Games take far too long..

Fed up of watching matches on KEY highlights, yet it takes sometimes up to 7 minutes to watch the game.. totally ridiculous.

'Key' should show me: Key chances, and red cards - am I correct?

So then, why does it show me, corners where nothing of note happens? It dosent show every corner, so why show random ones where nothing happens? Why does it make me watch the game for about 2 minutes just to make a subsitution? Why does it show me the whole of injury time, when im 3 - 0 up?

Its stupid and totally illogical - FM is getting further and further away from us casual gamers, and seasons that take hours and hours to complete is one of these reasons - CM 01/02 was by far the best game you have EVER produced, and will NEVER be beaten, one of the reasons was the fact that I could say 'Oh ive got a free hour, ill start a new CM game and be 20 games into my first season', now its like, 'oh ive got an hour, ill start a new FM game, ill be coming up to third friendly! Great!'

Im playing less and less of FM, and its sutpidly long matches which are part of the reason.

Saxinator: Im not a sad bastard who can spend 3 hours for my side to play SIX games.. :rolleyes:

Frediculous_biggs: I still want to have the 'excitment' that I dont know whats going to happen, as you have when watching a football game. Watching goals only would be incredibly dull, knowing that whenever either side has possesion in the others half they are guaranteed to score.

Saxinator: Im not a sad bastard who can spend 3 hours for my side to play SIX games.. :rolleyes:

Firstly, there's no need for that attitude.

Frediculous_biggs: I still want to have the 'excitment' that I dont know whats going to happen, as you have when watching a football game. Watching goals only would be incredibly dull, knowing that whenever either side has possesion in the others half they are guaranteed to score.

Then what do you want? You just want to see 'key' chances and red cards? Isn't that pretty much what you get now.

The trouble with your post is that it has the tone of demanding that you should be listened to. Unfortunately you're in a very small minority, most people are very happy with the highlight options already available.

If you want to put forward a constructive suggestion of how the highlight options can be improved then great. Your post, however, is not constructive and seems like nothing more than a rant, which is no use to anyone.

Sorry for the attitude - his response was incredibly ignorant.

How it not constructive? I have given my opinion, and then shown why I have this opinion - I want key chances, and obviousley red cards. YES i am getting that, however im also getting additional things which I should NOT be, which dramatically lengten the amount of time it takes me to get through a game, IE - pointless corners, having to watch the game for around 2 - 3 mins JUST to make a subsitution.. so obviousley, take these out, and the 'key' highlights will no longer be a misleading title.

Saxinator you're obviousley a child so ill just ignore you.

Long matches add to the realism of the game

Er, no they don't. The matches will not be more realistic because you see more unimportant events shown as key highlights.

Although I don't agree with the OP's tone here I do agree that there is too much moments of nothing of importance being shown in both key and extended highlights. How is a throw in nothing of which will come from a highlight? Why do I have to watch players walking up to the ref to get a 'talking to' and then slowly back to their position? Etc. A highlight should be just that - a highlight - an event that would interest me or help me with my tactics. Not just random moments and uninteresting incidents that only slow down the flow of the game.

Sorry for the attitude - his response was incredibly ignorant.

How it not constructive? I have given my opinion, and then shown why I have this opinion - I want key chances, and obviousley red cards. YES i am getting that, however im also getting additional things which I should NOT be, which dramatically lengten the amount of time it takes me to get through a game, IE - pointless corners, having to watch the game for around 2 - 3 mins JUST to make a subsitution.. so obviousley, take these out, and the 'key' highlights will no longer be a misleading title.

I agree with the time it sometimes takes to make substitutions, unfortunately that's a product of the fact that every time you make a tactical change the match needs to recalculate, it would take pretty much just as long whether you were viewing a highlight or not.

If I understand you correctly then, what you want is just highlights of Clear Cut Chances, goals and cards? In that case I have no problem with SI adding another highlight mode, if there's enough demand for it. The trouble is I don't think there's much of a demand for this at the moment. For most people (myself included) key highlights show enough, any less and we'd fell like there wasn't enough happening in the game and would have no idea whether we needed to make any tactical changes.

So, unfortunately, you might just have to live with it :)

I have some problems with "watching a game", too. I play with "key highlights".

-when the ball is out of play (for a corner kick for example), I don't want to watch my players preparing for the corning kick. It nearly takes 15 sec. It's just a waste of time.

- when a player gets injured it takes sometimes over a half minute until my physios come to help my player. Why do I have to watch it in the "key highlights"?

- sometimes I even have to watch how some players are substituted out. Another wasted 30 sec.

- after having tweaked my tactics I have to watch the scene on the field until the ball is out of play.

- the biggist issue: when I make a substitution but the subsititution isn't made yet, I can't change my tactics. It means that when I make my last substitution and one of players gets injured (although the substitution isn't executed yet) I can't tell the game that I rather want to substitute the injured player than someone else, because I don't want to play shorthanded.

I hope these things will be fixed in the next version of football manager.

Although I don't agree with the OP's tone here I do agree that there is too much moments of nothing of importance being shown in both key and extended highlights. How is a throw in nothing of which will come from a highlight? Why do I have to watch players walking up to the ref to get a 'talking to' and then slowly back to their position? Etc. A highlight should be just that - a highlight - an event that would interest me or help me with my tactics. Not just random moments and uninteresting incidents that only slow down the flow of the game.

This, however, I do agree with. I don't want to see fewer events included in key highlights, but certain events could be shortened.

i have to admit that watching key highlights for a match and it lasting 10 mins tests my patience sometimes.

is it benificial for the games to last this long when before they would be over in 3 mins or so?

i dont know. but its certainly a by product of the match engine getting more complex and visually better. you dont want a nice looking 3d engine that you've worked for ages on if people hardly get to see it at work.

i can get by though. and if i think its taking to long i set it to commentary mode only.

Er, no they don't. The matches will not be more realistic because you see more unimportant events shown as key highlights.

i agree with alot of what you say.

what annoys me is watching a player womble slowly up to the ref for a telling off, womble half way back up the pitch to his position and then the highlights cut to commentary only.

i could kindoff understand if i could then see the free kick being taken and something more exciting happen but its strange.

but then i wouldn't want just the really key highlights because that would detract from the feeling of the game being a full game to me.

I suspect that the highlights will be one thing that will be improved for the next game. I don't particularly have a problem with the number of highlights which are considered 'key' (although I agree with the corners one mentioned by the OP). The problem is the amount of time taken over certain things. For a booking, we should see the foul, then straight away the line 'the yellow card comes out' (or whatever), then back to text. For corners, we should be able to see the ball go out (if that's a highlight in it's own right. winning a corner is not a key highlight otherwise), then it should switch forward to when the corner is taken. There is a lot of wasted space in the key highlights which can and, I suspect/hope, will, be taken out of the next game. It's a new engine so there's bound to be problems associated with it.

There needs to be balance then between being able to study your team and the opposition team's tactics. Ultimately this is a Football Manager simulation so like other simulations then this have become more complicated.

Luckily for you instead of highlights watch overview.

Its horses for courses - I'm just half-way through 2011/12 and like to take my time so an hour 4 to 5 matches is fine by me e.g. I prefer it as a simulation rather than an arcade type game

The highlights could be cut alright. May i make the simple recommendation to speed up the speed by using the match speed slider. When you know a telling off or corner is happening ramp it up to the highest speed to get through the wait quicker. Not ideal but it's a solution for the OP for now.

stuff

Please do not post simply to abuse other members. Please do not swear. Both of these are not acceptable in GD. You should check out our Rules.

If you do not like the content of a post or a poster do not reply or put them on your ignore. Abusing someone in the manner you have is completely unacceptable, and something I have pointed out to the mods.

I suspect that the highlights will be one thing that will be improved for the next game. I don't particularly have a problem with the number of highlights which are considered 'key' (although I agree with the corners one mentioned by the OP). The problem is the amount of time taken over certain things. For a booking, we should see the foul, then straight away the line 'the yellow card comes out' (or whatever), then back to text. For corners, we should be able to see the ball go out (if that's a highlight in it's own right. winning a corner is not a key highlight otherwise), then it should switch forward to when the corner is taken. There is a lot of wasted space in the key highlights which can and, I suspect/hope, will, be taken out of the next game. It's a new engine so there's bound to be problems associated with it.

i agree that wated time has to be cut down, but i would temper that i dont want all the players walking around bit taken out because this surely adds to the fact taht your watching a football match rather than just a bunch of disparate moves?

also watching your players move up to take a corner could help you to see things happen in a tactical way? not seeing some of the bits in the middle could have a negative effect to our ability to manage things tactically.

Please do not post simply to abuse other members. Please do not swear. Both of these are not acceptable in GD. You should check out our Rules.

If you do not like the content of a post or a poster do not reply or put them on your ignore. Abusing someone in the manner you have is completely unacceptable, and something I have pointed out to the mods.

I think you're well within your right to point that out to the mods good sir.

May i also request that you point out the stupidty of his OP to the mod while you'e at it.

thank you my good man

Fair enough Skorpy.

Back on topic then, as I said I don't want to see less events shown in the key highlights, as I don't want to have to watch extended highlights in order to be able to get a grasp of the game and have an idea about whether I need to make any tactical changes.

That being said, it could certainly be optimised in some way, so that things like the time spent waiting for your player to take a corner or throw in are cut down.

Apologies to everyone involved. Steve, i retract all my former statements.

You are not an idiot, a loser, stupid or ignorant and you do not fail. You dont **** me off and you dont need to grow up. I dont know you so how could i make such assumptions

All comments deleted.

Everyones happy

So then, why does it show me, corners where nothing of note happens? It dosent show every corner, so why show random ones where nothing happens? Why does it make me watch the game for about 2 minutes just to make a subsitution? Why does it show me the whole of injury time, when im 3 - 0 up?

I think you've got some valid points there. I was thinking along the same lines when I had a real game going over the weekend.

Fair enough Skorpy.

Back on topic then, as I said I don't want to see less events shown in the key highlights, as I don't want to have to watch extended highlights in order to be able to get a grasp of the game and have an idea about whether I need to make any tactical changes.

That being said, it could certainly be optimised in some way, so that things like the time spent waiting for your player to take a corner or throw in are cut down.

Maybe with a slider. From little detail to Great

Fair enough Skorpy.

Thing is that's what extended highlights are for really - to show you a larger variety of action so you could get more of a grasp of the game. It does what you say you want from it so why wouldn't you want to use it? Key, Extended - it's just a description.

I'm certainly in favor of an actual 'key' highlights mode. Perhaps we could do with something in between key and extended but there are people that only really want the most relevant events and it wouldn't hurt if there was a mode that they could use.

in my experience a season is quicker in 09 than it was in 08 as in 08 it used to take me just under 24 hours of gameplay to do one season but now it takes me around 12 hours of gameplay :) (unless i forget to turn it off and leave my laptop on for a whole day lol )

Maybe with a slider. From little detail to Great

Not a bad idea, I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement though.

Thing is that's what extended highlights are for really - to show you a larger variety of action so you could get more of a grasp of the game. It does what you say you want from it so why wouldn't you want to use it? Key, Extended - it's just a description.

I'm certainly in favor of an actual 'key' highlights mode. Perhaps we could do with something in between key and extended but there are people that only really want the most relevant events and it wouldn't hurt if there was a mode that they could use.

As far as I'm concerned extended highlights show you more actual events from the match, they therefore take longer. Key highlights show fewer events and focus on the supposed 'key' ones. If both are optomised to cut out any useless stuff that we don't need to see in either then I'd be perfectly happy that the key highlights show me evrything I need, without being too time consuming.

Extended highlights obviously show me more, but as I said are more time consuming. I personally don't want to be left at the stage where I don't see enough in the key highlights and therefore have to spend extra time watching the extended highlights in order to be able to make any in match decisions based on what is happening.

I have no objections to there being an even more stripped down version of the key highlights though, if enough people seem to want it, that just shows mainly goals and clear cut chances. But to me that's pretty much what the key highlights do already.

The stuff about long substitutions, watching injuries, prepping corners, I totally agree with that. However, the other stuff I think is essential to actually enjoying the game. If you only watch corners where a goal is scored, you'll know a goal is going to be scored as soon as the highlight starts, dulling any tension and therefore pleasure. Sure, i could do without watching a corner where the ball just floats out of play, but I like to think of the "key highlights" as a Match of the Day highlights package.

If it got much shorter I doubt you could control tactics as well.

Perhaps a "goals only" option is required? But then you get the same problem as above.

I don't really mind what they do with the highlights, as long as they don't change the full match. I love the fact that the match is played in pretty much real time. I always watch the whole game which I think is the only way you can get a true picture of how your players are performing, this is more important to me than playing multiple seasons

I made a simlar post on this a while back:

When I select to watch the key highlights in a game, then that’s just what I expect to watch, the key highlights.

I tend to think of it as watching match of the day. Extended highlights will be the main games and include much more incidents whereas key highlights will be the shorter version, although show a bit more than just the goals.

However, when watching in key highlights I frequently get the following occurrences:

Highlight continuing after chance has been and gone

The highlight starts, a team has a chance which doesn’t go in but doesn’t go out of play either. Rather than the highlight ending once the chance has gone, it lasts until the ball goes out of play again, meaning you could be watching an extra minute of the ball being passed around the pitch before play stops for a foul / throw in etc.

Sitting through highlight while waiting for tactical changes

If you’re unlucky enough to click on confirm tactical changes just as a highlight begins, then you’re forced to see out the highlight before the changes take effect, even if nothing of note happens. This is especially frustrating if you’re making a change when a player goes down injured, as you’re forced to sit through and watch the painstakingly slow process of the trainer coming on field, the player receiving treatment then the player slowly walking off the pitch (on the occasions where he decides to leave the pitch and not just walk straight back in to play).

Highlights at the end of the match

Chances are if you enter a highlight at the end of the game then you’ll end up watching the remainder of stoppage time, even if nothing happens. While I’m sure SI did this to add tension, I really don’t want to be forced to sit through extra minutes of nothingness and would rather just get to the end of the game. It’s more frustrating when you’re 3-0 down and the game decides to play out the last 2 mins of stoppage time. Why would I want to see that?

Highlights for corners but not direct free kicks

Win a corner and the game will show you every single one. Win a direct free kick and the game will cut away if nothing comes of it. What’s up with that?

Last one has been fixed though iirc.

I suppose one of the problems with the highlight mode of choice, is simply what you want to get out of watching the game.

When the addition of a (2d) match display was first added, I thought the idea of it was to add a new dimension to a players tactics, being able to visually see the flaws in your team, and the 3d version is simply an update of this. The problem is that SI call them 'HIGHLIGHTS,' implying a Match of the Day style entertaining recall of the game. I really cant see a problem with the 'key' highlights - after all, if the opposition repeatedly run down the left wing, crossing to an unmarked striker, I want to see this and fix it before they score! With a goals/clear cut chances/cards mode, the games would be more fun to watch, but wouldn't really assist with the 'management' aspect...which is after all the name of the game!

All this said however, I am completely like the OP in that I tend to want to get through games as fast as possible. I tend to run the games as 'commentary only' however, always keep the assistant managers feedback window open, and update my tactics according to what he says. I generally watch the game back afterwards with the 'goals only' highlight mode and that's fine for me.

I suppose one of the problems with the highlight mode of choice, is simply what you want to get out of watching the game.

When the addition of a (2d) match display was first added, I thought the idea of it was to add a new dimension to a players tactics, being able to visually see the flaws in your team, and the 3d version is simply an update of this. The problem is that SI call them 'HIGHLIGHTS,' implying a Match of the Day style entertaining recall of the game. I really cant see a problem with the 'key' highlights - after all, if the opposition repeatedly run down the left wing, crossing to an unmarked striker, I want to see this and fix it before they score! With a goals/clear cut chances/cards mode, the games would be more fun to watch, but wouldn't really assist with the 'management' aspect...which is after all the name of the game!

All this said however, I am completely like the OP in that I tend to want to get through games as fast as possible. I tend to run the games as 'commentary only' however, always keep the assistant managers feedback window open, and update my tactics according to what he says. I generally watch the game back afterwards with the 'goals only' highlight mode and that's fine for me.

You must have a very good AM mine tells me that a particular player is having a bad game and i am watching the full game in 3D nd he is probibly the best player on the pitch and his match rating is also high. I tend to have a look at what he says once in each half and at half time and whilst I note his comments I tend to make my own descisions.

There is a risk then that people who play matches with little reference to key highlights where goals aren't scored etc that they miss observations of their team and the oppositions.

If employing tactics, aside from the score, how would the gamer know if they worked or not. For me I'd rather see this, for others they want to race through matches. I suppose SI should cater for both so perhaps an option to just watch goals would be preferable else key highlights and main highlights be used where key highlights include goals / shots on target/ sending offs.

I think the OP may be best to raise this as a potential enhancement in a post and see how others in favour of this see it best panning out. Once this happens SI could review the change knowing some gamers views of how they'd prefer this to work.

I think the OP has a good point but it got lost in some of the descriptive of the first post

The problem, as I think this discussion illustrates, is getting the balance. I do very few tactical changes in a game; in fact in 90% of my games I simply make substitutions and that's it. I want to be able to sit and watch key highlights in a 'match of the day' style. However others want to be able to watch key highlights and draw tactical lessons from it. This makes it rather difficult/impossible for SI to find the right balance without creating loads and loads of different highlight options.

I think what we can probably all agree on is that the highlights can and definitely should exclude the slow walking of players to and from positions, and the other hitches such as having to wait for the ball to go out of play after a chance or having to wait for a substitution to be made.

The problem, as I think this discussion illustrates, is getting the balance. I do very few tactical changes in a game; in fact in 90% of my games I simply make substitutions and that's it. I want to be able to sit and watch key highlights in a 'match of the day' style. However others want to be able to watch key highlights and draw tactical lessons from it. This makes it rather difficult/impossible for SI to find the right balance without creating loads and loads of different highlight options.

I think what we can probably all agree on is that the highlights can and definitely should exclude the slow walking of players to and from positions, and the other hitches such as having to wait for the ball to go out of play after a chance or having to wait for a substitution to be made.

Definitely agree with the last part.

I watch key and think its fast and good to use :thup:

If you dont like it im sure you can put it to the fastest speed or holiday the games if your that annoyed at the speed or may just be your pc/laptop mate. :thup:

My computer runs the game fine enough, Thanks for your advice but I do actually know about these things - fastest speed cant see what the hell is gan on, why would I holiday the games? ive already stated i want to watch the game.

If you want to draw tactical lessons, create friendlies and watch them in full.. :confused:

Bigwig you're post is spot on and the first three points are exactly whan im talking about. The highlights section is bugged - it is showing us too much - It DOES NOT show us every corner, so WHY does it show you certain ones even when nothing happens from them?

I watch keyhighlights and I agree they show alot of irrelevant action which over a course of a season will take up alot of time.

The usual walking up to the Ref for a talking too can be done away with for a start. Corners that go straight out of play. Throw ins that never come close to a chance is another. Watching the Physio toddle on and off can take up to 40seconds, there's no need for it.

If I'm giving the chance to Beta test again be sure I'll raise these issues in the hope of something being done about them.

Edit: Taking the ''other'' match slider away is another annoyance of mine, I have to click it to full during idle play then quickly click it back when a highlight starts, hopefully this will be looked at again.

Archived