No I Don't Want Your Goalie

Towards the end of last season I spent quite some time looking for a new franchise goalkeeper; after some time flirting with an old (and thus too expensive) Igor Akinfeev, I alighted on a 20-year-old regen from Bristol City who should see his way to fifteen years of service and 100 England caps when all's said and done.

At some stage the computer picked up that I was after a goalie and started offering me bunches of them. Only trouble is, a full year after I signed my choice it's still offering me every goalie who comes up, even ones from the depths of the non-league pyramid offered for £5k. What's more, the journos insist on speculating on me signing every goalie they can think of, despite my continued (and true) blanket denials.

Any idea what might have triggered this obessions with my No.1 shirt?

You would have looked at many goalies to find the one you got, therefore putting them on your shortlist. Simply remove them from your shortlist and it should solve the problem. I rarely get offered a player that's not on my shortlist and when I do, its completely random. If that doesn't solve it maybe just have to slog it out for a season and it might go away

I have had the same problem this season. My backup-goalie was unhappy with no first-team games, so he went on a loan to a championship side. I had a youngster in my reserves, so it wasnt really a problem for me.

But as soon as he was loaned out, the offers started to tick in - usually 2-3 a month. And none from shortlist, basically because I dont have any shortlist at the moment (havent bougth anyone for 3 seasons..)

Might be that the teams are looking at some players at the club and their scout reports that we

are looking for a goalie, since we only have one in the first team. Pure guess though..

Had this too, sold 2 poor backup GK's and signed 1 more competent replacement, had a talented young alternative in my reserve squad and was constantly rejecting offered GK's. Thing is, I played as 4 managers in that savegame, I use the same methods for all the teams I manage (22 1st team players and 22 reserve players, always having 4 goalies that aren't total garbage) and it was only this 1 team that kept getting offers for that specific position.

Except for having more goalies when I got hired (and subsequently more sold goalies once I'd been in charge for a while), I don't see anything that warranted this behavior.. I replaced goalies in other teams aswell.

Clear your shortlist and ignore the AI. I got into the habit of responding to speculation or AI requests or messages. It killed moral. I now just clear my shortlist, never answer the questions, and but a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE transfer (190m or 95m) fee but not list my players. The players all want to leave during the summer but once the seasons starts one or two max 3 if that, want to leave after. Compared to all of them but 2-3 before.

I have had the same problem this season. My backup-goalie was unhappy with no first-team games, so he went on a loan to a championship side. I had a youngster in my reserves, so it wasnt really a problem for me.

It has got nothing to do with who is on your shortlist, I think it's more like the AI doesn't think your back up is good enough. I've still got Cudicini as my back-up and I always get offered keepers from other clubs or are linked to other and none of them are on my shortlist as they are all back up keepers for other teams.

I get this a lot playing as QPR in the Championship. I get offered players from clubs' reserve teams (oddly mostly Germans, but also had offers from Lazio and Osasuna).

Most of them are crap, but some are decent. I reject all of them because my squad is already brimming, but they keep coming.

I got this when I sold my backup keepers who were both whining about too little first team football. I had a decent young keeper from my academy whom I used as a second choice but the game obviously thought he's not good enough and kept offering me every carp keeper on the planet. Eventually I bought one. Quite predictably he's now become unhappy as he's not getting 'enough' first team football...

The game needs to realize that backup keepers are just that - backup to the first team. No second choice keeper can expect to play half of the games and 15 appearances p/year should really be enough.

At some stage the computer picked up that I was after a goalie and started offering me bunches of them. Only trouble is, a full year after I signed my choice it's still offering me every goalie who comes up, even ones from the depths of the non-league pyramid offered for £5k.

Hey, know what? This has happened to me lately too! And I have not sold off any GKs, I have Almunia as my first goalie (he does well enough for now...) and almost every week the computer offers me a new GK. Only occasionally it offers me outfield players, and when it does they are usually not very interesting. But there seems to be a lot of unhappy GKs out there... ;)

I also need a new keeper as Akinfeev is 36 in my game, and his ratings are starting to slide. EVERY singlke keeper in my game is poor or over 36 for the good ones.

My scouts have basically scouted 3/4 of the ENTIRE keeper filter in the player list. I have had NO keeper come into my youth team since i applied patch 3 (or 5 seasons in game time). This is beyond a joke now and its killing my long term game. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Yeah, I keep getting 'linked' to goalkeepers after I bought one and sold one 18 months ago. I've just gone and deleted all scout reports for keepers, maybe that'll sort it.

Your best course of action would seem to be to ensure the AI doesn't perceive you as "weak" or "lacking depth" at GK, and therefore "need" one.

Archived