"How do I say?" - A pronunciation thread.

Ever wondered how to say your best regen's name? Ever wanted to know if you're saying your players' names right?

If so this is the thread for you.

I'll start us off with two players from my Liverpool team.

Miralem Pjanic ( Bosnian and Herzegovinian) and César Azpilicueta (Spanish)

Can someone with the correct knowledge help me?

César Azpilicueta - See-zar As-pill-i-soot-a.

I only know that because he was playing in the Rep. of Ireland 21's - Spain 21's game that was on sky last night and thats how the commentator pronouced it. Looks like a decent player aswell :thup:

Edit:- Saying that though, commentators are the greatest at pronoucing names.......Dirk Kueiyt anyone!!!!???? ;)

http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

César Azpilicueta - type his name in the text field and select Spanish from the drop down box.

I've tried it and theres no way I could explain how to say his name!

I just did the text to speech thing with César Azpilicueta and it has just confirmed that commentators can't pronounce names very well :D

I loved this thread last time it was about, here. Should warn that it contains player names though, in the title. Sounds obvious, but some people won't click.

A few I don't know how to say are;

Henri Saivet, Bordeux, French

Gaetano Milazzo, Regen, Italian

Marco Guerini, Regen, Italian

:thup:

I loved this thread last time it was about, here. Should warn that it contains player names though, in the title. Sounds obvious, but some people won't click.

As a side note, I think people should realise that they might encounter player naming if they come in here. I'd say the majority of threads in here contain names. But anyway thats for another place.

Miralem Pjanic .... is he a regen?? cause i have him too??

No, he's real.

As I've already said, this thread isn't just for regens.

http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

César Azpilicueta - type his name in the text field and select Spanish from the drop down box.

I've tried it and theres no way I could explain how to say his name!

Cheers for this link! :thup:

As for César Azpilicueta, he is Spanish, not Latin American. So I think it usually would be pronounced as Thay-sar Ath-pee-lee-kway-ta. The "c before an e" and "z" being pronounced as a "th".

On-ree Sy-vay :confused:

Guy-tan-o Mil-at-zo

Marco Gweh-ree-nee

César Azpilicueta - See-zar As-pill-i-soot-a.

I only know that because he was playing in the Rep. of Ireland 21's - Spain 21's game that was on sky last night and thats how the commentator pronouced it. Looks like a decent player aswell :thup:

Edit:- Saying that though, commentators are the greatest at pronoucing names.......Dirk Kueiyt anyone!!!!???? ;)

Its cooet, not soot.

Cheers for this link! :thup:

As for César Azpilicueta, he is Spanish, not Latin American. So I think it usually would be pronounced as Thay-sar Ath-pee-lee-kway-ta. The "c before an e" and "z" being pronounced as a "th".

That's not correct. I don't if it is in all cases, but the C being at the start means it isn't pronounced 'Th'

On-ree Sy-vay :confused:

Guy-tan-o Mil-at-zo

Marco Gweh-ree-nee

I've always said Henry (like Thierry) Say-vay for him. Everyone seems to say it differently, like Kuyt

Thanks for the other two though. I thought Gae would be gay, but Guy seems sayable!

Cheers:thup:

Always struggled with working out how to pronounce Adem Ljajić (The new Serbian Manchester United signing) and Adam Lallana (The English Southampton kid). Probably obvious, but I always get tongue-tied with them! :)

Villalta (Peruvian)

Celsinho (Brazilian) Is it "Sell", "Chell" or "Kell"?

Grosjean (French)

Bojan Krkić (Serbian name) Cr-sich? Ker-citch?

I'd also like to point out that in the Irish name Keogh the "eogh" is pronounced "yo", not "e-o" and Fahey is pronounced "Fah-hee".

Villalta - Vee-al-ta

Celsinho - Chell-see-nee-oh

Grosjean - Grow-gee-ahn (like the Tennis player - the 'j' is soft, didn't know how to write that properly phonetically)

Bojan Krkic - Bo-yan Krick-itch/Ker-kitch (not sure)

Reidar Njoten (Norwegian) My guess would be ree-dar joe-ten,

can anyone enlighten me as to if that's right, or am I way off?

I'm Norwergian but not very good expressing names phonetically but I'll give it a shot:

Rei as in RAIn, dar as in raDAR, so very close to how you say the English word radar but not quite.

For the last name, you actually say "nj" but say it so the two letters flows into eachother... or something. the o is pronounced as the o in rob or cod. ten is just pronounced like the number ten in English.

So like: rai-dar nj-å-ten :eek:

I'm Norwergian but not very good expressing names phonetically but I'll give it a shot:

Rei as in RAIn, dar as in raDAR, so very close to how you say the English word radar but not quite.

For the last name, you actually say "nj" but say it so the two letters flows into eachother... or something. the o is pronounced as the o in rob or cod. ten is just pronounced like the number ten in English.

So like: rai-dar nj-å-ten :eek:

Thanks for that.:thup:

French guy in the Arsenal reserves. Coke-e-lan is how I've been saying it in my head.

After putting your french players name into the text - to - speech website, it sounds like the french women says it like 'Coke - lun' - although that may of course be an incorrect spelling.

Coq-que-lEEn, I think, by French pronunciation (unstressed middle syllable, stress the I).
After putting your french players name into the text - to - speech website, it sounds like the french women says it like 'Coke - lun' - although that may of course be an incorrect spelling.

"Coquelin" should be pronounced as "cohk-laN" with very little emphasis of the "n" at the end. Yonezzz pretty much got it.

Archived