Following the Englishmen abroad

FOLLOWING THE ENGLISHMEN ABROAD

For years the English game has been inundated with footballers from all around the world playing in its top leagues. In particular since the Premiership era started, there’s been a huge influx of foreigners making their ways to England, with various levels of success. For every Eric Cantona with Manchester United there’s an Andrea Silenzi at Nottingham Forest, and for every Gianfranco Zola at Chelsea there’s a Marco Boogers at West Ham.

But in recent years there’s been very little talent going the other way. Possibly the most well known footballer in the world, David Beckham, has spent time in Spain, the US and Italy, but how many other big names have tried their luck overseas? Jonathan Woodgate, Steve McManaman and Michael Owen also all spent time at Real Madrid, and while McManaman won the Champions League there Owen and Woodgate had less success and have since returned to England.

In the 70s. 80s and early 90s it was more common to see English players abroad, with Kevin Keegan twice winning the European player of the year award while at Hamburg, Gary Lineker enjoying a spell at Barcelona, and Paul Gascoigne spending three years at Lazio. But with the big money deals now in England, in large part thanks to Sky’s influence, players are less inclined to leave the country.

So in this diary I’m going to follow a number of English players who ply their trade elsewhere. Obviously due to the large amounts I can’t keep tracks on all of them, but I’ll keep updates on the bigger names, as well as any youngsters with potential. When the regens start coming through I’ll see if there are any talents coming through the academies in foreign countries which I’ll also keep an eye on. Again due to the large numbers, and for my own sanity, I won’t be tracking the English playing in the other British leagues. It will only be players with English as their first nationality for now, regens may include second depending on numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE - As I stated in the Ideas thread, I was unsure about starting this as a new topic. Decided to give it a go, and hope that as I get into it I can develop a good style of updates. It’s still a work in progress though.

NOTE 2 - I’m still playing FootMan 07 with my own edited database, so there may be some inaccuracies and the timeframe is obviously a couple of years out.

NOTE 3 - The league’s being run are the top two from England, and the top league from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, and the USA.

NOTE 4 - Since starting this, I’ve realised I’ve put Robbie Fowler with the wrong Queensland side. So if we could just overlook that and pretend he’s been transferred to them instead, that would be grand.

SUMMER 2006

Robbie Fowler - Queensland Roar (Australia)

Tyrone Mears - Marseille (France) - loan from Derby

Matt Derbyshire - Olympiakos (Greece) - loan from Blackburn

David Beckham - Milan (Italy) - loan from LA Galaxy

Colin Kazim-Richards - Fenerbache (Turkey)

So as you can see, there are very few top level English players abroad at the start of the game. We all know Beckham’s situation, where he’s on loan at Milan for now, then he’ll return to the MLS at the end of the Italian season for a few months before returning to Milan in October. Kazim-Richards has Turkish roots, Fowler is past it and cashing in in a weaker league, and Mears and Derbyshire are both on loans, Mears after falling out with his boss and Derbyshire to gain experience.

In the summer 2006 transfer window there were no additional English players making the trip abroad.

JANUARY 2007

Luckily for this story, there was a huge transfer in January; Michael Owen made his return to Spain. Despite his previous association with Real Madrid, Barcelona spent £22.5million to bring him to the Nou Camp after he’d bagged 11 goals in 19 games in the first half of the season at Newcastle, as well as five more for England.

David Beckham’s season on loan at Milan has been going well so far, making 7 assists and scoring 2 goals in his 21 games. He’s now on 99 England caps and is looking forward to making his move to Italy permanent.

Robbie Fowler’s been in pretty good scoring form for Queensland, notching 10 goals in 25 games. In December there was speculation about his career when he rejected a new contract. Gareth Southgate was quoted in the media as saying he’d like to offer Fowler a return to England with Middlesbrough, and Fowler in turn said he’d happily accept any offer made. So far though an official bid hasn’t been made, and the Queensland boss has said he’s not going anywhere.

Colin Kazim-Richards has been a regular starter for Fenerbahce, having played for them 29 times so far this season. The team as a whole have been pretty poor though, dropping out of the Champions League qualifiers and the UEFA Cup, and his lack of goals, just 4 strikes to his name, hasn’t helped the cause.

Tyrone Mears has been pretty poor for Marseille, averaging just 6.11 over 27 games. In particular his Champions League form has been awful, with an average of 5.80 in his five matches. 4 goals in Ligue Un have helped keep the fans off his back for now though.

Last, and definitely not least, Matt Derbyshire must be thanking his lucky stars Olympiakos chose to take him on loan for the year. Since arriving in Greece he’s been banging in the goals, with 14 in 22 league games, 17 overall. He’s struggled a bit in Europe, only netting once in six, but he’s the top scorer for his side and is enjoying playing with them.

I'm only using those with English as a first nationality. Another as a second is fine. I have others on my list, but they are much lower profile (a few in Swedish leagues, one in Denmark, a couple in MLS). So it depends really on numbers and what happens with others whether I'll put the spotlight on them or not.

I'm only using those with English as a first nationality. Another as a second is fine. I have others on my list, but they are much lower profile (a few in Swedish leagues, one in Denmark, a couple in MLS). So it depends really on numbers and what happens with others whether I'll put the spotlight on them or not.

I know them! :D

Terry Cooke of the Colorado Rapids, and Andy Iro of the Columbus Crew iirc...

But he asked to go to San Jose, didn't he?

He just ask to traded so he can play on natural grass (BMO Field utilizes artificial field turf), the same reason why Ronnie O'Brien was traded. So Director of Soccer Operations Mo Johnston sent him to the Earthquakes for an allocation.

He just ask to traded so he can play on natural grass (BMO Field utilizes artificial field turf), the same reason why Ronnie O'Brien was traded. So Director of Soccer Operations Mo Johnston sent him to the Earthquakes for an allocation.

Is that Mo Johnston of Celtic and Rangers fame?

Good experiment by the way

Is that Mo Johnston of Celtic and Rangers fame?

Good experiment by the way

Yes that Mo Johnston. :p

Oh, and can't wait for another update Ian! It would be nice to track the progress of those Englishmen in a lower reputable league. :)

That's a silly reason.

Carl Robinson (the Welsh international) said that low living costs in Canada was the reason he loves it in Toronto.

Huckerby doesn't know what he's missing...

That's a silly reason.

Carl Robinson (the Welsh international) said that low living costs in Canada was the reason he loves it in Toronto.

Huckerby doesn't know what he's missing...

Suppose he prefers the Californian sun. :p

And I agree with the last statement. Toronto is a great city!!! You will regret it Huckerby!!! :D

SUMMER 2007 - STARS ABROAD REPORT

Since the end of the 2006 season Robbie Fowler had just been in training with Queensland and itching to play competitive football again. So when he was offered a new contract again in March he turned it down. Days later Bristol City offered him a chance to join them and he jumped at the opportunity, agreeing a deal to move to England in July after just one season of football in Australia.

Games 25, Goals 10, Assists 1, Man of the Match Awards 2, Yellow Cards 5, Red Cards 1, Average Rating 7.12

David Beckham too was on the move, but this was a move we all knew about. After the Serie A season finished he went back to LA Galaxy, where he’ll stay for just four months before joining Milan full-time in November. He made a strong contribution in his first season in Italy, playing in 44 games and creating a goal every 4 games, 11 in total as well as scoring on 3 occasions. Milan ended the season in second place, four point behind their city rivals Inter. He’ll be hoping he can pick up his overall form for future years. By the end of the season he reached his 101st international cap. Milan won the UEFA Cup, beating Everton 2-1 in the final, although D-Beck didn’t play particularly well in this tie. Along the way they knocked out Olympiakos in the Second Round, with Beckham on the opposing team to Matt Derbyshire.

Games 39 (5), Goals 3, Assists 11, Yellow Cards 2, Red Cards 1, Average Rating 6.55

Despite this setback, Matt Derbyshire continued his great goalscoring form throughout the season, eventually ending up with 25 goals to his name in 25 games. This was very encouraging for the striker, who’ll likely be back at Blackburn next season. 20 of his goals came in the league, but only 1 in Europe in 9 games, showing he may have trouble when he’s up against a higher level of opposition.

Games 51, Goals 25, Man of the Match awards 2, Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 7.16

Marseille qualified for the UEFA Cup by finishing 5th in Ligue Un, but that didn’t have much to do with Tyrone Mears. After his poor form in the first half of the season he didn’t see much playing time after Christmas, ending the season with 32 appearances to his name and a poor average rating of 6.13.

Games 28 (4), Goals 4, Assists 1, Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 6.13

On the other hand, Colin Kazim-Richards made a much better impression after Christmas than he did before for Fenerbache. While he initially didn’t score many goals, he finished with a dozen to his name. Two straight red cards indicated a mean streak though.

Games 48, Goals 12, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 4, Red Cards 2, Average Rating 6.58

Michael Owen’s big return to Spain could have gone either way. The press would have had a field day if he’d unimpressed after so much was spent on him. But Barcelona had nothing to worry about, as he scored nearly a goal a game. 13 goals in 16 games was a very good tally, and Barca were unlucky to miss out on La Liga by just one point to their bitter rivals Real Madrid. A hat-trick against Mallorca was the highlight of this run.

Games 23, Goals 13, Man of the Match Awards 3, Yellow Cards 4, Average Rating 7.17

SUMMER 2007 - TRANSFERS

IN TO ENGLAND

Robbie Fowler - Queensland Roar to Bristol City - free

Tyrone Mears - Marseille to Derby - end of loan spell

Matt Derbyshire - Olympiakos to Blackburn - end of loan spell

STAYING ABROAD

David Beckham - Milan to LA Galaxy - end of loan spell

SUMMER 2007 - REGENS ABROAD

Rather annoyingly, there were no English regens coming from abroad this year.

-------------------------------------------

I have another update written up which will come later this afternoon.

SEPTEMBER 2007

With the number of big name players abroad dropping, and no regens replacing them, the search for players to report on has widened. First up is a trio of them in the USA.

Terry Cooke (31 years old) came through the youth system at Manchester United in the same crop of players as David Beckham, but when the right winger didn’t make the grade he bounced around lower leagues with Man City, Grimsby and Sheffield Wednesday. When released by the last side though he was offered a move to America, and in 2005 he joined the Colorado Rapids. In 2006 they finished fourth before losing in the Western Conference semi-finals, but in 2007 they’ve been going very well, currently occupying top spot with two matches to go. He’s by no means been a regular though, and in the 2007 season his form, when’s he’s actually been picked, has been pretty bad. He may not have long left in this country.

Games 2(4), Average Rating 5.83

Another player who may not spend too much longer in the States is John Cunliffe (23 years old), who was mouthing off in September about wanting to move to a bigger club. The Chivas boss stated that he was going nowhere though, and for now it looks like he’s happy to stay with them. Chivas finished fifth in 2006, and they occupy the same position now. Cunliffe has done his part for them, banging in over 20 goals in the two years.

Games 29, Goals 12, Man of the Match Awards 4, Average Rating 7.14

And the final member of the trifecta is Ben Hunter (22 years old). Another striker, Hunter plays for Columbus Crew. He was the 49th pick of the 2007 super draft, and he spent most of the year at Canadian side Laval Dynamites where he performed very well. When back at Columbus, the side bottom of the Eastern Conference have only used him twice as a substitute this season, and in his 10 overall games for them he‘s only started once.

Loan - Games 13, Goals 9, Assists 1, Red Cards 1, Average Rating 7.69

Games 0 (2), Average Rating 6.50

Next up we go to the Scandinavian leagues, starting with centre-back Mark Howard at Brondby. The 21 year old is another player who was let go by Man United at a young age. In 2007/06, his first season in Denmark, he played a huge 56 games with a good rating. His disciplinary record was dreadful though, with six yellows and six red cards. In 2007/08 he’s reigned his aggression in, not once being sent off so far, but his overall form has dropped.

Games 10, Yellow Cards 3, Average Rating 6.40

Then there are two players in Sweden, which like the MLS, is a summer league. The Swedish Premier is very close to the end, and AIK are currently in second place, helped by their English right-winger Kenny Pavey (28 years old). He’s been a pretty regular fixture in their line-up, but his form in 2007 has been solid rather than spectacular. Pavey moved to AIK in 2006, after eight seasons with Ljungskile. He joined them in 1998 after being released by Sittingbourne without having ever played for them. There are several English and Scottish teams interested in bringing him back to Britain.

Games 20 (1), Assists 3, Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 7.10

Also in Sweden is James Keene, a 21 year old attacking midfielder with midtable side Elfsborg. He’s only played around a third of their league games in 2007, but has been regular in their side for European competition, chipping in with a couple of goals. He’s also being used as a tutor to young midfielder David Sulla. Before moving to Sweden he’d spent five years at Portsmouth without breaking through to the first team squad.

Games 16 (3), Goals 2, Assists 1, Yellow Cards 3, Average Rating 6.74

24 year old utility man Joe Keenan can play as left back, left winger, or defensive midfielder for Dutch side Willem II. He started his career with Chelsea, but spent a couple of seasons on loan at Belgian side Westerlo. This caught Willem’s attention, and they first signed him on loan in 2005 before making the move permanent in 2006. He’s now made over 40 appearances for them.

Games 0 (2), Average Rating 6.50

Last on the list is Omer Riza, a 27 year old striker who like Kazim-Richards has Turkish roots and this is surely an influence on him playing for Trabzonspor. He’s actually been on the books of both Arsenal and West Ham, with spells at Cambridge and Barnet before moving to Denizlispor in 2003 and subsequently Trabzonspor in January 2006. 2006/07 was a weak year for him with just 5 goals in 30 games and 2007/08 isn’t going too much better.

Games 12, Goals 2, Assists 1, Average Rating 6.42

MANAGERS

Also of note is Paul Jewell, as the former Wigan and Derby boss has now taken the reigns at Salt Lake City in the MLS. He made the move in December 2006, and his team are currently third in the Western Conference and looking good for a play-off place.

League - Games 30, Wins 11, Draws 11, Losses 8, Goals For 41, Goals Against 32, Difference +9

US Cup - Lost 2-1 in 3rd Round to Northern Virginia

JANUARY 2008

TRANSFERS

OUT OF ENGLAND

Michael Carrick - Manchester United to Real Madrid - £12.5million

PLAYER REPORTS

Denmark

Halfway through the Danish season and Mark Howard is having a solid season for Brondby, already having started over 25 games. In December he rejected a new contract though.

Games 26, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 7, Average Rating 6.92

Italy

David Beckham’s move to Milan finally became permanent in November, when he moved back to Italy after his remaining four months with LA Galaxy. He’s barely though since arriving, and is hoping his performances in training can persuade Ancelotti to give him more playing time, but as Milan are 8 points clear at the top it remains unseen whether he will change his team to include him at this stage. His final time in America saw some good performances, helping the Galaxy to second in the Western Conference. However, they lost in the end of season play-offs to Dallas.

Galaxy - Games 16, Assists 2, Average Rating 7.44

Milan - Games 2 (1), Average Rating 6.33

Netherlands

Joe Keenan’s status as a utility man has shown this year, as he’s been in and out of the side, not really building any rhythm in his performances. Even though he hasn’t played as much as he would have liked though, he’s proud of Willem II being 9th in the table.

Games 6 (5), Goals 1, Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 6.55

Spain

Michael Owen has carried on doing what Barcelona are paying him to do, as he has scored a goal every other game. He’s the side’s top scorer, but they sit only 4th in La Liga and are out of the Copa del Rey. He’s scored four times in five games for England this season.

Games 24, Goals 12, Average Rating 7.29

New to the league is Michael Carrick, as Real Madrid paid over £12million to bring him to the Bernabeu. Madrid sit second in the table and are hoping he can help them overhaul Villarreal at the top. He made a great start, setting up two goals in his debut, a 4-0 victory over Racing.

Games 1, Assists 2, Average Rating 8.00

Sweden

Kenny Pavey had a good run in to the end of the Swedish season, grabbing three assists and a man of the match award in the last six games of the year. AIK finished third, just missing out on second by goal difference. In December he signed a new contract until 2011.

Games 26 (1), Assists 6, Man of the Match Awards (1), Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 7.11

James Keene only played in three of Elfsborg’s final games in 2007, but his goal against Gothenburg was the one that kept them up. They only avoided relegation by one point, and will be hoping for better in 2008.

Games 19 (3), Goals 3, Assists 1, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 4, Average Rating 6.77

Turkey

Colin Kazim-Richards has had an improved season at Fenerbache, scoring once every three games. All of his goals have been in the league though, with none coming in European competition again. Too many yellow cards have brought down his overall rating.

Games 24, Goals 8, Yellow Cards 7, Average Rating 6.29

Omer Riza has had a terrible season for Trabzonspor so far. Just three goals in over 30 games is very poor for a striker, and a bad disciplinary record hasn’t helped him at all either.

Games 33, Goals 3, Assists 3, Yellow Cards 3, Red Cards 2, Average Rating 6.15

United States

Ben Hunter played in all three of Columbus Crew’s last three games of the 2007 MLS season as they failed to reach the play-offs. It looks like he’ll be starting 2008 in their reserve squad though.

Games 2 (3), Average Rating 6.40

Terry Cooke didn’t feature at all in the final stretch of the season for Colorado Rapids, and he’s now listed in their reserve squad. As his career may be approaching the end, he’s already considering his options in football for when his playing days are over.

Games 2 (4), Average Rating 5.83

Chivas missed out on the 2007 play-offs, despite John Cunliffe scoring three times in the final three games. This led to him again iterating his desire to leave the club, and rejecting a new contract. There were no takers in January though, so he’ll still be with Chivas for at least a while longer.

Games 32, Goals 15, Man of the Match Awards 5, Average Rating 7.22

MANAGERS

Australia

Another manager made his debut abroad, as Glenn Hoddle brought his knowledge to the Australian league for the final two months of 2007. He took over Newcastle Jets when they were bottom of the A-League, but he failed to lift them from this position despite accruing 15 points from a possible 33.

Games 11, Wins 4, Draws 3, Losses 4, Goals For 17, Goals Against 17, Difference 0

United States

Paul Jewell’s first year of football in America came to a halt in the final of the Western Conference play-offs. After finishing fourth they beat Colorado before losing to Dallas.

League - Games 32, Wins 11, Draws 11, Losses 10, Goals For 42, Goals Against 38, Difference +4

WC Play-Off Semi-Final - 3-2 (Agg) v Colorado Rapids

WC Play-Off Final - 0-3 v FC Dallas

US Cup - Lost 2-1 in 3rd Round to Northern Virginia

JUNE 2008

Denmark

In the early months of the year, Brondby were focussed on the Scandinavian Royal League. Mark Howard played as they reached the final, but unfortunately lost 2-1 to Lillestrom. His domestic league form was much better than his European, averaging 7.31 over 16 games in Denmark compared to 6.73 over 15 games in Europe.

2007/08 - Games 32, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 10, Average Rating 7.00

Italy

David Beckham’s time at the San Siro has got to go down as a failure so far, as he played just 11 times this season, over half of these appearances coming from the bench. He has already decided when he finishes playing he won’t remain in the game.

2007/08 - Games 5 (6), Assists 2, Average Rating 6.45

Netherlands

Joe Keenan was happy with Willem II finishing 9th in the league, but his manager was less happy with his performances. In March van Wijk let Keenan know he’d have to improve his game to stay in the team. He played just over half of his side’s matches, though luckily after the turn of the year more of these were starts than as a sub.

2007/08 - Games 15 (6), Goals 1, Yellow Cards 4, Red Cards 1, Average Rating 6.38

Spain

Michael Owen kept up his great goalscoring streak, ending the year with over 20 goals, and more than a goal every other game. He was Barca’s top scorer and helped fire them to winning the La Liga. He remained humble though, playing down his achievement when Pep Guardiola praised him to the media. At the end of the season he was rewarded with a new contract until 2012.

2007/08 - Games 42, Goals 23, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 1, Average Rating 7.29

Seeing as Barca won La Liga, you probably guessed that Michael Carrick came second in the table with Real Madrid. He was a regular in the team and played quite well, but you feel the fans may have expected more from him for the large amount of money that was paid.

2007/08 - Games 12 (2), Goals 1, Assists 4, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 2, Average Rating 6.93

Sweden

Kenny Pavey has had a good start to the season, only missing out on one of AIK’s games so far and playing well. Unfortunately they haven’t made a strong start overall, sitting only 10th in the Swedish Premier Division.

2008 - Games 13, Goals 1, Assists 2, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 0, Red Cards, 1, Average Rating 7.23

Elfsborg have made a better start, positioned third in the league. James Keene hasn’t made the biggest impression though, playing around half of their games, but as an attacking player will be disappointed that he hasn’t managed to score yet and hasn’t looked dangerous.

2008 - Games 8 (1), Assists 1,Yellow Cards 1, Average Rating 6.22

Turkey

Colin Kazim-Richards didn’t have a good time of it after January, only adding four more appearances to his tally and no more goals. Four of his Fenerbache team-mates outscored him.

2007/08 - Games 26 (2), Goals 8, Yellow Cards 7, Average Rating 6.25

Omer Riza’s lack of goals this season continued, notching only one more in the final 11 games. Four goals in over 40 matches is pretty appalling for a striker, and his average rating represented this. At least he created a few for his team-mates to supplement this.

2007/08 - Games 44, Goals 4, Assists 6, Yellow Cards 3, Red Cards 2, Average Rating 6.11

United States

Ben Hunter has spent most of the season so far on the bench for Columbus Crew, but when he’s been called upon he’s played well and chipped in with his fair share of goals. Despite this, the Crew remain bottom of the Eastern Conference.

2008 - Games 2 (4), Goals 4, Average Rating 7.00

Terry Cooke is not happy at Colorado Rapids, having not made a single appearance for their first team in 2008. He’s played a few times for the reserves, but he’s unsettled and is seriously considering leaving the club.

2008 - No stats

John Cunliffe is another unhappy man. Chivas are bottom of the Western Conference and this is not good enough for him, as he still wants to leave for a bigger club and is annoyed they won’t let him leave. His form has remained decent though.

2008 - Games 9 (1), Goals 3, Man of the Match Awards 1, Yellow Cards 1, Average Rating 7.10

MANAGERS

Australia

Glenn Hoddle is waiting for the Aussie 2008 season to start soon.

No stats

United States

Paul Jewell is having a pretty similar season to last year with Salt Lake, as they sit fourth in the Western Conference with a pretty average set of results so far. A couple of big names have left the side though, Abel Xavier and Clint Mathis both being allowed to leave for no fee.

2008 - League - Games 13, Wins 4, Draws 4, Losses 5, Goals For 15, Goals Against 17, Difference -2

Because I don't have the 09 version, and 08 sucked.

--------------------------------------------------

SUMMER TRANSFERS 2008

IN TO ENGLAND

After his disappointing form for them so far in 2008, Elfsborg were happy to accept an offer for James Keene when it came from St. Mirren in August. Negotiations were quick, and within a week he’d left for Scotland for 600k. This was the end of his ultimately underwhelming spell in Sweden, where in almost 60 matches he scored less than 10 goals.

2008 - Games 13 (1), Goals 1, Assists 1, Yellow Cards 1, Average Rating 6.50

Kenny Pavey also ended his spell in Sweden in August. AIK originally rejected a 475k offer from Hibernian, but when Sheffield United and Derby came in with higher offers they were accepted. He chose the Yorkshire side, and moved back to England for 775k. This was then end of a 10 year reign abroad, where he’d racked up nearly 250 games in Sweden.

2008 - Games 24, Goals 1, Assists 5, Man of the Match Awards 2, Yellow Cards 1, Red Cards 1, Average Rating 7.38

OUT OF ENGLAND

The big name transfer away from England this year was a similar one to recent Barcelona signing Michael Owen. Having also spent time before at Real Madrid, Jonathan Woodgate is back abroad after moving on a free transfer from Tottenham to Bayern Munich.

The next addition to this story was an unlikely one. After spending so long at Fulham, it’s no surprise he made a move away when his contract expired. But very few people would have expected Zat Knight to be signed up by Villarreal.

Another newcomer to this story is Jamie Davis, a 19 year old right winger on Tottenham’s books. The youngster is spending the season on loan as one of their affiliate clubs, Oostende of Belgium.

In the same situation is 18 year old attacking midfielder Mark Randall of Arsenal. He’s also at their Belgian feeder club, Gent.

And there’s another player from a London club in the area, as 19 year old striker Scott Sinclair of Chelsea is at their feeder side Vitesse Arnhem in the Netherlands.

And this year, we also get our first English regen abroad. 16 year old attacking midfielder/forward Jonathan Reid is starting his career over in Italy with Sampdoria. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like he’ll amount to much in the future. His CA of 40 won’t rise much further, as his PA is only 50.

Does that really matter? He's edited the data so it's correct (or is that your other one?).

Hate to be a pain in the arse but it does. The game code is different in FM09 so the game behaves differently (the transfer system was completely rewritten remember?). Besides from that it's a great thread.

Archived