Computer shuts down.

Sounds like it may be overheating, most computers will shut down when they get too hot to avoid serious damage.

What are your system specs? Are your graphics drivers up to date? Have you downloaded the Direct X SDK update?

If its randomly shutting down it could be getting to hot. I think computers have an emergency cut off when they get hot to save the mother board from frying. Make sure there is air getting all round it and give it a clean take the sides off and hoover the dust out. I often do. Other than that i am not to sure

To find your system specs: XP - click Start then Run, then type dxdiag. Vista - Start, type dxdiag in the search box, then run dxdiag when it appears. Post the 1st bit of the dxdiag on here

Once you have run dxdiag you can see what manufacturer made your graphics card, then you can go to their website and find the latest drivers to download and install.

The SDK update can be found here

Before you do install any of that though, give what madmike said a go, see if anything improves

Do you want just the system infomation for the DxDiag thing?

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/28/2009, 21:47:18

Machine name: MIKE-PC

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS

System Model: AMILO Li 2735

BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLM

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 3062MB RAM

Page File: 1219MB used, 5106MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Have you scanned your comp for viruses? Shutting down when you open a web page sounds a little suspicious to me

The SDK update updates all the Direct X components that your comp needs to run programs. TBH that is as far as my knowledge on the subject goes, I'm not techy enough to understand it properly

I'm downloading it now and also I have run a virus scan and nothing came up. I shall clean it out tomorrow aswell.

Is there anything else it could be?

I can't think of anything of the top of my head, but like I said, I'm not majorly techy, so I may have missed something. If it still isn't working tomorrow, then I would suggest posting in the Technical Assistance forum. It may take a while to get a response as it isn't the busiest forum, but the guys who post in there, including a few SI staff members, really know their stuff

Ok. Thanks. I was just downloading that update and it happened again. This time FM was not even loaded and it came up with 2 error messages which I did not have time to read because as soon as they appeared the computer shut down. I did manage to read the words Runtime error at the top of one of them though.

Ah right, well there definitely seems to be a bit of a major issue with your computer, could be a number of things causing it: software issues, memory problems, viruses, etc.

TBH, you are probably better off posting this up in the Technical forum or a dedicated PC help site, you will get much better help there

I had a similar problem last year and it turned out to be a rather nasty virus. In the end it basically killed my PC. I think it was a Vista update hack from memory and quite a few people got hit by it.

If you can, and you get the chance before your shutdowns, try updating your anti-virus software and doing a full scan. Hopefully that will clear up any problems as any decent anti-virus software will be well aware of what's out there.

Ok thanks guys. Is there anyway I can move this into the technical forum?

You will have to get a mod to do it for you and neither of them are online atm, so you can either just start a new thread in the Technical forum or PM one of them to see if they will move it when they come online. I would go for the former TBH

Cheers for you help. Just one last question, is a sign of over heating the base of my laptop and the side where the power charger goes in is rather hot and when you listen to it close up is quite loud?

Cheers for you help. Just one last question, is a sign of over heating the base of my laptop and the side where the power charger goes in is rather hot and when you listen to it close up is quite loud?

My laptop is always hot where the power cord plugs in, just the way it is. I would imagine the noise is your fans running to try to cool your comp down, they come on every so often in the general running of your comp anyway.

Oh, no problem BTW :thup:

Odds are, it's heat related. When your computer resets itself, if you know what you are doing then go into the BIOS and check what the system temperatures are. Or you could get download something like SpeedFan which will monitor your temps for you. If it is heat related, open your PCs case and use a can of compressed air to clean any dust away from your fans, heatsinks and coolers etc. Be careful doing this, there are plenty of online guides to cleaning inside your computer, so read one before you attempt anything.

My laptop got quite hot for a while, so I opened it up(well, took up the keyboard) and was able to remove the fan. There was a layer of dust/hair etc stopping it from getting cool air out. Once I'd cleaned it out it hasn't been remotely hot.

I'd check the heatsink fan on the CPU before you do anything as, from the OP it appears that the symptoms are exactly what you'd expect from a heatsink fan not being properly connected, or not working properly.

Just run it and it should automatically show you the temperatures. It should look something like this...

speedfan.jpg

Your temperatures will pop up one the right hand box (where the ones are in the image above - with the flame). Your CPU should be around 40C when idle.

Just to be certain, when you say "shutting down" do you actually mean shutting down or do you mean rebooting?

If the computer turns itself completely off, then my guess would be overheating as well. If it only reboots, then I would guess it's a small memory problem or perhaps a few bad sectors in the part of your hard drive where your pagefile is stored.

When I say shutting down I mean shutting down so that I have to manually turn it back on.

Thanks for that Neji. However when I open SpeedFan up it doesnt come up with anything about fans or temp. Infact in that box you show the only info it has is in the right hand box it says Core 0.41c and Core 1.41c Sometimes both rise up by 0.1c

Yes 70 is high, but I don't think it would be shutting off at that temp. Mine shuts of at 115 (I know, because I've had this very problem recently). That's for a Intel Quad core Q6600 though, so it could be different for other processors.

Does the temp drop back down when you shut FM off? And have you watched the temps up until the point when it shuts off?

I'd suggest anything under 70 will be ok and fairly stable but once you start getting over 70 then it won't be stable and I'm pretty sure that is why it will be shutting down.

Is your computer a laptop or desktop?

Archived