an easy option to create my own team. Rather than having to go through the editor every time I want to hit myself with a massive challenge.

I still don't understand why people say no. Is it really going make the game worse for you? Simply don't use the feature if you don't want it. All i'm saying others might and can benefit from it. I myself would like to see it and at the same time i'd still play the game as normal as well as FML. Yes i'm addicted to FM i think :)

The reason is because this 'make it optional - then everyone is pleased' happens with a lot of forum ideas. Problem is, if they included all those ideas and made them optional, they would be wasting time adding features that half of FM'ers will never use. Therefore wasting time when they could be fixing modules up or adding new features that most players will use.

FM is meant to be a simlulation and this idea is anything but realistic. The data editor really isn't that difficult to use, so I don't think there is a need for this feature.

Archived