How do you decide if a player is worth buying?

Basically, as i posted somwhere else a few minutes ago, i try to buy 1 first choice and 1 cover player for each position. Simply put, if a player is better than my first choice and is available then i buy him and sell my old cover player, unless i think he would make a coach or similar. My old first choice then becomes backup.

1. Attributes

2. Personality

3. Versatility

Thats usally the order I look at when looking at a prospective buy. I don't like players with aggression above 15, natural fitness below about 12 and teamwork has to be in double figures. Obviously if they stand out in a certain position then some of those things get pushed aside because I know they will be a quality signing no matter what.

Value also comes into it when I'm a club with not a huge budget. I also tend to buy players who are 23 years old or younger as I like to build for the future. Doesn't everyone? ;)

My default search on the Player Search is set to:

EU Nationality with 10+ for Natural Fitness, Stamina, Pace, Passing and Work Rate. (Except for GK)

If I was in the PL, I might insist on 13+ (and 8+ for Non-League) - I usually manage in the CCC so I find 10+ is OK.

Then I identify potential players and get scout reports before signing them.

I buy players for my formation.

Archived