Should we be able to outline ambitions to a player?

I was thinking today about how dos Santos joined Spurs because of the ambitions that they have, in game it would be hard for Spurs to sign dos Santos if they didn't make the Champions League and a 10th place finish would not improve the clubs rep enough.

When approaching a world class player do you think it would be a good idea to tell them what your plans for the club are, for example.

1. We aim to reach the champions league next season and chllenge for the title within the next 3 seasons.

2. We aim for a top 6 finish this year, then champions league, then challenge for the title.

3. We hope to build a team of high potential players to challenge for honours for years to come and think you would fit in.

I know this idea needs some work but I mean Spuirs have signed dos Santos and Modric because Ramos is ambitious and has big plans from the sound of it. I mean alot of players would not have joined Man City if it wasnt for their manager.

Surely managers do more in real life than say I admire who ever as a player then offer money and say "here is 40k a week if you join us"

I just feel it seems like we should have more interaction with players. The bad side is maybe if your club is not managing to make the ambitions you told the player they could become unhappy, request a transfer, slag you off to the media etc.

What do you think this could obviously be optional I mean if you want to sign Bobby Bobson for Nobody UTD then he wont care.

Whats your opinion? Most threads i start do not get many replies so let me know people.

I agree but theres more then just the manager... an actual plan such as the chairman backing and fincial help and such. A manager saying things like thing means nothing without actual evidence and a real plan.

I think this is a very good idea. I would like to be able to tell my current players, as well as prospective signings, what my intentions for the club is to boost morale, increase interest in the club and attract higher reputation players. However, it could work the other way, with player's disliking you for not fulfilling your objectives or not wanting to join you because they think your plans for the club are unrealistic.

Good idea AcidBurn .

C.

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

I think this is a very good idea. I would like to be able to tell my current players, as well as prospective signings, what my intentions for the club are to boost morale, increase interest in the club and attract higher reputation players. However, it could work the other way, with players disliking you for not fulfilling your objectives or not wanting to join you because they think your plans for the club are unrealistic.

Good idea AcidBurn .

C.

Fixed typos. icon_redface.gif

I don't really support this on the grounds that we have to state our ambition to the board when haggling over transfer and wage budget. We'd hardly get away with giving conflicting information to the board and our players, so I'd say it's covered already.

Good idea. Although you have to inform your board, nobody knows what is said behind those closed iron doors, and if you publicly come out and state it and then back it up (as it were for example, a challenge rating of your aims - say a points system were you won more points for overachieving and walking the talk. It would allow your reputation to increase faster than the club restricts it - I am sure if a manager took over a side newly promoted to the BSS and managed to get them to win it or get promoted, we would hear about it. Even more so if he performed successive promotions etc.)

My thoughts anyway. icon14.gif

Although you have to inform your board, nobody knows what is said behind those closed iron doors, and if you publicly come out and state it and then back it up...

well look at Sparky. Toxin publicly declared it's a top 6 finish or he's out and he publically said he accepted the challenge. Current and potential players (hi, Goofy) have a clear idea where they stand.

don't like it icon13.gif

I would just tell every player that I want to win CL within the shortest time possible. So then everyone should be happy to join me?

This would only work if the club's ambition would be backed by other things, most notably money. The club's rep can't be used as this is exactly what you try to circumvent. And there would have to be consequences for not reaching the aspired goals, comparably for signing someone as a key player and not playing him at all.

Too difficult to implement to work properly imho.

Obviously there would have to be some kind of credibility factor affecting whether or not players would be likely to believe your claims that Fulham will be winning the Champions League any time soon.

Also there would have to be consequences whereby if you filled your squad by promising trophies and glory and failed to deliver, there should be a *lot* of players demanding to leave.

Without both those things this would just be an exploit. If it could be done well it might add another factor for transfer negotiations.

i think its a good idea in theory.

i have to say though that it would have to be approached with extreme caution as one fault in it would probably mess it up big time.

i dont think it will be implemented as it is not exactly an every day occurance however i do agree contract negotiations and transfers need work.

I agree with this but also in the contract should be like say you said top 3 finish in the next 3 years and you have a 5 year deal on some one like dos santos for example and you fail to complete this then automatically this player can leave your club for the price you paid for him or the value of this player

Personally I think it's a good idea as it will add more realism to the game. We all know that players like an ambitious manager, who wouldn't. So I definetly think there should be something worked into the game to entice top class players to a club with an ambitious mentality.

Big icon14.gif up from me. icon_smile.gif

As much as I love this idea, I'm apprehensive about what it'll be like in practice for the first version of a game that it's introduced.. can only see this being a big exploit.

Other than that, just what other people have said really. It shouldn't be down to what you say, it should be down to what the media says too. As a Spurs fan, we know a lot about this. The media hyped our team up to a 4th place finish, Jol stated we would not finish that high, however the media created far more publicity with their claims than Jol did, thus the widely accepted truth was that Spurs had the ability to break into the top four. In that respect, the media needs a huge role in this area of the game too.

I just feel there should be more to negotiations than there is IRL alot of players meet the manager before they sign. This idea could be used as a loophole but if someone like Bolton say they are going to win the league in next 3 years then this is obviously not going to happen. I think that if you fail on what you say you will achieve then the player can hand in a transfer request and any offers made for the player that equal his value will automatically be accepted by the chairman.

I just feel there should be more to negotiations as there is IRL alot of players meet the manager before they sign. This idea could be used as a loophole but if someone like Bolton say they are going to win the league in next 3 years then this is obviously not going to happen. I think that if you fail on what you say you will achieve then the player can hand in a transfer request and any offers made for the player that equal his value will automatically be accepted by the chairman.

Good idea. Then, at the end of their first season (or perhaps second season), if you haven't either go where you said you would or aren't on your way to getting there, they should then become unsettled and want to leave.

Guest arrogantio

If you want a player to be able to automatically be put up for sale if you don't meet your ambitions then essentially you are asking for expansion of the existing contract system in the game (e.g. more equivalents to the relegation/non-promotion clauses)

If you want failing to achieve more abstract objectives to lead to the more likely outcome of players being unhappy and moaning to the media long before you actually fail to deliver

If yuu hint at Champions League football in two seasons for your bottom-half team to a particularly ambitious player, they would already be having doubts if you were in an entirely satisfactory mid-table position halfway through the first season, and if you were well off the pace in the second season certainly wouldn't wait until the end before putting in their transfer request. But it would be relatively unusual for the club to then have a contractual obligation to grant the request

At present, the transfer system is based almost exclusively on current reputation and money actually offered as part of the deal (with allegiances, nationality and league playing a supporting role in some transfers)

Any AI assessment of a clubs reputation ought to take into account the following in addition to the current reputation:

historic reputation, which as well as having intrinsic sentimental value, may also be a realistic indicator of whether the club is a sleeping giant with more potential to succeed at the top level than clubs who have performed better in recent seasons. Leeds are more likely to establish themselves in the top half of the Premiership over the next few seasons than many mid-table Championship clubs, but would still be second favourites if they were to meet pre-season.

future ambitions - a combination of the manager and chairman's objectives - the credibility of which can be evaluated as a function of manager reputation, current budget, feasible future income stream and historical reputation.

The precise weighting of these factors would depend on the individual and the circumstances used e.g. an ambitious, disloyal individual would be relatively uninterested in a clubs past successes and long-term ambitions. A club's reputation of past glories would increase the sentimental appeal of a transfer for a fan of that club.

Thats a great idea and its pretty realistic.

Wanderley Luxemburgo, former manager of Brazil and Real Madrid does that all the time. He personally calls every player he is interested, explains his long term plans and where the player stands on those plans. As a result, in Brazil he is always able to bring the best players to the team he manages.

i think the entire transfer/contract system is horrendously flawed and needs many things to improve, this being one of them.

also, there are not enough clauses given to players at AI clubs outside of Spain (and there it's only the normal min release fee of $180,000,000). irl if a player signed to a club just promoted to the EPL he would have a clause so as to leave if and when they are relegated back down, but in the game when i go to look at the newly relegated team there are no players going!

also, it is very difficult to get big name players ageing players to move to a lesser team. they do happen irl because they can be big fish in a little pond (i.e. Anelka to Bolton).

it would be pretty simple to implement.

player will join club if rep is greater than 4000

club rep is 3500

saying you will fiish md table adds 200

saying you will get a european place adds 500

saying you will challenge for the title adds 800

saying you will win the title adds 1000

obviously they arent actual values just examples, and it wouldnt actually add to your rep, just in terms of negotiating with the player. then if you didnt achieve this the player would be upset, comfused @felt he had been brought to the club under false pretenses' icon_wink.gif

Archived