Warning!! Filefront closes tomorrow - move any files they host now!!

As the title says, FileFront will unfortunately be no more as of tomorrow. It's all down to the economic climate and their parent company making cut-backs.

If you have any tactics, training schedules, or anything else stored there, now's definately the time to move them to another file hosting site.

Please also use this thread to offer information about other free file hosting sites that work along the same lines as FileFront have, which is to say, unlimited bandwidth - so that people will always be able to access your files.

Sad day for the internet and I doubt that FileFront will be the last.

I always preferred FileFront over any of the others because of the unlimited bandwidth and also because there was no "delay". When you wanted to download something you didn't have to wait 60 seconds and whatnot before the transfer started, or look at popup adverts beforehand. Their transfer speeds were always great. It's where I always downloaded the FM patches from.

I'm now in the process of looking for a good free alternative, but so far, they have all the things I hate... limited bandwidth... delayed transfers... popups... grrrrrrrr!! :(

I always preferred FileFront over any of the others because of the unlimited bandwidth and also because there was no "delay". When you wanted to download something you didn't have to wait 60 seconds and whatnot before the transfer started, or look at popup adverts beforehand. Their transfer speeds were always great. It's where I always downloaded the FM patches from.

It isn't ideal of course but you have to consider that the ads and waiting times + premium schemes are a major reason why these providers are still alive while filefront is now dead. Maintaining servers is in no way a cheap business.

As announced March 25, 2009, FileFront site operations will be indefinitely suspended on March 30, 2009. However a massive undertaking by a large number of the former FileFront employees and the network staff to backup all the downloads for the network sites (formerly known as the FilesNetwork) was started just before the announcement in the hopes that they can relaunch the network under a new name without the loss of any of the content.

Dunno if this is true or not seeing that it's wikipedia, but it leaves us with some hope.

Äktsjon Männ - Aye that's true. They did feature some sponsors and adverts, but none of the popup or delayed transfer promotions that other sites use. Personally, I can't understand how well the popups work. It's not as if I would particularly follow a popup advert. I guess there must be plenty who do though :(

ahmufcwafc - There's always hope then. It will definately be a big blow to the gaming community to lose FileFront. Although I don't play WoW, I read that players host a huge amount of their files on FileFront. Given WoW is probably the biggest MMORPG at the moment, that will be a lot of people affected.

I know there's a lot of people who host their FM related downloads on FileFront, hence why I posted. It would be a shame to see so much good work that's been uploaded by the forum users here go to waste.

on Wiki-

As announced March 25, 2009, FileFront site operations will be indefinitely suspended on March 30, 2009.[2][3]. However a massive undertaking by a large number of the former FileFront employees and the network staff to backup all the downloads for the network sites (formerly known as the FilesNetwork) was started just before the announcement in the hopes that they can relaunch the network under a new name without the loss of any of the content.

I can almost guarantee you that about 90% of the files on sortitoutsi for FM05, 06 & 07 will be wiped altogether tomorrow, which is really unfortunate.

You are quite correct and I think some people have started their transfers across.

Okay, so the site should've shut down yesterday, but it's still up & running. Any ideas why? The site gives no indication that it won't be closed after all, nor does wikipedia.
on Wiki-

As announced March 25, 2009, FileFront site operations will be indefinitely suspended on March 30, 2009.[2][3]. However a massive undertaking by a large number of the former FileFront employees and the network staff to backup all the downloads for the network sites (formerly known as the FilesNetwork) was started just before the announcement in the hopes that they can relaunch the network under a new name without the loss of any of the content.

ahmufcwafc - maybe that's why. They might have been able to keep the site up whilst they either backup all the info an create a new site, or they may have been able to take the site over itself. Fingers crossed eh! ;)

What are the chances of a big banner on filefront tomorrow saying APRIL FOOLS ?

its a fool .

APRIL FOOLS ? they are not closeing down take my word for it

they wanted to get as much publists by saying they will close ..its 100000000% its a APRIL FOOLS

ill even give away 1 million pounds if they close down

its a fool .

they wanted to get as much publists by saying they will close ..its 100000000% its a APRIL FOOLS

I've got that post saved and if they close I expect some money.

Yup, me too. Now, will that be a million each for peter-evo, brookie1402 and myself, or will we have to split it three ways. I of course would require the biger share for starting the thread of course. :D

If it is an April Fools joke, then I will be rather disgruntled having gone to a WiFi hotspot with my laptop to retrieve stuff I've uploaded there. My home connection is poop, so have to use my laptop and 3G/WiFi to do anything decent online. :(

Anyway, if it is an April Fools, I would offer to bare my arse in Woolies window, a-la Bernie Slaven (for those of you who remember that...), but there isn't a Woolies any more and it would be too expensive for me to fly back to the UK anyway ;)

It's not an April fools joke. No organisation would be so cruel to get everyone to go through all that trouble with such short notice only to say "Nah... just kidding". Lets face that. The only April fools we can look forward to tomorrow is the rake of threads on SI's little club investment joke.

It's not an April fools joke. No organisation would be so cruel to get everyone to go through all that trouble with such short notice only to say "Nah... just kidding". Lets face that. The only April fools we can look forward to tomorrow is the rake of threads on SI's little club investment joke.

Or youtube redirecting you to Rick rolling again.

I don't think Filefront would be so harsh, well I hope not.

Anyway, if it is an April Fools, I would offer to bare my arse in Woolies window...

I've never been so grateful for the credit crunch ;)

Seriously: There was a thread a month or so ago about patch hosting (I should know as I wrote it!). Now that the 'free hosting' model has had a pretty big nail hammered into its coffin, maybe there should be a bit of reflection about the most professional way to host their own patches. RapidShare just doesn't cut it anymore.

Or youtube redirecting you to Rick rolling again.

I don't think Filefront would be so harsh, well I hope not.

Or me posting a "SuPerZ" tactic in the T&T Forum again, with obvious anagrams of "April Fools" that so many people still fail to spot ;)
Of course, can't believe I left those two out :p

well it hasnt closed ..it was ment too yesterday .. i did point out that it was for max of Publicity

to why ... so they have gotten backer

It was two days ago they were supposed to close, not yesterday. All this indicates is that they may be holding off the closure for a few days so that they can transfer to a new site.

This is all I see sparks:

I assure you all that the forums being online at this time is not a joke or something that is temporary. What information I have is that there will be more information to be expected sometime tomorrow. I myself am not entirely sure what is going on and why the forums are back online. I'll know when you know really. I was just instructed to let you know that this is for real and not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. I know many will not believe me because of the terrible timing, but the persons that I had talked to about this would never joke with me about this sort of thing.

More to come as I find it out.

Jeff

Linky. And that's an official announcement, not one of those speculation threads you're looking at.

This thread also caught my eye...

This is all I see sparks:

Linky. And that's an official announcement, not one of those speculation threads you're looking at.

This thread also caught my eye...

ill point out this part of the line:

I myself am not entirely sure what is going on and why the forums are back online

my understanding was it was the fourms thats is going to close to be re;made

and not the main part of the site

FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

So Filefront is staying after all! Still not an April fools joke sparks ;)

So Filefront is staying after all! Still not an April fools joke sparks ;)

i did point out that it was for max of Publicity ..

i didnt think it was a april fools joke on there part .. only on the part of folk on here

The filefront website never loads fully for me anyway, I prefer it when they use rapidshare cause I have a premium account with them.

But I understand why its the prefered site for those who don't want to pay for faster downloads, especially when all you use it for is small FM files etc lol.

Its worth it if you download all sorts of large files with it though. Glad its not going down mind, would have lost a WHOOOOLE lot of files lol.

its a fool .

oo well my million pound stays in my pocket then .. its a shame

Archived