Keeper Hand Ball!

Playing Brentford in a League 2 fixture and their keeper just got sent off for handling the ball outside the box. First time I've ever seen this on any FM/CM. Anyone else ever witnessed this?

Happened to my opponent in my FM09 Liverpool save, was unlucky, was a ball hit back from half way in the air, took a bad bounce and he stuck his arm out.

Think handballs should be put in the game a bit more for outfield players especially as a good few pens are given in real life based on this. Of course, it should be done so that, also in real life, nothing is given when the ball hits the hand and the player could do nothing to prevent it. The ol' Ball to Hand situation. I've not had a single hand ball given, that I remember of anyway.

As for the OP, never seen this myself but Cech did get sent off in the CL Final a few seasons ago.

Goalkeepers are red-carded and get red injuries far too rarely in the game. As a result I never have a keeper on the bench and only have 2 in my entire squad. I do think this needs to be tweaked upwards. I wonder if SI can produce statistics to compare how often goalkeepers fail to complete 90 minutes in real life compared to the game.

I've seen it happen twice. Once when the opposition did it their keeper got a red. Once when my keeper did it my keeper got a yellow. As to players in the field getting hand balls I see it all the time.

I had my keeper sent off for a handball outside the box, and me with my theory of never having a 2nd keeper on the bench meant I played out 70 minutes with a central defender in goal, we drew 1-1 :D

As for handballs in normal play there probably is enough of them, it's just not something you'd actually notice all that often, especially if you watch only key highlights

Archived